formula & obesity

Old July 30th 03, 04:18 PM
P. G. Chavez

Default formula & obesity

ted wrote and I snipped:

Formula & obesity.. How are these two related? especially since I
heard the following:

1. bfed babies gain weight much faster than ffed babies

One of the things I heard was that the baby fat put on by a breastfed
baby is a different kind of fat from child/adult fat. The fat cell is
actually different in that it can be burned off. My understanding is
that the normal fat cell can be reduced in size but never really
eliminated (w/o surgery). But babies get rid of their baby fat.

Also, I think you're confusing the idea of formula use increasing the
incidence of childhood obesity with weight gain in babies. It seems
that a formula-fed baby is at a higher risk of becoming obese years
later, not that s/he is actually obese during infancy.

HTH,
-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and Nathan [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]
Old July 30th 03, 08:56 PM
KC

I read a study about how more overweight women give up bf. The
doctors postulated it was because of the issues I listed, but I didn't
save where it was and I'm not going to look it up again :-) I think
it was on the front page of Parents Place web site one day. Then I
was just postulating that that MAY be why formula fed babies have
higher rates of obesity.

One example of a normal weight woman having endocrine issues and hard
to latch onto nipples does not a theory screw up :-)

In my own extended family has 2 obese people in it: one breastfed and
one formula fed out of 11 people. As for the other 9 people only 2
were breastfed, but that one example of my family does not bust any
theory. Theories are not busted by anecdotal evidence.

KC

Dawn Lawson wrote in message ...
KC wrote:

May have to do with the fact that more overweight women fail to bf
than normal weight women because of endocrine issues and/or nipples
that are harder to latch onto, and the children simply inherit the
predisposition to obesity rather than it being anything about formula.

Do you have ANY references AT ALL to support this????????
To screw up your theory, I am normal weight, with endocrine issues and nipples that, according to DS,
are impossible to latch onto.

Old July 31st 03, 11:59 PM
KC

I posted something like this yesterday, but I haven't seen it show up,
so I am posting again. Sorry if it gets posted twice.

I thought of a possible link between ff and obesity. I have read some
studies on pubmed about infants born in times of famine, and how they
have a propensity toward obesity. It is speculated that the body is
programmed to live with less food when not given proper nutrition
while in the womb. Perhaps the same is true of ff infants. The lack
of proper nutrition from ff might program their bodies in a way that
makes them use food very efficiently and store it as fat easily.

KC

(ted) wrote in message . com...
Formula & obesity.. How are these two related? especially since I
heard the following:

1. bfed babies gain weight much faster than ffed babies
2. babies can digest almost all of bm but only about 3/4 of ff
quantity

I could be wrong, correct me.

thanks.