Amniocentesis - cons/pros

Old February 25th 05, 08:59 PM
Elana

Default Amniocentesis - cons/pros

Hello, all!

I would like to know your opinion: does it make sense to request
amniocentesis even if, G-d willing, there are no risk indicators for
this? Has anyone done this test without indicators and regretted it?
Has anyone NOT done this test and regretted that?

Thank you all!
Elana

Old February 25th 05, 09:38 PM
Lucy

"Elana" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to know your opinion: does it make sense to request
amniocentesis even if, G-d willing, there are no risk indicators for
this? Has anyone done this test without indicators and regretted it?
Has anyone NOT done this test and regretted that?

Amniocentesis has something like a 1:200 chance of causing miscarriage,
which in of itself was enough to deter me from having it. I would hazard a
guess that women who had it and then lost the baby would regret it.

It's a very personal decision. What would you do if you had it and then
found out there was a problem? What would you do if you didn't have it and
then gave birth to a baby with a defect? These are things to take into
account when making your decision.

I've never heard of anyone who had amniocentesis who didn't have an elevated
risk of genetic defects.

Lucy

Old February 25th 05, 09:42 PM
Irrational Number

Elana wrote:

I would like to know your opinion: does it make sense to request
amniocentesis even if, G-d willing, there are no risk indicators for
this? Has anyone done this test without indicators and regretted it?
Has anyone NOT done this test and regretted that?

Well, you asked for opinions... Here's mine. I
have NOT done amnio and do NOT regret it.
Even with indicators, we did not do it in the
first pregnancy.

But, you must do what you are comfortable with.

-- Anita --

Old February 25th 05, 10:11 PM
Nan

On 25 Feb 2005 12:59:34 -0800, "Elana" scribbled:

Hello, all!

I would like to know your opinion: does it make sense to request
amniocentesis even if, G-d willing, there are no risk indicators for
this? Has anyone done this test without indicators and regretted it?
Has anyone NOT done this test and regretted that?

Thank you all!
Elana

Both of my last pregnancies occurred after I was 35, so amnio was
mentioned to me at certain points, but I refused both times. My age
would have been the only risk indicator.
The invasiveness and miscarriage risk just weren't worth it for me,
but everyone needs to go with their own comfort level.

Nan

Old February 25th 05, 10:17 PM
Larry McMahan

Elana writes:
: Hello, all!

: I would like to know your opinion: does it make sense to request
: amniocentesis even if, G-d willing, there are no risk indicators for
: this? Has anyone done this test without indicators and regretted it?
: Has anyone NOT done this test and regretted that?

: Thank you all!
: Elana

We did not do amnio even though mom was 37 and 39 and dad was
51 and 53. We definatly do not regret it.

Given the high danger, I would think that it is rarely a
good idea.

Larry
Old February 25th 05, 10:27 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Elana wrote:

Hello, all!

I would like to know your opinion: does it make sense to request
amniocentesis even if, G-d willing, there are no risk indicators for
this? Has anyone done this test without indicators and regretted it?
Has anyone NOT done this test and regretted that?

All you can do is weigh the risks and benefits in your
particular situation:

Benefits:

- Pretty much unambiguous diagnosis of certain chromosomal
disorders, like Downs Syndrome or Trisomy 18 which

- allows you to terminate the pregnancy based on almost
certainly accurate information (although in the case
of Downs Syndrome you don't get to know the severity)
or,

- allows you to marshall resources and start preparing
to deal with any problems (which doesn't really change
anything in terms of the baby's or your health, but
may make it easier for you to cope)

Risks:

- Risk of miscarriage caused by the amnio (usually
reported as somewhere between 1 in 100 and 1 in 200,
though it does vary by care provider)

Caveats:

- A negative amnio doesn't guarantee a healthy baby.
It will not diagnose defects that are not due to
chromosomal problems, and only diagnoses the specific
chromosomal defects that are tested for. It is not
definitively diagnostic for neural tube defects, though
the amniotic fluid AFP test can indicate a risk of
an open NTD.

