A teenager question

Old July 25th 03, 11:35 PM
kasha

Default A teenager question

"T.R.H." wrote in message t...
"kasha" wrote in message
m...

kasha

tough love time....
contribute and get your ass in gear or get out...

I've got a cousin EXACLTY like you describe, he's now 49, living with my
aunt & uncle *again*, works when he feels like it, knows damn well he should
get off his ass but is not motivated, knows theres always that safety net I
guess.

Other than that he's a good guy, no bad vices or crap like that, actually
had him work for me a couple of times & he's not afrain of work, just cant
get motivated because he's never been pushed to, and he's the type that
needs it

cheers

Those are words I say so often but now have to backup with the real
live action. Unfortunately, it won't be easy since he won't leave on
his own. Am I'm afraid that at 49 he'd still be with me !!!!!! One of
these days I'd like to start having a full life again ...... not stay
at work late so I don't have to go home. 6:30 on a Friday night and I'm
still toying with a project I'm working on ... pretty sad.

That's exactly it though ... a safety net, safe harbor, a meal and
clean clothes and an easy life! It's hard to believe someone who used to
be so active with snowboarding and rock climbing and biking can just
settle for an such unsatisfying life .... and it has to be unsatisfying.

Thanks for the boost,
kasha
Old July 26th 03, 08:20 AM
R. Steve Walz

kasha wrote:

When my very smart son walked out of high school at 17 I was
in a similar position. He was in the midst of choosing a college.
He had an opportunity to attend tuition-free. I thought he would
be the child who went to college far away and would never come
home. But that was not to be ... he dropped out and arrangements
were made for him to attend a local community college. I worked
with his high school to get him in and try to prevent losing him.
He skipped classes and failed everything ... except guitar class.

To make a long story short ... that's been going on for 4 years
now. I did not have the heart to kick him out at 17. In the past
4 years he has attend 4 different colleges, earning 15 credits
one semester and failing every other. I have tried every suggestion
made. Even had his family doctor come visit (a surprise to my son).
He is now 21 and and has done nothing. Won't work, won't help around
the house. Pretty much plays the guitar and surfs the web all day.
Being on the technical side, I interrupted the cable signal at one
time so
we had no TV and not cable internet access for a few months to help
get him going. I thought he would get bored and get the message. Nope,
didn't work. Friends and family try to talk to him and he agrees with
everyone that he should be working and contributing.

I've been a single mother of 2 (sole custody) for 12 years now.
You try desperately to be supportive and understanding while they
find their way and it takes each child a different amount of time.
But it can't go on forever and sometimes you reach the point where
enough is enough .... and that's where I am. But do I have what it
takes to do it? I don't know ......... I just know he won't go on his
own (I've tried that) and it would have to be done with the help of a
court order. Ahhhhh, the joys of parenting!

kasha

"Marijke" wrote in message .. .
"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
dejablues wrote:
My guess is that you don't have teen-agers. I think you have to play

this
one by ear. Some kids will need it, some won't.

I have teenagers and I still wouldn't kick one out at 17 for not wanting to
go to school. I'd insist on rules, jobs, stuff like that, and only *then*
might I consider the "sorry, but maybe you need to live on your own route"
but a "good" kid who doesn't do drugs, has good friends and works at a part
time job? That's not a kid worth kicking out, that's a kid that is rebelling
at the only thing he can safely rebel at it.

I don't consider her a wise parent. I've seen (yes,I've seen it), "good"
kids who went "bad" after getting kicked out. They figured, hey, my parents
think I'm trash, I might as well act like it.

Marijke
mom to three kids, two of whom are teenagers

-------------------
You obviously pushed him into one thing after another trying to get
him sorted out so you didn't have to worry about him. You would be
shocked at the murderous rage this generates in kids. As Dr. Phil
would say, "How's that workin' for ya?" You clearly have avoided
ever REALLY getting to know him and what HE likes, and simply giving
him support for that. Instead YOU had your OWN somewhat rigid ideas
for what he "should" be.

