Need help with credit reporting issue

Old April 8th 05, 07:56 PM
rederived

Default Need help with credit reporting issue

Years back I found out about a daughter I never knew about. When the child
support order came through of course I owed back child support which was
not a problem.

Since I live in CO and the child lives in TN, my support order was set
here in CO for TN.

By law of course CO is reporting my balance to the credit companies.
That is not a problem. The problem is TN is also doing it. It appears on
my credit report as two different things when in turn it is not. I recall
reading that federal law inidcates only the state with the order can
report but I cannot find that info.

Can anyone give me info on this or some links to find this info?

Old April 8th 05, 09:38 PM
frankjones

TN initiated a UIFSA petition to the state of CO requesting establishment
of paternity and an order of support and full enforcement services. They
then go into their system and code it so that credit reporting is turned
off - a code like "AP-O" (absent parent out of state.) If this has not
been done, then both TN and CO will report. You need to have your agency
in CO contact TN and have TN report to the CBRs that they erroneously
reported you to them. They will then remove the information in its
entirety and CO will continue to report. Good luck! fj

Old April 9th 05, 06:22 AM
Beverly

Information contained in credit reports cannot be duplicates of the
same debt and one must be removed from your credit report. Dispute
the TN report stating that it is duplicating the CO debt. The
reporting agency MUST remove it unless it finds this to be untrue...
which it isn't.