Before I dump...

Old June 6th 07, 04:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default Before I dump...

....I thought I'd just double check here...

I called the Health Link here and asked, but I just want to make sure 100%
as the nurse I talked to sounded like she really was unsure.

I know the general rule of thumb for frozen EBM is 3 months in the freezer,
6 months in the deep freeze.

Should I dump the stuff that is closer to 4-5 months? DD2 just won't take a
bottle, and I had pumped and stored a few months back hoping she would take
a bottle of EBM on occasion.
Do I need to dump the stuff that has been in my freezer for more than 3
months or can it be used to mix with baby cereals or something? Is it
dangerous to give it if it's been in the freezer for say 5 months? Can it
be given or does it need to go?
I will dump, obviously, if it's the best and safest thing to do. I will not
give DD something that would hurt her stomach or is not good for her, but
I'd also hate to dump what is older than 3 months then find out later that I
*could* have used it. I can't find much with google on this, so I thought
I'd see here first!

Old June 6th 07, 05:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

On Jun 6, 11:50 am, "xkatx" wrote:
...I thought I'd just double check here...

I called the Health Link here and asked, but I just want to make sure 100%
as the nurse I talked to sounded like she really was unsure.

I know the general rule of thumb for frozen EBM is 3 months in the freezer,
6 months in the deep freeze.

Kelly mom:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html
She's got 3-6 months in the regular freezer, 6-12 in the
deep freeze.

Should I dump the stuff that is closer to 4-5 months? DD2 just won't take a
bottle, and I had pumped and stored a few months back hoping she would take
a bottle of EBM on occasion.
Do I need to dump the stuff that has been in my freezer for more than 3
months or can it be used to mix with baby cereals or something? Is it
dangerous to give it if it's been in the freezer for say 5 months? Can it
be given or does it need to go?

You are most likely OK. I gave older than 3 months milk to both my
girls with no trouble. It's also why I tried to rotate my stash,
giving
the oldest milk first.

Mary W.

Old June 7th 07, 12:53 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leann and Donald

Honestly, I used to smell and taste it first. If it's sour you can
definitely tell. (at least I noticed a distinct difference).

Good luck.
Leann

Old June 7th 07, 01:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

smell it and see!

seriously, if it smells fine to you, it's fine, even it smells off, it could
still be fine, similarly if baby eats it, it's fine, off milk is unplateable

cheers

Anne

Old June 7th 07, 01:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

And in case you'd still prefer not to feed it, just "dump" it into the
bathwater. Milk is good for the skin as far as I know. When Sam had
really dry skin and we still had a tub I'd mix oil with milk (and/or an
egg) and pour it into his bathwater and it helped with his skin. You
need the milk/egg to somewhat emulgate the oil so it doesn't all just
float on top of the water. Olive oil is pretty good for the skin but any
(edible) oil works well.

cu
nicole