I need help

Old November 4th 04, 10:50 PM
Terri and Rob

Default I need help

My problem is with my older son, not my twins persay. We have gone into
storage and dug out all the old baby toys that Colton once had but outgrew.
The problem is that he will not let the girls play with them. Whenever I
give one of the girls a baby toy, Colton gets angry, snatches it back,
saying it is HIS. These toys are far below him, and he does not play with
them. He just does not want the babies to play with them either. Any
suggestions?

--

Terri & Rob
Colton (11-29-00)

Old November 5th 04, 12:17 AM
Seth Jackson

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:50:30 -0500, "Terri and Rob"
wrote:

My problem is with my older son, not my twins persay. We have gone into
storage and dug out all the old baby toys that Colton once had but outgrew.
The problem is that he will not let the girls play with them. Whenever I
give one of the girls a baby toy, Colton gets angry, snatches it back,
saying it is HIS. These toys are far below him, and he does not play with
them. He just does not want the babies to play with them either. Any
suggestions?

Perhaps you can give him two choices: either let the babies play with
them or give them away to charity.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...ypictures.html

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net
Old November 5th 04, 04:04 AM
Nick Theodorakis

wrote:

My problem is with my older son, not my twins persay. We have gone into
storage and dug out all the old baby toys that Colton once had but outgrew.
The problem is that he will not let the girls play with them. Whenever I
give one of the girls a baby toy, Colton gets angry, snatches it back,
saying it is HIS. These toys are far below him, and he does not play with
them. He just does not want the babies to play with them either. Any
suggestions?

How about if you ask him to show the babies play how to play with the
toys? Maybe if feels part of the action he won't be so protective.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis

contact form:
http://theodorakis.net/contact.html
Old November 6th 04, 06:59 PM
GwenO MS

Colton is only four years old, and you really can't expect him to 'understand'
that the toys that WERE his, are now....NOT. I worked with a Dad who was angry
with his 4 year-old because they had planted a garden for HIM (the child) and
when a neighbor came over, Dad gave her lots of tomatoes and other veggies from
the garden and his son had a hissy fit. Dad yelled at him for being selfish
and put him in his room.... THEN asked me what I thought of the child's
actions. My comment: "Normal." After all, it was HIS garden, and Dad just
gave stuff away without even consulting with the 'owner.' You might want to
consider letting Colton be part of the decision-making process regarding giving
away "his" toys. Maybe it would make a mess, or overcrowd a room -- but how
about bringing some of the toys up from storage and asking Colton to decide
when his sisters should have some of the 'baby' toys that he's outgrown, and
remind him that he now has 'big boy' things to play with. Also -- since my
twin grandsons are almost four -- we notice that they like to briefly play with
the baby toys, then lose interest, as they are coming up from the basement to
go to a yard sale or to charity. Since the toys were his, let them still be
his...and his to give (not yours to give).
Good luck!
Grandmom Gwen