What kind of TV programs do your kids watch?

Old January 17th 09, 01:14 AM posted to misc.kids
Dad[_2_]

Default What kind of TV programs do your kids watch?

I am just wondering!

My DS (almost 7yr old) likes to watch re runs of
I carly and Drake and Josh, so my 4yr old DD watches
those with him too. I think most of the episodes are okay, except
a few which contains some light kissing.

What do you guys think? My DW thinks they are
not suitable for kids. My main problem is that
they portray girls as smart and boys as dumb.
Zach and Cody is okay, but that comes only
on some weekends on ABC (at least here in Calgary)

thanks

Old January 17th 09, 02:21 AM posted to misc.kids
dejablues[_3_]

"Dad" wrote in message
I am just wondering!

My DS (almost 7yr old) likes to watch re runs of
I carly and Drake and Josh, so my 4yr old DD watches
those with him too. I think most of the episodes are okay, except
a few which contains some light kissing.

What do you guys think? My DW thinks they are
not suitable for kids. My main problem is that
they portray girls as smart and boys as dumb.
Zach and Cody is okay, but that comes only
on some weekends on ABC (at least here in Calgary)

What's wrong with kissing?
I find the Suite life of Zack and Cody creepy, because of the boys leering
over much older girls.

Old January 17th 09, 02:47 AM posted to misc.kids
Dad[_2_]

dejablues wrote:
"Dad" wrote in message
I am just wondering!

My DS (almost 7yr old) likes to watch re runs of
I carly and Drake and Josh, so my 4yr old DD watches
those with him too. I think most of the episodes are okay, except
a few which contains some light kissing.

What do you guys think? My DW thinks they are
not suitable for kids. My main problem is that
they portray girls as smart and boys as dumb.
Zach and Cody is okay, but that comes only
on some weekends on ABC (at least here in Calgary)

What's wrong with kissing?

Guess, its a cultural thing.
I find the Suite life of Zack and Cody creepy, because of the boys leering
over much older girls.

Yes, you are right but at least one of the boys is smart.

BTW, I kind of don't get it why smart one has to be dorky all
the time.
Can't an athlete be smart too in TV land.

Old January 17th 09, 04:53 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Dad" wrote in message
dejablues wrote:
"Dad" wrote in message
I am just wondering!

My DS (almost 7yr old) likes to watch re runs of
I carly and Drake and Josh, so my 4yr old DD watches
those with him too. I think most of the episodes are okay, except
a few which contains some light kissing.

What do you guys think? My DW thinks they are
not suitable for kids. My main problem is that
they portray girls as smart and boys as dumb.
Zach and Cody is okay, but that comes only
on some weekends on ABC (at least here in Calgary)

What's wrong with kissing?

Guess, its a cultural thing.
I find the Suite life of Zack and Cody creepy, because of the boys
leering over much older girls.

Yes, you are right but at least one of the boys is smart.

BTW, I kind of don't get it why smart one has to be dorky all
the time.
Can't an athlete be smart too in TV land.

I usually have better things to have bother me than children's TV shows...
But maybe that's just me...
By Calgary, do you mean Calgary AB? I'm fairly confident that kissing is
fairly common around Calgary... Unless, of course, there's another Calgary
in some far place.
If I let TV shows bother me, I'd spend all day being bothered... Spongebob
REALLY irks me... It's annoying how certain lines - or screams, whatever -
are repeated and repeated and repeated and repeated and apparently that's
supposed to be funny. Wonder Pets bugs me at times - that duck that doesn't
speak properly...
DS likes the childrens' shows as well. He'll be 8 years old in 2 weeks now.
He likes that Zack and Cody show. He likes the High School Music movie...
He also likes that 6Teen show (and I like that one too haha) and also that
"Total Drama Island" one (which I find quite funny as well) He also likes
things like The Simpsons, but I draw the line at Family Guy, mostly because
that show I can't stand.
He also is very much into other things as well - more often than not he has
the TV turned to Discovery channel or History channel. He loves shows like
Mythbusters, How it's Made, Mayday, Disasters of the Century, etc.
I don't usually let the kids' TV shows bother me and I usually don't make a
huge deal about it either. I do turn it off or change it if I do hear
anything that is foul, but I've found that, generally speaking, there's more
foul language found at recess in school and in the neighbourhood than on the
tube...

