Need suggestions: toys to bring on airplane for a 1-year-old

Old January 2nd 04, 06:18 PM
dodo

Default Need suggestions: toys to bring on airplane for a 1-year-old

Hi,

We will be traveling with a one-year-old toddler cross Pacific (13+ hours)
and need some suggestions as to what toys might be good. I guess like all
babies, he prefers shiny, complicated things that can be open/close, torn,
making sound, lights etc. I plan to be bring a few of them he's never seen
and use them from time to time on him. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

DD

Old January 2nd 04, 06:51 PM
Leigh Menconi

"dodo" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,

We will be traveling with a one-year-old toddler cross Pacific (13+ hours)
and need some suggestions as to what toys might be good. I guess like all
babies, he prefers shiny, complicated things that can be open/close, torn,
making sound, lights etc. I plan to be bring a few of them he's never

seen
and use them from time to time on him. Any suggestions?

When my oldest was about that age, I took along one of my husband's old
socks and used it as a "tickle-puppet". We got lots more mileage out of it
than any of the store-bought toys I brought along.

Leigh

Old January 2nd 04, 07:13 PM
Daniel Ganek

dodo wrote:

Hi,

We will be traveling with a one-year-old toddler cross Pacific (13+ hours)
and need some suggestions as to what toys might be good. I guess like all
babies, he prefers shiny, complicated things that can be open/close, torn,
making sound, lights etc. I plan to be bring a few of them he's never seen
and use them from time to time on him. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

DD

Be wary of noisy toys - the other passengers may not appreciate them
as much as the baby :-) Also, make friends with the cabin attendants
they can be very helpful with small children. When we traveled from
Moscow to NYC, the attendants took turns play with our newly adopted
children. Of course, children were a pretty rare occurrence on that
run.

/dan

Old January 3rd 04, 02:18 AM
Chris Himes

"dodo" wrote in message .com...
Hi,

We will be traveling with a one-year-old toddler cross Pacific (13+ hours)
and need some suggestions as to what toys might be good. I guess like all
babies, he prefers shiny, complicated things that can be open/close, torn,
making sound, lights etc. I plan to be bring a few of them he's never seen
and use them from time to time on him. Any suggestions?

One of the things my kids really enjoyed was a roll of tape. THey
liked sticking it to their fingers, pieces of paper, etc. It was
something different adn not a normal "toy."

Chris
Old January 4th 04, 05:39 PM
Marnie

"Chris Himes" wrote in message

One of the things my kids really enjoyed was a roll of tape. THey
liked sticking it to their fingers, pieces of paper, etc. It was
something different adn not a normal "toy."

That's funny, because I was going to suggest a pack or two of post-it notes.

--
Marnie

Old January 4th 04, 09:01 PM
HCN

"dodo" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,

We will be traveling with a one-year-old toddler cross Pacific (13+ hours)
and need some suggestions as to what toys might be good. I guess like all
babies, he prefers shiny, complicated things that can be open/close, torn,
making sound, lights etc. I plan to be bring a few of them he's never

seen
and use them from time to time on him. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

DD

There is something called "My Quiet Book". It is a cloth book with things
to do on each page... button a button, a zipper, put things in a pocket,
match shapes, etc. I think there are several variations.

Old January 5th 04, 03:02 PM
Elizabeth Reid

"dodo" wrote in message .com...
Hi,

We will be traveling with a one-year-old toddler cross Pacific (13+ hours)
and need some suggestions as to what toys might be good. I guess like all
babies, he prefers shiny, complicated things that can be open/close, torn,
making sound, lights etc. I plan to be bring a few of them he's never seen
and use them from time to time on him. Any suggestions?

One of our best travel toys has been a set of stacking cups (bought
at the dollar store). He likes to see how they fit together, when
that pales they can be stacked up and knocked over, things like
cereal pieces can be put in and taken out, etc. They're just
now starting to lose their allure at 16 months, and of course they're
cheap so if they get left behind on the trip it's no big deal.

At around that age I think we also brought lots of books, his toy
telephone with buttons that make noise when they're pressed, and
a shape sorter. We also got a lot of mileage out of 'found' toys
like leftover crinkly plastic from Mommy's in-flight pretzels,
stickers, keys, and so on.

Beth
Old January 5th 04, 03:47 PM
Irene

"dodo" wrote in message .com...
Hi,

We will be traveling with a one-year-old toddler cross Pacific (13+ hours)
and need some suggestions as to what toys might be good. I guess like all
babies, he prefers shiny, complicated things that can be open/close, torn,
making sound, lights etc. I plan to be bring a few of them he's never seen
and use them from time to time on him. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

DD

Not a specific suggestion, but I did happen to notice that Once Upon a
Child (resale children's store) had a ton of toys when I was there a
week ago. Apparently, everyone unloaded stuff right before the
holidays so they could make room for new stuff - so you might want to
check out similar places near you for good deals.

Irene