So, at some point he simply gave on his life up and stopped altogether,
out of resentment. He's waiting for you to finally love him for what
HE wants to be, and he doesn't even consciously know that this is what
he is doing. He feels paralyzed and aimless. He really wishes secretly
that he had parents who actually liked him and what HE had wanted to
do. Before he leaves in any kind of good shape you'll have to give that
to him, or his only other departure will be under less than the best
circumstances, and his life will continue to be paralyzed.
Steve
Old July 26th 03, 08:21 AM
R. Steve Walz

T.R.H. wrote:

"kasha" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You've got it absolutely ass-backwards. He was always pushed and always
disliked it, and he learned to resist it by paralysis.
Steve
Old July 26th 03, 06:41 PM
kasha

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message ...
T.R.H. wrote:

tough love time....
contribute and get your ass in gear or get out...

I've got a cousin EXACLTY like you describe, he's now 49, living with my
aunt & uncle *again*, works when he feels like it, knows damn well he should
get off his ass but is not motivated, knows theres always that safety net I
guess.

Other than that he's a good guy, no bad vices or crap like that, actually
had him work for me a couple of times & he's not afrain of work, just cant
get motivated because he's never been pushed to, and he's the type that
needs it

cheers

-------------------
You've got it absolutely ass-backwards. He was always pushed and always
disliked it, and he learned to resist it by paralysis.
Steve

Although I do believe that is a valid theory in some cases, I have to
disagree that it applies to my situation. No, my son wasn't pushed.
That's not my style. I'm pretty liberal and have always let the kids
have a say in things. My son was motivated in the past to do things he
enjoyed, like sports, camps, jobs, etc. If I was the pushy type he
would have been long gone. It was his choice to leave school and I
didn't make him stay. I was the mom who did his paper route so he
could go skiing and have the fun kids are supposed to have. If
anything, that could be the problem, that I wasn't pushy enough ...
but then he was a motivated and driven youngster and didn't need
pushing, wouldn't have stood for it anyway. He's just become lazy,
stubborn, and defiant. Says he didn't ask to be brought into this life
and so justifies his behavior with that ... that the world owes him or
more to the point ... I owe him. It's not paralysis ... it's downright
selfishness.

kasha
Old July 26th 03, 08:15 PM
blacksalt

kasha wrote:

It's hard to believe someone who used to
be so active with snowboarding and rock climbing and biking can just
settle for an such unsatisfying life .... and it has to be unsatisfying.

Has drugs or a mental illness crossed your mind?
Old July 26th 03, 08:53 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:12:03 GMT, Wendy Marsden
wrote:

kasha wrote:
I was the mom who did his paper route so he
could go skiing and have the fun kids are supposed to have.

Oh, dear. I've been doing it backwards. I thought *they* were supposed
to earn their fun money.

I agree that kids should hold their own jobs and earn their own money

That said, I think the occasional ski trip, scout trip, type thing is
not unreasonable for a kid.

In my case I did it because my kids couldnt find substitutes, and for
them not to deliver would have been unfair to the customers.

Usually averaged a week, maybe two a year. Also did it when said kid
was sick, and drove him through blizzards

Barb

Wendy

Old July 26th 03, 08:59 PM
toto

T.R.H. wrote:

[...]

What seems to have demotivated him then?

If I was the pushy type he would have been long gone. It was his
choice to leave school and I didn't make him stay.

What did you do though to see that he took some responsibility
for himself after he did leave school?

Was he working?

Did you ask him to contribute to the household expenses?

I was the mom who did his paper route so he could go skiing
and have the fun kids are supposed to have.

This, imo, is a major mistake. If he took on a paper route,
then it is his responsibilty to complete the tasks involved
not youre.

If anything, that could be the problem, that I wasn't pushy
enough ... but then he was a motivated and driven youngster
and didn't need pushing, wouldn't have stood for it anyway.

If he was driven, what changed?

It is interesting because I don't think this kind of change
just comes out of nowhere. Is it possible that he failed
at something he really wanted to do and it affected his
perception of himself? Could someone at school have
been bullying him? Is it possible that he was abused in
some way and did not want to tell you?

He's just become lazy, stubborn, and defiant. Says he
didn't ask to be brought into this life and so justifies his
behavior with that ...

This would worry me because it sounds like depression.

Have you noticed any other behavior that leads you to think
he may be self-harming? So many kids cut or end up with
eating disorders today, that I would check on these possibilities
too.

that the world owes him or more to the point ... I owe him.
It's not paralysis ... it's downright selfishness.

