Parent conference vent

Old January 13th 09, 09:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler[_2_]

Default Parent conference vent

I just got a note on these from my daughter's school, and
I'm wondering how it's handled elsewhere. I have to say, as
a mom, it almost seems like the school doesn't actually
want us to do conferences at all-the conference times are
between 1:00-3:00, when the pre-K kids leave at 11:30 and
either go to extended daycare or home, and conference times
are only 15 minutes long.

So, parents who work will have to leave work for a 15
minute conference. Parents who don't work will have to
either find child care, or bring a preschooler back to
school in the middle of the afternoon, which, for many
preschoolers, is nap time. In my case, it takes at least 15
minutes each way to GET to the school from home, too.

I'm very, very tempted to be an "uninvolved parent" and just skip the whole
dang thing!

Old January 13th 09, 10:53 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

Donna Metler wrote:
I just got a note on these from my daughter's school, and
I'm wondering how it's handled elsewhere. I have to say, as
a mom, it almost seems like the school doesn't actually
want us to do conferences at all-the conference times are
between 1:00-3:00, when the pre-K kids leave at 11:30 and
either go to extended daycare or home, and conference times
are only 15 minutes long.

So, parents who work will have to leave work for a 15
minute conference. Parents who don't work will have to
either find child care, or bring a preschooler back to
school in the middle of the afternoon, which, for many
preschoolers, is nap time. In my case, it takes at least 15
minutes each way to GET to the school from home, too.

I'm very, very tempted to be an "uninvolved parent" and just skip the
whole dang thing!

Why not share your concerns with the principal and/or the teacher?

Old January 13th 09, 10:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

Donna Metler wrote:
I just got a note on these from my daughter's school, and
I'm wondering how it's handled elsewhere.

In preschool the conferences were from 1-3 (or something like that - I
always took time off work) for us too.

In grade school they are from 4-8pm.

Ours are only 15 minutes long too - which seems way to short but I
understand they have about 25 of them to get done. I really have to
call another meeting or send a lot of emails to keep up.

--

Nikki
Old January 14th 09, 12:06 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
I just got a note on these from my daughter's school, and
I'm wondering how it's handled elsewhere. I have to say, as
a mom, it almost seems like the school doesn't actually
want us to do conferences at all-the conference times are
between 1:00-3:00, when the pre-K kids leave at 11:30 and
either go to extended daycare or home, and conference times
are only 15 minutes long.

So, parents who work will have to leave work for a 15
minute conference. Parents who don't work will have to
either find child care, or bring a preschooler back to
school in the middle of the afternoon, which, for many
preschoolers, is nap time. In my case, it takes at least 15
minutes each way to GET to the school from home, too.

I'm very, very tempted to be an "uninvolved parent" and just skip the
whole dang thing!

For kindergarden, DS was out at 1130 or so. For gr 1 and on, school is out
at 310 or something. For the parent/teacher interview things, they had them
on a Thursday, which is early dismissal anyways, and appointments were
available from like 1 after lunch until about 730 or 8 in the evening.
There's only about 18 kids in DS' class, though. At 15 mins per family,
that's about 4.5 hours of interviews, plus IIRC, the teachers get a break
around supper time.
I'm in the situation where I have the child care issue. I don't have the
work problem, but dragging 2 preschoolers around is not an ideal situation
for any one. I can't concentrate on anything if I'm constantly chasing a 2
and 3 year old around. Last meeting with the teacher, my mom came after
work to stay wtih DDs and I went just with DS in the evening after supper.
There was one time before that that I didn't go. I called the school and
talked to the teacher, though. I really don't see a point in going to the
school and spending time if it's not necessary. I do go to the first ones
of the year, however, not usually the one in the middle. If I have no
concerns, of course, and if the teacher doesn't either. I go to the first
one mainly because you can actually meet the teacher if you don't know them
very well, find out what is going on and how things are going. But, also,
other than spending some time with the teacher, I do feel that any concerns
should be addressed as they come up, not at a parent/teacher conference for
15 mins.
I wouldn't see it as a big deal to miss it. I don't think you'd be one of
the uninvolved parents because of work, childcare or other issues. A phone
call might be enough with the teacher to just make sure all is going well
and there's no real issues or concerns. I think the best is if the lines of
communication are open both ways for the parents and the teachers, not just
on set days 2-3 times a year.

