why does my baby move so much during nursing

Old December 10th 06, 11:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
bestlittlecow

Default why does my baby move so much during nursing

I got very good response for my first posted question. So I am posting
this one to see if there is any Moms who have the same experience.

Some time when I nurse my baby, she moves so much. Her whole body
moves. This makes it very hard to nurse. I thought it may be becuase
she has gas. I burp her, most time can not burb anything out. Does
anyone have similar experience? Is there anything I can do to make it
better?

Thanks.

Old December 11th 06, 04:04 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Pologirl

bestlittlecow wrote:
Some time when I nurse my baby, she moves so much. Her whole body
moves. This makes it very hard to nurse. I thought it may be becuase
she has gas. I burp her, most time can not burb anything out. Does
anyone have similar experience? Is there anything I can do to make it
better?

With mine, usually they need to be burped. Or at least take a break,
catch their breath. Are you burping your baby effectively? I put the
baby on my shoulder high enough that her arms stretch over my shoulder
and her diaphram is pressed against me. That seems to help the burp
come out. And I pat the middle of the back, in the vicinity of her
stomach, not her lungs.

My new baby often will suck so hard and fast that she cannot breathe.
Then she pops off the breast and struggles for a moment to inhale.
That sometimes involves rather frantic squirming.

Sometimes squirming means the baby needs to poop. Sometimes it means
she has a poopy or very wet diaper and she is uncomfortable and wants a
clean, dry diaper. Sometimes it means she is very tired but needs help
relaxing enough to be able to sleep.

Old December 11th 06, 06:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
bestlittlecow

Thank you so much. You replied my first posted message too. Being first
time Mom is so hard. Luckily there are Moms like you who can give us
some good advice.

I will watch out for the things you mentioned. Hopefully that will help
her to eat better. I will enjoy it more too.

Thanks

Old December 12th 06, 02:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Amy Austin

On Dec 10, 6:15 pm, "bestlittlecow" wrote:
I got very good response for my first posted question. So I am posting
this one to see if there is any Moms who have the same experience.

Some time when I nurse my baby, she moves so much. Her whole body
moves. This makes it very hard to nurse. I thought it may be becuase
she has gas. I burp her, most time can not burb anything out. Does
anyone have similar experience? Is there anything I can do to make it
better?

Let's see - similar experience? The other day I was lying on my side,
and my daughter was nursing while kneeling next to me (presumably she
wanted to see Animal Planet on the TV behind me), and she tipped over
(on the bed) and fell onto her side, while still fully latched on.
Um... Ow! Nursing a toddler = nursing gymnastics!! As they grow and
they get more control of their bodies, they like to use them more, even
when they're nursing. Sometimes *especially* when they're nursing!

Try a different position. We nurse almost exclusively side-lying right
now. I'm pregnant again (23 weeks, and she's 16 months old) so it
gives me a chance to rest, too. Occasionally when my arms can handle
it, I'll still cradle her, but she's just too heavy (23 pounds!) for
that to last longer than a sip.

Now if only I could figure out how to get her to stop kicking my belly,
we'd be in business. Assuming that she doesn't just bite Lefty off or
something. Hahhaa...

Amy