One of the things you'll want to factor in is your risk
based on age. If your risk of the baby having one of the
tested disorders based on age alone is very low, then
you may feel that it is more important to minimize the
risk of miscarriage. If your risk based on age alone is
quite high, then you may feel it is more important to
get definitive information.

If you prefer to terminate for certain chromosomal
abnormalities, then amnio is probably very worthwhile,
as it is the only definitive way to diagnose them.
If you would never terminate no matter what the
results, then the value of the information goes
more to your peace of mind with additional preparation.
This can be very significant for some, but others
might not feel it is significant enough to weather
the miscarriage risk.

If you absolutely know that you want the information
from the amnio, then the triple or quad screen or
nuchal translucency is probably very valuable for
you. Those screening exams have a high rate of
false "positives" (most people who have a positive
screen have perfectly healthy babies), but a very
low rate of false negatives (so if the screen is
negative, the odds that the baby has one of the
screened for disorders is very, very low).

It's a very personal choice, because everyone will
balance out the factors differently. For me
personally, I elected no screening tests and
no amnio for any of my pregnancies (at 28, 29,
and 36 years old). All three babes were perfectly
healthy.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 25th 05, 10:33 PM
Elana

Thank you very much for your replies. Your insights helped me to
formulate the real question that's been on my mind: whether a
post-amnio miscarriage is considered murder or not. Because I could
live (yes, grieve, but still find peace) with a natural miscarriage,
but would have a very difficult time accepting the fact that the baby
was killed. I am not ready to make that personal decision right now
because I don't want to put myself into a certain mindset if I will
have to make the choice based on triple screen results.

What do you think? Is a post-amnio miscarriage a "natural course of
events" occurance, or is it murder?

Thank you,
Elana

Old February 25th 05, 10:46 PM
Nan

On 25 Feb 2005 14:33:38 -0800, "Elana" scribbled:

Thank you very much for your replies. Your insights helped me to
formulate the real question that's been on my mind: whether a
post-amnio miscarriage is considered murder or not. Because I could
live (yes, grieve, but still find peace) with a natural miscarriage,
but would have a very difficult time accepting the fact that the baby
was killed. I am not ready to make that personal decision right now
because I don't want to put myself into a certain mindset if I will
have to make the choice based on triple screen results.

What do you think? Is a post-amnio miscarriage a "natural course of
events" occurance, or is it murder?

Wow, I never would have thought of it from that POV. I think it would
be an "unfortunate event" that resulted from the pregnant couple
seeking answers. Would I possibly feel guilt if it happened to me?
You bet. But I wouldn't feel like I'd murdered my baby.

Nan
Old February 25th 05, 11:10 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:59:34 -0800, Elana wrote:

I would like to know your opinion: does it make sense to request
amniocentesis even if, G-d willing, there are no risk indicators for
this? Has anyone done this test without indicators and regretted it?
Has anyone NOT done this test and regretted that?

I would never ever opt for an amnio if there are no risk factors, but then
I have a history of miscarriages and wouldn't risk another pregnancy for
anything. The risk of miscarriage is ~1% with an amnio.

I didn't have amnio with DS, and since he turned out healthy, I didn't
regret it. I won't be having an amnio this time either. We have conciously
decided against it for two reasons. One, I don't want to take the risk.
Two: whatever the outcome, I will carry this pregnancy to term anyway.

Think about what you would do if your amnio results came back with bad
news. If the answer is 'nothing', then why take the risk?

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old February 25th 05, 11:13 PM
Irrational Number

Elana wrote:

What do you think? Is a post-amnio miscarriage a "natural course of
events" occurance, or is it murder?

Interesting, I've never phrased the question that
way, but it must have been how I thought it,
because my philosophy was that I would not do
anything to endanger my child's life. So, if I had
agreed to an amnio (and toward the end there was
a lot more pressure to have one because of all
my high-risk stuff) and I lost my child, I would
have felt completely responsible, so yes, it would
have been (I can't quite say the word) intentional.

-- Anita --