Indestructable Bite-Proof Pacifiers?? Desperate request!

Old April 28th 04, 03:54 PM
Denise Anderson

Default Indestructable Bite-Proof Pacifiers?? Desperate request!

"Nikki" wrote in
I went to an occupational therapy work shop
once. Some kids (big kids or even adults) chew on things as a sensory

need.
They actually make a thing called a fidget (I have the site saved

somewhere
if you want it) but the OT said aquarium tubing works just fine. A person
can chew away and it doesn't break to pieces.

my middle DD uses aquarium tubing to chew on sometimes. We actually got it
from her preschool (she goes to a preschool for children with
disabilities).. but it lasts forever.

Denise

Old April 28th 04, 05:19 PM
Nikki

Robyn Kozierok wrote:

Does anyone know of a brand of particularly tough pacifiers?

I was looking for something else and accidently found this. I'd guess it is
probably tougher then the ones you can buy in a store. The pen suspender
thing (on the same site) is the other item I was thinking of and I know it
is tough. Much older kids chew on them without a problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2madm

This is the same link. I've never used the tiny url thing before so I'm not
sure I did it right.

http://www.pdppro.com/shop/shop3.php...category=5&sub
number=1

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old April 28th 04, 05:26 PM
enigma

"dejablues" wrote in
:

Look at some photos on orthodontists websites of kids
mouths with "open bites" cause by prolonged usage of
pacifiers. You could always give him a piece of tire tread
to gnaw on!

um, that's kind of rude. obviously *you* don't have a child
with oral sensory problems.
yes, pacifiers (or thumbs) may cause bite problems if the
child is sucking hard on them. however, *this* child is
chewing, which may be wearing on the teeth if he starts
chewing the metal ferrules on pencils, but isn't likely to
cause bite problems (i slept with my thumb in my mouth until i
was 14 & only stopped by tying a sock over my hand at night...
which became another sleep crutch that i had to break later.
sensory issues are very complicated... and i have a perfect
bite, thank you).
for the OP, take a look at these
http://tinyurl.com/3at7k

i think they're hard plastic & you'd want to loose that
string for a toddler, but they might work as a transition to
something else.
this site has chewy tubes & Ps&Qs
http://tinyurl.com/3bqaj
oh, & First Steps makes a vibrating teether. it's star shaped
with a handle. my 3.5 year old loves his. he says it's a good
calmer. he never took to pacifiers (our OT suggested we try
them when he started therapy for sensory integration disorder
at 25 months), but he likes the chewy star... and he also
chews clothing
lee

Old April 30th 04, 08:08 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Nikki wrote:
Robyn Kozierok wrote:

Mam's website says that latex is more bite-resistant than silicone.
So that will be my next purchase, I guess...

I'd probably vote for a natural elimination. Once he's chewed it to bits
maybe he'll just realize he has to do without?

Well, no. For starters, of course we don't let him to "chew it to bits"
but take them away at the first sign of a tear or puncture. Also due to
other things that are going on in his life right now, it is not a good time
to take away this comfort, though we continue to repeat the pacifier
fairy story and occasionally ask if he is ready to leave them out for` her.

We did buy a pair of latex pacifiers and they do seem to be a bit more
bite-resistant. And he doesn't love them as much as his old kind, so
that may make it easier for him to give them up eventually. I did
contact PDP products about the oral fidget pacifier but their
representative said it was very hard plastic and probably not suitable
for this situation.

Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Old April 30th 04, 08:08 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
dejablues wrote:
Look at some photos on orthodontists websites of kids mouths with "open
bites" cause by prolonged usage of pacifiers.

Thanks for your concern. His dentist doesn't think he uses the
pacifier in such a way as to interfere with his bite.

--Robyn

Old April 30th 04, 09:52 PM
Nikki

Robyn Kozierok wrote:

Also due to other things that are going on in his life right now, it
is not a good time to take away this comfort,

I certainly understand that!

I did
contact PDP products about the oral fidget pacifier but their
representative said it was very hard plastic and probably not suitable
for this situation.

Shoot I didn't know that. I thought it was softer. Well I hope those other
ones you mentioned work out!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 1st 04, 04:13 AM
Marion Baumgarten

Silicon tends to flake less easily than rubber, so would give that a try and
if he still chews holes in the pacifier then maybe he will give it up on his
own because it will not "feel right". My nephew used a certain style that
was discontinued and when holes developed in the nipple, he stopped of his
own accord.

Marion Baumgarten

Old May 1st 04, 04:54 AM
Banty

In article , Marion
Baumgarten says...

Silicon tends to flake less easily than rubber, so would give that a try and
if he still chews holes in the pacifier then maybe he will give it up on his
own because it will not "feel right". My nephew used a certain style that
was discontinued and when holes developed in the nipple, he stopped of his
own accord.

Marion Baumgarten

SiliCONE. Silicon is pretty brittle.

Cheers,
Banty

Old May 1st 04, 09:16 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Nikki wrote:
Robyn Kozierok wrote:

I did
contact PDP products about the oral fidget pacifier but their
representative said it was very hard plastic and probably not suitable
for this situation.

Shoot I didn't know that. I thought it was softer. Well I hope those other
ones you mentioned work out!

It did *seem* like a good lead. I appreciate the pointer anyhow. It
seems like a good resource to keep in the back of my mind, in any case.

Thanks,
--Robyn

Old May 1st 04, 09:16 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Banty wrote:
In article , Marion
Baumgarten says...

Silicon tends to flake less easily than rubber, so would give that a try and
if he still chews holes in the pacifier then maybe he will give it up on his
own because it will not "feel right". My nephew used a certain style that
was discontinued and when holes developed in the nipple, he stopped of his
own accord.

SiliCONE. Silicon is pretty brittle.

The silicone ones were the ones he was biting through. The latex rubber
ones seem to be toughter. Mam's website claims latex is more bite-resistant
than silicone (at least in the thicknesses used for pacifiers) and that
does seem to be holding true. We got a pair of latex rubber ones sometime
last week, and they are still in good shape. He doesn't seem to love them
like his (also discontinued) usual brand, so we are hopeful that that will
make it easier for him to give up soon as well.

Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
--
Support a family business and learn about the technologies underlying
the Internet with the TCP/IP Guide! http://www.tcpipguide.com