Ugh. DS, the accident waiting to happen...

Old September 9th 08, 01:56 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default Ugh. DS, the accident waiting to happen...

In article , toypup says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , toypup says...

"Banty" wrote in message
Maybe heading to the hospital? Would you ask the same question if Dad
was
SAHP? The school called home and Mom was home. If Dad was home, Dad
would
be going to the hospital.

Whats this connection between home and hospital??

Dad may be on his way to the hospital to meet the ambulance? He may be at
work too far away? She might be a single mom?

Toypup - I *asked*.

Let's wait for the answer.

Yes, well, I just feel that you have this chip on your shoulder about it
always being assumed that mom is SAHP, and also why is Mom SAHP versus Dad,
and why is Dad never expected to be there. Where's Dad? is always your
question. Sometimes, Dad doesn't want to be there or Mom doesn't want to
burden him, both of which are unfortunate. I think most times, when Dad is
around but isn't there, it's because he's working, sometimes far away,
sometimes at a job that would fire him for taking off. Yes, Mom can work,
too, but Dad as SAHP is just not how it is most times.

BTW, I know some awesome SAHD's. It's too bad they don't often feel they
have that choice. Maybe they're so good at it because when they do choose
it, they really do choose it (because it is not what society would
encourage), so they must really enjoy it and work hard at it.

I didn't say *anything* that even approached that there should be a SAH Dad. As
I asked you before, what's this connection between who's at home and who can go
to the school or hospital??

First of all, I *aksed*. Just *asked*. I didn't insinuate, I *asked*.

I *do* think parenting should be shared. So when I see this big hole where it's
to be assumed it's All Up To Mom, then I ask questions. So shoot me. I don't
think that should go without sayin' because it reinforces that.

But honestly, I don't recall what Kat's situation is so I'm ASKING.

Banty

Old September 9th 08, 02:35 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Banty" wrote in message
In article tMexk.158514$nD.57521@pd7urf1no, Kat says...

Well, the second call from the school came in. They said they had to call
the ambulance and right now, as I was talking to the secretary, she said
paramedics were checking DS out. She's going to go and talk to the
paramedics and see and call me right back. Not that it's a huge deal, but
am fearing this ambulance bill. Maybe that's real stupid and selfish on
my
part, but I don't think I could handle dealing with that again.
School called again, so they're taking him via ambulance. Gotta go now.
This sucks.

Sorry I forget - where's the other parent in the daytime?

Banty

He works during the day.

Old September 9th 08, 02:37 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , toypup says...

"Banty" wrote in message
[...]

What I'm thinking is - without three smaller ones at home, Dad may be able
break away more easily to get to school to pick up the boy. Which would
have
avoided a lot of this.

Look - she's calling Mom, she's calling neighbors. There's a conspicuous
absence of mention here...

Banty

Oh, no. He was at work. Unfortunately, he doesn't drive (he bikes on a
pedal bike) and works during the day. I also have no way to reach him at
work even if I really needed to at the time being. Even if I would have
been able to get a hold of him, it would take him a good 30-45 mins to bike
home from the job site he's at, yet my mom would be able to drive to the
school in less time than that or asking a favor of the neighbour's next door
would be even faster.
I didn't have the time to elaborate much at all.

Old September 9th 08, 02:42 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , toypup says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , toypup
says...

"Banty" wrote in message
[...]

Whew. Well, I did say above somewhere... He was at work. He also isn't
able to just take off and leave (firstly, I have no way to reach him at work
right now... He also bikes to and from work, which takes at least a good 30
mins. We also desperately need the money right now, so him taking off
work... well, it was just easier as my mom is still off from holidays from
work for the next couple days, she drives, she was home and available... it
just made more sense)
Also, since it sorta was brought up, I do stay at home full time. If I was
the one between us that made the better money (let's just say for argument's
sake *I* was the successful lawyer and his career choice was something like
a Walmart door greeter, then he would be staying home and I would be
working. Just makes more sense, to me and him anyways, that the one capable
of making more money is the one that is out working while the other that
clearly does not make as much money should stay home - seeing as any money I
was making would almost completely go towards childcare...
But anyways, he was at work and it was just easier (even though it doesn't
seem that way) that I didn't go driving around the areas he might or might
not be in working.

Old September 9th 08, 03:01 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article Mpkxk.160674$nD.24305@pd7urf1no, Kat says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article tMexk.158514$nD.57521@pd7urf1no, Kat says...

Well, the second call from the school came in. They said they had to call
the ambulance and right now, as I was talking to the secretary, she said
paramedics were checking DS out. She's going to go and talk to the
paramedics and see and call me right back. Not that it's a huge deal, but
am fearing this ambulance bill. Maybe that's real stupid and selfish on
my
part, but I don't think I could handle dealing with that again.
School called again, so they're taking him via ambulance. Gotta go now.
This sucks.

Sorry I forget - where's the other parent in the daytime?

Banty

He works during the day.

No way for him to get to the school for a family emergency?

Banty

Old September 9th 08, 03:04 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article Cwkxk.80424$hx.819@pd7urf3no, Kat says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , toypup says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , toypup
says...