Old January 17th 09, 02:07 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Dad wrote in
:

BTW, I kind of don't get it why smart one has to be dorky all
the time.
Can't an athlete be smart too in TV land.

because it's vanishing rare for smart kids to be athletes in real
life? it's a personality thing. sporty kids would rather be outside
playing & "nerdy" kids would rather be reading/studying/doing
experiments.
sporty kids tend to be more into trendy stuff. nerdy kids find
fashion & trends irrelevent.
why should tv be any different?
BTW, i agree with you about the whole "girls are smart, boys are
stupid" thing on tv. while i realize it's backlash from the pre-70s
'girls are homemakers' thing, it's gone *way* too far the other
way, & not just on tv. classroom reading books tend to be more
appealing to girls, with a few books about sports for the boys
(leaving boys who don't care about sports in limbo). clothing is
aimed more towards girls (seriously, they get 4x the floorspace in
stores). it's next to impossible to find boy's clothes without
logos, sports related crap or licensed characters in stores (yay,
mail order).
girls get all the accomodations now & boys are second class
citizens. i'm hoping the pendulum swings back pretty soon. kids
should be kids first & treated as individuals, not by gender
associations.
lee
Old January 17th 09, 02:16 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Dad wrote:

I am just wondering!

My DS (almost 7yr old) likes to watch re runs of
I carly and Drake and Josh, so my 4yr old DD watches
those with him too. I think most of the episodes are okay, except
a few which contains some light kissing.

What do you guys think? My DW thinks they are
not suitable for kids. My main problem is that
they portray girls as smart and boys as dumb.
Zach and Cody is okay, but that comes only
on some weekends on ABC (at least here in Calgary)

I've been trying to remember what my kids watched at that age. And I
can't remember. I guess it wasn't that big a thing then. I think we
had cable for the first time because we lived in Key West and there
was no broadcast TV down that far when the oldest (DD#1) was 7 (dd#2
would have been 5 and dd#3 was a baby). But maybe not. I just don't
remember. All I remember watching was the 1968 Olympics and Rocky and
Bullwinkle - and shows like Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color,
Green Acres, Get Smart and Bewitched. In the morning there was Capt.
Kangaroo, and then Fred Rogers Neighborhood.

As for my grandchildren - one dd that's about 7 watches Sponge Bob but
that's about the only one I know for sure. And they all watch sports
as their dads are all into sports.

Old January 17th 09, 02:21 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

enigma wrote:
Dad wrote in
:

BTW, I kind of don't get it why smart one has to be dorky all
the time.
Can't an athlete be smart too in TV land.

because it's vanishing rare for smart kids to be athletes in real
life? it's a personality thing. sporty kids would rather be outside
playing & "nerdy" kids would rather be reading/studying/doing
experiments.

Huh? I think that is a huge, huge generalization that
my experience doesn't support at all, especially if kids are
given an environment where they're not pigeon-holed into
stereotypes. In my kids' center based GT classes (where
the bar is reasonably high to get in), there are definitely
stereotypically nerdy kids, but there are plenty of kids
of all types. My sons are very physically active. A very
good friend of DS1's is a sports machine (one or two sports
in every season, and good at all of them right along with
the robotics club and other intellectual pursuits). Some
of the girls are into fashion, and others aren't. Some
of the kids have great social skills and are quite popular,
and others aren't.

Smart kids aren't all of a kind. We just push
them in that direction with our own prejudices, and I
think that does them a huge disservice. Let them be
themselves and smart kids will display as much variety
in interests and personalities as any other group of
kids.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old January 17th 09, 05:42 PM posted to misc.kids
Dad[_2_]

Kat wrote:
"Dad" wrote in message
dejablues wrote:
"Dad" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it is Calgary, AB. Yes, I do hear that there are kissing corners in
elementary schools. I meant I don't like to see public affections.

If I let TV shows bother me, I'd spend all day being bothered... Spongebob
REALLY irks me... It's annoying how certain lines - or screams, whatever -
are repeated and repeated and repeated and repeated and apparently that's
supposed to be funny. Wonder Pets bugs me at times - that duck that doesn't
speak properly...
DS likes the childrens' shows as well.

My DS and DW used to watch Treehouse,they still likes some programs
there. Now DS prefer YTV.

He'll be 8 years old in 2 weeks now.

Old January 17th 09, 05:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Dad[_2_]

Ericka wrote:
...deleted..

Smart kids aren't all of a kind. We just push
them in that direction with our own prejudices, and I
think that does them a huge disservice. Let them be
themselves and smart kids will display as much variety
in interests and personalities as any other group of
kids.

Best wishes,
Ericka

My DS play hockey and he is smart.
Hopefully, he will grow up to be a brainy athlete.
Old January 17th 09, 05:59 PM posted to misc.kids
Dad[_2_]

enigma wrote:
Dad wrote in
:

[...]

I thought it is just on TV, thanks for the info about class room
readings etc., at least I know what to expect now.