vegetarian kids?

Old February 15th 05, 09:11 PM
Chelsea Tango

Default vegetarian kids?

My girls - 13 - have now decided they want to be vegetarians. We are not
a vegetarian household. I have explained to them that there is a
responsibility to their choice. They need to keep a balanced diet and
make sure they get enough essential vitamins and minerals. I'm worried
about proteins and iron. Peanut butter? What else can they eat? I told
them they have to do their own research, but as a mom, I can't help but
want to check up on them.
Old February 15th 05, 11:30 PM
Cindy Wells

If they are not doing the vegan route, they keep the eggs and dairy foods
in their menu plans (barring other food allergies). Then the soy, beans and
rice combinations give the proteins. Dark green leafy vegetables (spinach)
IIRC are good for iron.
Cindy Wells
(not a vegetarian but have dealt with a dietician on other food planning
and health needs issues)
Old February 16th 05, 07:09 AM
Jack H.

Viva fui in silvis, dum vixi tacui, mortua duce cano.
"Chelsea Tango" wrote in message
.. .
My girls - 13 - have now decided they want to be vegetarians. We are not
a vegetarian household. I have explained to them that there is a
responsibility to their choice. They need to keep a balanced diet and
make sure they get enough essential vitamins and minerals. I'm worried
about proteins and iron. Peanut butter? What else can they eat? I told
them they have to do their own research, but as a mom, I can't help but
want to check up on them.

Tofu is also good and can be prepared in MANY ways.
Any soy product for that matter, There is also soy bean Japanese style
called Edamame. VERY tasty, even to a meat eater like me!

As their parent you are also responsible for their choices, help them to
help themselves and you will have great and healthy kids!

Good luck.