"Banty" wrote in message
[...]

That's fine. It makes sense. I was just asking. I don't like how a lot of
times people just don't think that Dad could just do these kinds of things, but
sitautions vary, and if he's far off to work with a bike for transport, that's
how it is.

Also, since it sorta was brought up, I do stay at home full time. If I was
the one between us that made the better money (let's just say for argument's
sake *I* was the successful lawyer and his career choice was something like
a Walmart door greeter, then he would be staying home and I would be
working. Just makes more sense, to me and him anyways, that the one capable
of making more money is the one that is out working while the other that
clearly does not make as much money should stay home - seeing as any money I
was making would almost completely go towards childcare...
But anyways, he was at work and it was just easier (even though it doesn't
seem that way) that I didn't go driving around the areas he might or might
not be in working.

I have no problem with you deciding to SAH.

Banty

Old September 9th 08, 03:08 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Well, as it turns out, DS is alright.
He has a massive goose egg on his head. He also seems to have a huge bruise
on top of the contusion on his noggin.
I guess what I heard happen (from the school) was that it was morning recess
at school. He was playing soccer with the other kids, as I know he often
does. He somehow managed to go head first into the school's fence post (DS
said it was the goal post that he hit, not a fence post, but in the end,
what's the difference) No one (adult) on supervision actually saw what
happened - some other kids were there and they were the ones that ran to get
either one of the teachers on supervision at the time outside or the
principal. DS said he didn't get knocked out - he said he did close his
eyes but heard everyone all around him (I must keep in mind that this is a 7
year old, so anything is possible and I really don't know if he really knows
what 'unconcious' means, but again, whatever)
So they took DS in to the school and put some ice on his head, where there
was already a huge bump. By huge, I mean it looked like he had a golf ball
under his skin on the side of his head, towards the front, just above his
hair line. Once they saw the bump, that is when they called me, and they
had put ice on it. Right after the school called, that's when I called my
mom who said she would go to the school (rather than come here and stay with
DDs while I went, it was just easier and made more sense for her to go
straight to the school) So, I called the school right back - probably
within about 1-2 mins, and told them my mom was on her way right then and
would be about 20-30 mins to get there at the most. I just basically said
to keep me updated, and they said if anything happens or something changes,
they would call an ambulance and would keep me updated for sure.
So then about 10 mins after that, the school calls again and said they had
called an ambulace. While on the phone with the school secretary, I called
my mom's cell from mine to see where she was as there were paramedics
checking DS out right then at the school. My mom was about 5 or so mins
away, or so, but the paramedics were saying he should go to the hospital
right away.
I just told the school that my mom was almost there, but if the paramedics
were saying he should go now, then just to send him in the ambulance. I
then got both girls up, threw some shoes and jackets on them, tossed some
diapers and a few toys into a bag and into the van we went to meet my mom at
the hospital.
We get to the hospital and parking is a nightmare, as always, so on my
second loop around the lot, an ambulance pulls in so I stopped right behind
it. Just so happens DS and my mom are in that one and I actually scared my
mom when I came up to the ambulance (van sitting there idling, girls still
in their seats, door wide open...) my mom asked how I made it there so fast.
I guess the ambulance was just getting ready to leave when my mom pulled up
to the school and left her car to be moved by the principal and went in the
ambulance with DS (the principal was actually in the ambulance at the time
to go with DS so he didn't have to go alone, but he got out and stayed
instead.
So, we ended up spending probably a good 6 or maybe even more hours at the
hospital. They checked DS out, put him through the CT scan just to be sure.
He just has a massive bump on his head but no concussion, skull fracture or
bleeding on his brain or anything. Now he just gets to take it easy - skip
out on gym class, not be running around at recess and he'll miss the next
couple of football practices. But, other than that, I'll give him some
Tylenol or something and he can just rest. He seems to be feeling a bit
better - he had a good, long sleep at the hospital, which I guess is good
for him (and didn't help with DDs!)
It's not as bad, I guess, as it looks. Still looks horrible, and he does
say it hurts quite a bit, but he's not complaining too much. He can have
some Tylenol to help if he does have a bit of a headache or his head is a
bit sore still, but at least it's not the end of the world. He just seems
like he's always getting hurt quite a bit. I don't know if that's just a
boy thing or if it's something he's inherited... lol He's so much like my
one clumsy, accident prone younger brother. So much like him it's scary

Old September 9th 08, 03:10 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Banty" wrote in message
[...]

No, not really. He could, I'm sure, if it was absolutely necessary... But
by the time he made it all the way there, we'd have been sitting around
waiting for the better part of an hour. That's assuming I was able to get a
hold of him.

Car accident... xkatx Single Parents 8 February 14th 06 06:12 AM
Car accident A&G&K Pregnancy 5 June 14th 04 05:47 AM
Car accident last night Sophie Pregnancy 59 May 25th 04 04:35 AM
Car Accident CME Single Parents 12 September 28th 03 04:34 AM
Scary - Car accident Rupert Pregnancy 7 August 15th 03 02:54 AM