If he says *you* owe him, have you spoken to him about
why he thinks this.

It seems to me that there is some failure of communication
here that needs to be addressed.

kasha

Take what you thinks help from this and leave anything that
you think you can't use.

I would... ask him to sit down and talk with you about what
changes need to be made in your household.

First, ask him to define the problems as *he* sees it.

Don't judge. Take notes and write down what he says
Reflect back what you are hearing to be sure you have it
right. Validate his feelings, but not the actions that you
dislike.

Then talk about how everyone in a household needs to
contribute to its well-being.

Ask him how he thinks you contribute, ask him how
he thinks others in the house contribute.

Brainstorm new ways to make the household run smoothly
Since he is no longer in school, ask him what he wants to
do with his life. What are his dreams? Don't judge and
allow all of the far fetched fantasies as well as practical
things to come out. You may want to write this list down
too. Add your own dreams and fantasies about what you
would like to do and be too.

Then see if you can each choose one of those dreams
and make a list of practical ways to make them come
true.

Make sure that you make a plan to revisit the strategies
and evaluate how they are going at some future date too.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 26th 03, 11:14 PM
toto

wrote:

kasha wrote:
I was the mom who did his paper route so he
could go skiing and have the fun kids are supposed to have.

Oh, dear. I've been doing it backwards. I thought *they* were supposed
to earn their fun money.

I agree that kids should hold their own jobs and earn their own money

That said, I think the occasional ski trip, scout trip, type thing is
not unreasonable for a kid.

I don't think trips are unreasonable, but I do think that kids may
have to give up trips when they take on a job. And they should
actually realize this when they take the job on

In my case I did it because my kids couldnt find substitutes, and for
them not to deliver would have been unfair to the customers.

Yes, it would be unfair to the customers. OTOH, it is an important
lesson in priorities - that they must sometimes decide between
two things that are important and that when they take a job, they have
to cope with the consequences if they cannot find subs to help them

Usually averaged a week, maybe two a year. Also did it when said kid
was sick, and drove him through blizzards

When he was sick, I think it is a good thing to help him. But
blizzards? I don't know that people expect paper delivery during
a blizzard anyway. Once the blizzard is over, then he could probably
still deliver the paper on his own.. We certainly managed here when
we were young.

Barb

Wendy

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 26th 03, 11:34 PM
R. Steve Walz

T.R.H. wrote:

[...]

-------------
The "pusher" always denies it.

That's not my style. I'm pretty liberal and have always let the kids
have a say in things. My son was motivated in the past to do things he
enjoyed, like sports, camps, jobs, etc. If I was the pushy type he
would have been long gone.

-------------
Doesn't take much. You literally have to stifle yourself to keep
from harming his motivational dynamic.

It was his choice to leave school and I
didn't make him stay. I was the mom who did his paper route so he
could go skiing

------------
Why?

and have the fun kids are supposed to have.

--------------
Supposed to? Who said?
Gee, I thought MY PAPER ROUTE was fun.

If
anything, that could be the problem, that I wasn't pushy enough ...

--------------
That's what "pushers" in denial ALWAYS say. They secretly always believe
they didn't push hard ENOUGH, so they minimize TREMENDOUSLY!

but then he was a motivated and driven youngster and didn't need
pushing, wouldn't have stood for it anyway. He's just become lazy,
stubborn, and defiant.

------------------
Now why in the world would he do that unless you actually pushed him?
What in the world would be his motivation? You see, kids HAVE TO GET
THAT FROM SOMEWHERE!!! You were pushing the **** out of him and denying
it.

Says he didn't ask to be brought into this life
and so justifies his behavior with that ... that the world owes him or
more to the point ... I owe him. It's not paralysis ... it's downright
selfishness.
kasha

He obviously is feeling that way for a reason. Now think: If you had
always been his best friend who encouraged him in everything HE wanted
to try and NEVER had pushed him at something he didn't like, WHERE DID
his current disappointment come from?? It DOES NOT COME FROM NOWHERE,
there is NO NOWHERE for it to COME FROM!! It comes precisely and exactly
from the way you treat him! Everybody knows this about parents and
children, so why do you deny it? And it's time you come to grips with
it, because YOU'RE in HUGE DENIAL!!
Steve