psych meds for kids: my concerns

Old September 21st 03, 03:01 PM
Mark Probert

Default psych meds for kids: my concerns

Pure bilge from the Kriminal Kult of $cientology
"Theta" wrote in message
om...
(Ted Shoemaker) wrote in message

. com...
Hello,

I need your advice and wisdom.

This post isn't intended to give the
impression that meds are
ALWAYS GOOD or ALWAYS BAD.
Let's start with the guess that meds are
somewhere in between: both good and bad, and
deserving of a critical examination.

Consider a child who is diagnosed with a
cluster of neurological and/or psychiatric
disorders, and the doctors wanted to give
him/her some meds. I don't know when it's a
good idea to treat with meds, and when to
refuse.

Hi Ted. It is good that you are cautious and are willing to
investigate this subject. My first question to you is what
"neurological/psychiatric disorders" has this child been labelled
with? No psychiatric "disorder" or "mental illness" has any scientific
validity whatsoever. Diagnoses for any such "ill" is based on
subjective conjecture, with reference to the vague descriptions used
within the DSM IV (the Diagnostic & Statistics Manual), the
psychiatric "bible" of all mental "disorders".

Because of this, one must ask what a drug, or worse - a drug
"cocktail", is being proposed for? They are not "correcting" anything.
They have the same effects on people with or without these
"illnesses". They "work" in the same way pot "works" for a dude who
wants to "chill out". If there is a "desirable" effect then
wooohooooooo! Here's the prescription! Well, cocaine has a "desirable
effect" too, as does any 'recreational drug'. But most people know
that such drugs are harmful and can damage the brain and body through
repeated use. Fortunately, people are finally learning the same with
regards to psychiatric "medication". Did you know Effexor's just been
banned for under-18s in the UK? That's 2 down. About time too.

My advice. Quit agreeing with psychiatric terminology. Quit using it.
If someone tells you that your kid has a "mental illness" or a
learning "disorder", simply ask them how the f*^k they know that? Ask
them for medical evidence. Tests, scans, you name it. You'll
eventually realise that they really don't have a clue and that it's
all a bunch of baloney.

Take your kid for valid medical testing, to make sure that
"psychiatric symptoms" are not the result of an underlying PHYSICAL
problem. Check also for allergies, for vitamin/mineral deficiences, or
for psychological issues that can be addressed. Use exercise,
relaxation, self-help if needed. Visit
http://www.alternativementalhealth.com also for advice and information
on how to help your child.

For additional advice, up-to-date news, support and further resources,
please visit http://groups.msn.com/psychbusters

All the best
Mike

--

Decoding Psychiatric Propaganda
http://groups.msn.com/psychbusters

Old September 21st 03, 04:32 PM
Mike Gormez

(Theta) wrote in message . com...

Folks, 'theta' here is Scientologist poster. Don't get fooled. The
cult has not the best interest of your child in mind (or theirs -
www.taxexemptchildabuse.net) but because their founder L. Ron Hubbard
decreed that the psychiatric profession is responsible for all the
crime in the world, his little minions like 'theta' here do their
diligent work of their puppet master.

FYI, Scientology says that there aren't any mental illnesses and
requires its members to sign release forms stating such. Recenlty
these contracts emerged after one of their members (Lisa McPherson -
www.lisamcpherson.org) died after 17 days of isolation and was force
feed drugs against her consent.

Ask yourself if you would let your kid sign the following and do away
with his/her family in time of need:

"I do not believe in or subscribe to psychiatric labels for
individuals It is my strongly held religious belief that all mental
problems are spiritual in nature and that there is no such thing as a
mentally incompetent person-- only those suffering from spiritual
upset of one kind or another dramatized by an individual. I reject all
psychiatric labels and intend for this Contract to clearly memorialize
my desire to be helped exclusively through religious, spiritual means
and not through any form of psychiatric treatment, specifically
including involuntary commitment based on so-called lack of
competence. Under no circumstances, at any time, do I wish to be
denied my right to care from members of my religion to the exclusion
of psychiatric care or psychiatric directed care, regardless of what
any psychiatrist, medical person, designated member of the state or
family member may assert supposedly on my behalf."
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.e...n-Release.html

Mike Gormez
--
http://whyaretheydead.net
Old September 21st 03, 10:42 PM
Theta

"Mark Probert" wrote in message .net...
"Theta" wrote in message
om...
"Mark Probert" wrote in message

.net...
"Ted Shoemaker" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I need your advice and wisdom.

This post isn't intended to give the
impression that meds are
ALWAYS GOOD or ALWAYS BAD.
Let's start with the guess that meds are
somewhere in between: both good and bad, and
deserving of a critical examination.

I disagree with your premise entirely. Medications are neither good or

bad,
but useful or non-useful.

Would you say the same for cannabis, cocaine or ecstasy? These drugs
are no doubt "useful" to those that take them.

Actually, yes. The first two seem to have a valid medical use. I am not
aware of a possible medical use for the last.

Giving Ritalin to a child for "ADHD" is not a "medical use" because
there is no such disease. It is a label given to a person exhibiting
particular behavioural traits that, listed in the DSM IV, the APA
considers to be a "mental illness". Diagnoses are based solely on
subjective conjecture, NOT in medical science.

What would you do if you found out your child used cocaine regularly?
Or ecstasy? Serious question. What would you do?

Mike

Old September 21st 03, 11:23 PM
jake

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:22:51 GMT, "Roger Schlafly"
wrote:

"PF Riley" wrote
[usual ad hominem attack snipped]
Second, look at the actual evidence that the meds are safe and
effective. Some of the drugs have never been tested on kids, and
most only appear to be only marginally effective in adults.

Most? Give some examples of drugs that are only marginally effective
in adults, with citations. ...

Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft. Even under studies that were cooked to favor
the drugs, they only performed marginally better than placebos.
Eg, see this study from last year.
http://www.journals.apa.org/preventi...e0050023a.html

oh dont confuse him with the facts.

Improvement at the highest doses of medication was not different from
improvement at the lowest doses. The proportion of the drug response
duplicated by placebo was significantly greater with observed cases
(OC) data than with last observation carried forward (LOCF) data. If
drug and placebo effects are additive, the pharmacological effects of
antidepressants are clinically negligible. If they are not additive,
alternative experimental designs are needed for the evaluation of
antidepressants.

__

"In its recent infatuation with symptomatic, push-button remedies,
psychiatry has lost its way not only intellectually but spiritually
and morally. Even when it is not actually doing damage to the people
it is supposed to help,…it is encouraging among doctors and patients
alike the fraudulent and dangerous fantasy that life's every passing
'symptom' can be clinically diagnosed and, once diagnosed, alleviated
if not eliminated by pharmacological intervention."

Paul R. McHugh
Professor of Psychiatry,
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

Old September 22nd 03, 04:20 PM
Markuss Probertuss

More pure bilge from the Kriminal Kult of $cientology.

"Theta" wrote in message
om...
"Mark Probert" wrote in message

.net...
"Theta" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My son wouldn't. he realizes the differences between medication and drug
abuse.