Old January 14th 09, 01:04 AM posted to misc.kids
betsy

Donna Metler wrote:
I just got a note on these from my daughter's school, and
I'm wondering how it's handled elsewhere. I have to say, as
a mom, it almost seems like the school doesn't actually
want us to do conferences at all-the conference times are
between 1:00-3:00, when the pre-K kids leave at 11:30 and
either go to extended daycare or home, and conference times
are only 15 minutes long.

So, parents who work will have to leave work for a 15
minute conference. Parents who don't work will have to
either find child care, or bring a preschooler back to
school in the middle of the afternoon, which, for many
preschoolers, is nap time. In my case, it takes at least 15
minutes each way to GET to the school from home, too.

I'm very, very tempted to be an "uninvolved parent" and just skip the whole
dang thing!

Our parent teacher conferences are inconvenient too. We are only given
the exact time a few days before the conference, then need to find a
babysitter. It is a hassle. With four active kids, it can be a
challenge to find a babysitter who can manage them. I think it is
important for us to go, so we have. Things get covered in a conference
don't seem to come up in day to day communication.

--Betsy
Old January 14th 09, 03:49 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Donna Metler wrote:
I just got a note on these from my daughter's school, and
I'm wondering how it's handled elsewhere. I have to say, as
a mom, it almost seems like the school doesn't actually
want us to do conferences at all-the conference times are
between 1:00-3:00, when the pre-K kids leave at 11:30 and
either go to extended daycare or home, and conference times
are only 15 minutes long.

So, parents who work will have to leave work for a 15
minute conference. Parents who don't work will have to
either find child care, or bring a preschooler back to
school in the middle of the afternoon, which, for many
preschoolers, is nap time. In my case, it takes at least 15
minutes each way to GET to the school from home, too.

I'm very, very tempted to be an "uninvolved parent" and just skip the whole
dang thing!

Have you contacted the teacher to ask if they
have alternate arrangements for parents who are not
available during the work day? Standard practice
here is also for daytime conferences on a day when
the kids are not in school, but every teacher my kids
have had would make arrangements to meet at another
time for parents who needed that.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old January 14th 09, 09:49 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

If there are problems that need to be discussed in more detail, the teacher
can schedule a time when she/he can devote more time to the parents. If
there are no problems, 15 minutes is plenty of time. Being a teacher
yourself, you should understand that they have a lot of parents to see in a
short amount of time. If the conference times are not conveinent at all, you
can arrange another time. I have found 15 minutes ample time, if there were
no problems the child was having. Middle school and high school conferences
here are from 5-8 pm and there are no scheduled times, you just go and stand
in line to talk with the teachers (all of them, if you need to).
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 15th 09, 12:44 AM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Sue" wrote in message
If there are problems that need to be discussed in more detail, the
teacher can schedule a time when she/he can devote more time to the
parents. If there are no problems, 15 minutes is plenty of time. Being a
teacher yourself, you should understand that they have a lot of parents to
see in a short amount of time. If the conference times are not conveinent
at all, you can arrange another time. I have found 15 minutes ample time,
if there were no problems the child was having. Middle school and high
school conferences here are from 5-8 pm and there are no scheduled times,
you just go and stand in line to talk with the teachers (all of them, if
you need to).
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Are you meaning a individual parent teacher meeting (what we call parents'
evenings-regardless of the time of day) or all the class parents being told
the latest educational trick together?
If it's the individual ones then we get 10 minutes, and if you need to
discuss further then you'll arrange a time convenient for both of you to go
into more detail. You usually have the option of choosing a time between
3:00 (end of school) and 6:00 one evening and tow further evenings between
600 and 8:00.
For the group meetings they're usually about 5-30 minutes depending on
information to impart, plus questions (why is there always one parent who
wants to buzz a particular bee which is completely irrelevent!), and are
always right after drop off or right before pick up. The teachers are always
willing to see people separately if they couldn't make it.
Debbie

A single parent faces a unique set of challenges. Let me work with you to overcome them and grow into the best parent you can be! kelly Child Support 6 June 23rd 07 04:32 AM
We are trying a new conference this year [email protected] General 0 April 8th 06 11:47 PM
911 truth conference john Kids Health 0 December 9th 05 08:14 AM
Foster Parent Conference wexwimpy Foster Parents 0 April 26th 05 08:39 PM
Enforcement Conference [email protected] Child Support 14 March 10th 05 03:12 AM