favorite parenting book?

Old November 16th 04, 06:14 AM
Mother Earth

Default favorite parenting book?

This is a curiosity question, probably unrelated to anything of any
importance, but here goes. I run an online used bookstore and I just
realized that I've really got a ton of parenting books. While most of my
books are offered on consignment for local charities, I see that most of the
parenting books are actually ones that I bought and read. (Luckily I bought
most second hand since there are really a good number of them.) Having
read so many of them and still working on the perfect parent thing, I was
wondering about other people's opinions.

So, if you have a few minutes and the inclination.

Which parenting book is YOUR favorite? Why?

Thanks!

denise

The Compulsive Reader

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Compulsive-Reader

Old November 16th 04, 02:08 PM
GwenO MS

I was actually going to list some of my favorite books...but first went to your
website and to other "parenting" newsgroups, to see that you've cross-posted.
I don't think you are a 'regular' on any of these groups, and I don't know that
ADVERTISING is accepted on this group. Finally -- I see that your prices are
VERY high, and can't even begin to compete with those of us who ALSO list books
on eBay (you advertised your store there on many newsgroups). So... for the
group members here and elsewhere who are tempted to take a look at her site --
it's a waste of time, and could be a waste of your money.
Grandmom Gwen (who is NOT advertising my ebay stuff here)
Old November 16th 04, 06:04 PM
Mother Earth

WOW! I'm guessing that you were having a really hard day.

Yes, I did cross-post because I was curious to hear from people with
different perspectives on parenting and those people hang out on different
groups. I'm not sure how you define regular, but I'm guessing you consider
only people who post rather than people who read. There are a lot more of us
lurkers than active posters that most people realize. There's really
something to be said for listening (reading) without feeling the need to
reply immediately. I often suspect that Usenet would be a friendlier place
if people more often waiting a bit to think about posts before firing off
replies.

I'm also really curious how you decided that my books are "VERY" high since
the most expensive parenting book I have for sale is under $4 for a like new
hard cover. Curiousity, if you think that $2 - $4 is much too high for books
that sell for $10 to $30 new, what do you consider a rational price?

Denise

Old November 16th 04, 06:39 PM
Mother Earth

Gwen,

I just realized why you thought my prices were so high. I think you were
seeing some collectible books from the 1800s that I'm listing on consignment
for local charities. If you look at the Family, Parenting section you'll
notice that there really is nothing over $3.95.

Also, my aplogies to anyone who was offended by the business reference. I'll
be sure to leave my store URL off of future posts. It appeared in the first
one mostly because I've defined my signature file to insert it automatically
so I don't forget when I'm replying to bookstore customers.

denise

Old November 16th 04, 07:02 PM
H Schinske

Denise ) wrote:

Gwen,

I just realized why you thought my prices were so high. I think you were
seeing some collectible books from the 1800s that I'm listing on consignment
for local charities.

Some of those may indeed be priced too high -- e.g., the ex-library odd volume
from _Pictorial History of the World's Great Nations_, which you have priced at
$75. Odd volumes from this set start at $15 on ABE, and a complete five-volume
set is available for $125.

--Helen
Old November 16th 04, 07:29 PM
Mother Earth

Thanks for the tip; I'll need to recheck the price on that one. It's very
hard to price the items from the 1800s because the conditions vary so
wildly. On items I'm listing for charities, I also try not to list too low.
(The stuff that was mine to begin with, I'm just happy to send on to a new
home. It's what my husband calls our continuing effort to get all the extra
stuff out of our house by mailing it to Iowa

Seriously though, I do try to price items at the low end of current market
value. The book store is kind of new to me, something I've been doing for
the last 5 months or so. I'm still trying to find that magical balance
between being here for the kids and adding a bit to the family coffers for
such frightening things as upcoming college tuition. (Brr.... Scary stuff!)
I also try to have a positive impact at the same time. That's why about 3/4
of the items I have listed are on consignment for local charities. It's not
a lot, but I have been able to pass on around $800 so far.

Like most things we do with and for our families, it sometimes gets awfully
complicated -- like trying to find accurate prices for centuries old books

denise