formula in the mail

Old August 16th 04, 01:11 PM
Stormlady

Default formula in the mail

Today I got a package in the mail. I was kind of excited because I never
get packages in the mail, then I opened it and saw it was baby related so
that was great too. Till I opened it and discovered a container of formula.
How do they even get my address?? I'm not planning to use it so I guess it
is just a waste on their part to send it, but I guess they are looking for
potential customers. who knows, maybe I filled something out online that
said I was pregnant. My Dr. knows I am planning to breastfeed so I can't
see them getting my address from her, but who knows?!?

Old August 16th 04, 01:55 PM
Rosenugga

If you want to get rid of it donate it to a local shelter. Whe DD was born I
was given a bunch of premix formula by someone I know. Even though I breastfed
we did use some of it. I donated the rest to a battered women's shelter. They
were really happy to get it.

Rose
Mamma to Caity Feb 13 1999 ( Daddy's best birthday present)

Old August 16th 04, 03:07 PM
Naomi Pardue

I guess they are looking for
potential customers.

Yup. That's the ploy. And they ESPECIALLY tend to target bfing moms since they
know that moms who plan to formula feed will already be buying formula, so
there's no point in sending them freebies. (The idea is to get you to have
formula in the house so, should you hit a rough patch, it will be ready and
waiting for you!)

They could have gotten your address from your OB practice, or if you subscribe
to parenting mags, or from any of a wide range of on-line sources.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old August 16th 04, 04:03 PM
CY

If you bought any maternity clothes from Motherhood they could have got it
from there - they are notorious for it!

Old August 16th 04, 06:26 PM
Tori M.

"Stormlady" don't@ email.me wrote in message
Today I got a package in the mail. I was kind of excited because I never
get packages in the mail, then I opened it and saw it was baby related so
that was great too. Till I opened it and discovered a container of

formula.
How do they even get my address?? I'm not planning to use it so I guess

it
is just a waste on their part to send it, but I guess they are looking for
potential customers. who knows, maybe I filled something out online that
said I was pregnant. My Dr. knows I am planning to breastfeed so I can't
see them getting my address from her, but who knows?!?

If you cant use it you can donate it to either the local WIC office or to a
food kitchen. They probably bought your info from anouther baby related
site/ product.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old August 16th 04, 06:52 PM
Bóliath

Rosenugga wrote:
If you want to get rid of it donate it to a local shelter. Whe DD was born I
was given a bunch of premix formula by someone I know. Even though I breastfed
we did use some of it. I donated the rest to a battered women's shelter. They
were really happy to get it.

Great idea! Thanks. I've been getting samples in the mail too, I don't
knwo who sold on my information, it's intrusive and irritating but I
haven't thrown out the samples I didn't want to waste them, now I know
what to do!

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,
signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not

Old August 16th 04, 06:57 PM
Nan

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:41:23 -0230, "Stormlady" don't@ email.me
scribbled:

Today I got a package in the mail. I was kind of excited because I never
get packages in the mail, then I opened it and saw it was baby related so
that was great too. Till I opened it and discovered a container of formula.
How do they even get my address?? I'm not planning to use it so I guess it
is just a waste on their part to send it, but I guess they are looking for
potential customers. who knows, maybe I filled something out online that
said I was pregnant. My Dr. knows I am planning to breastfeed so I can't
see them getting my address from her, but who knows?!?

I got several of those, too. I gave them to a coworker whose DIL is
formula feeding.

Nan
--
"when the sun goes down we'll be groovin'
when the sun goes down we'll be feelin' alright,
Old August 16th 04, 08:18 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Rupert wrote:

even if you do BF you are likely to
have a need to use formula at some point.

As a WOHM, I can think of times where I might have *wanted* to use
formula, or *chosen* to use formula, but the vast, vast majority of BF
moms don't *need* to use formula.

I don't remember what we did with the sample packs of powder (maybe gave
them to a FF mom who needed them), but the one sample can of RTF we took
on a long road trip to Las Vegas when Caterpillar was 9 weeks old. It
was for use "if we're in a horrible car accident in the middle of
nowhere and you have to abandon my dead body to the vultures and walk
miles through the desert to find help, and Caterpillar happens to get
hungry along the way, BUT NOT FOR ANY OTHER REASON." Since I didn't die
in the desert, it expired unopened.

Personally, I see free formula samples as being as beneficial to society
as free cigarette or alcohol samples would be, and the same explanations
could be used to justify giving away any of the three.

Phoebe