More WOH questions

Old July 29th 03, 09:20 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Default More WOH questions

I know there have been a lot of pump-related questions
lately, but I can't help myself.

Taking Caterpillar to work isn't working for anyone - she
gets hot and grouchy, I can't concentrate, and we spend most
of our time packing, traveling, and unpacking. So the new
plan is that I'll work mornings and Allyson will stay with
Caterpillar, then she'll work in the afternoon.

Got up around 7am, nursed on the right. I took a shower and
got half-dressed, then pumped 3 ounces on the left around
7:30. That milk sat out to become the next meal. (We also
had a 1 oz bottle and a 2 oz bottle in the fridge.) Ate
breakfast, washed out the pump, left for work right at 8am.
Caterpillar drank all but 10ml of the 3 oz bottle between
9:30 and 10 and went back to sleep. I got home at 12:30,
pumped 3 ounces on the left, nursed on the right. About
half an hour later she nursed some from the left.

Is going 5 hours every day without nursing or pumping likely
to have any bad side effects? (Caterpillar is 8 weeks old,
and sometimes will go 5 hours between feedings at night.)

If she had 3 ounces today, is she likely to want that same
amount tomorrow? (I hate to have a dozen bottles of varying
amounts in the fridge, and it's rare I can get more than 3
ounces from one side in one session.)

If she doesn't finish a bottle, how long can the rest stay
unrefrigerated? How long refrigerated?

If a bottle is warmed, but not drunk from, how long can it
stay out? How long refrigerated? Any limit to number of
warmings? (The cream won't mix back in without some
warming, no matter how long I swirl, so this is an issue if
I want to give her one more ounce, but have a 2 oz bottle.)

Phoebe

Old July 30th 03, 07:01 AM
KC

Phoebe & Allyson wrote in message ...
Taking Caterpillar to work isn't working for anyone - she
gets hot and grouchy, I can't concentrate, and we spend most
of our time packing, traveling, and unpacking. So the new
plan is that I'll work mornings and Allyson will stay with
Caterpillar, then she'll work in the afternoon.

My first was such a sleeper that I could take her to work with me
until she was 4 months old. She would just wake up to eat and get
changed, and then go right back to sleep in her stroller. Jessica
sure isn't this way, but luckily I don't work this time.

Is going 5 hours every day without nursing or pumping likely
to have any bad side effects? (Caterpillar is 8 weeks old,
and sometimes will go 5 hours between feedings at night.)

It seems like your supply is pretty good, so I bet you can get away
with it, but if you see it drop you can always add a pump while at
work.

If she had 3 ounces today, is she likely to want that same
amount tomorrow? (I hate to have a dozen bottles of varying
amounts in the fridge, and it's rare I can get more than 3
ounces from one side in one session.)

I think it's too hard to predict that yet at this age. You will have
to wait and see.

If she doesn't finish a bottle, how long can the rest stay
unrefrigerated? How long refrigerated?

What they say is if the spit touches the bottle then you have to
discard it within 1 hour, but truthfully I've kept giving my dds EBM
that has touched their spit for 2 hours. I never have rerefrigerated
EBM after it has been partially drank. Whatever they won't finish in
that time I throw away.

If a bottle is warmed, but not drunk from, how long can it
stay out? How long refrigerated? Any limit to number of
warmings? (The cream won't mix back in without some
warming, no matter how long I swirl, so this is an issue if
I want to give her one more ounce, but have a 2 oz bottle.)

If I just pour hot water on the sides of the bottle to melt the cream
off the sides but don't actually warm up the milk, I don't count that
as a warming.

I have only once frozen milk, so I am not sure of the rules of
freezing and then warming.

KC
Old July 30th 03, 08:12 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

KC wrote:

My first was such a sleeper that I could take her to work with me
until she was 4 months old. She would just wake up to eat and get
changed, and then go right back to sleep in her stroller.

Caterpillar probably could do that, except that we work with
her grandparents, and Grandpa likes nothing better than to
poke her until she wakes up, play with her until she cries,
then hand her off.

if you see it drop you can always add a pump while at
work.

I'd really like to avoid that, if possible. It would add
about half an hour to my time away, and that half an hour is
likely to mean a second bottle -- which I'd have to provide
milk for.

What they say is if the spit touches the bottle then you have to
discard it within 1 hour, but truthfully I've kept giving my dds EBM
that has touched their spit for 2 hours.

Two hours is about what I've been going by, too.

If I just pour hot water on the sides of the bottle to melt the cream
off the sides but don't actually warm up the milk, I don't count that
as a warming.

Ah, that's exactly what I was looking for!

I have only once frozen milk, so I am not sure of the rules of
freezing and then warming.

I think frozen milk has a much shorter shelf-life than
fresh. So far, I haven't had to tap into the freezer stash.
Because I'm pumping a bit more than she's drinking, the
fresh milk is 24-48 hours old when she gets it, but I hate
to be dependent on what I can pump in the morning before I go.

Phoebe

Old July 30th 03, 08:17 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Barbara Williams wrote:

Hope some of that helps--it's been a long time since I've had to do
bottles, but I remember what a pain it was--you guys are very dedicated.

That was very helpful, thanks. I don't feel very dedicated,
just stuck between the work's need to be done and
Caterpillar's need to get breastmilk. I cannot imagine
working full-time and having to pump 3 or 4 feedings' worth
of milk. Or the exclusive pumping that some people have to do.

Phoebe

Old August 1st 03, 07:49 AM
CY

You might consider the whisperwear pump if you can't stop to pump. You just
wear it in your bra and get on with your stuff. Would certainly help with
your supply. At 8 weeks your milk supply isn't completely established yet
and I would be very cautious about not nursing/pumping for 5 hours. Your
supply most certanly will take a dive (even a small one) if you are not
getting that milk out of the breast as often as your caterpillar would
normally nurse. If I were you I would pay very close attention to your
supply, especially during growth spurts etc. to make sure it can keep up.

Good luck!

Old August 1st 03, 07:58 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

CY wrote:

At 8 weeks your milk supply isn't completely established yet
and I would be very cautious about not nursing/pumping for 5 hours. Your
supply most certanly will take a dive (even a small one) if you are not
getting that milk out of the breast as often as your caterpillar would
normally nurse.

I try to pump a bit more in the day than she drinks, even if
it means I have to pump in the evening. So today, I got two
ounces before I left, then 4(!) when I got back, but she
only drank 4 1/2 while I was gone. Not as often as she
eats, but the same volume. We'll see what happens this
weekend, when she wants to eat at times I wouldn't pump.

Phoebe