Strengths of Dyslexia

Old December 26th 07, 11:11 PM posted to misc.kids.health
[email protected]

Default Strengths of Dyslexia

A lot of people focus on the weaknesses of Dyslexics,and they don't
even understand those. They don't even consider the strengths of
Dyslexics,and those even have less understanding. Dyslexics are
visual,imaginative,lateral,global,intuitive,pictur e thinkers.

People who are very bright can be dyslexic. They are often capable or
even gifted in areas that do not require strong language skills, such
as art, computer science, design, drama, electronics, math, mechanics,
music, physics, sales, and sports.
http://www.interdys.org/ewebeditpro5...inal_81407.pdf

* Often very competent in oral language
* Relies on memory; may have an excellent memory
* Often has good "people" skills
* Often is spatially talented; professions include, but are not
limited, to engineers, architects, designers, artists and
craftspeople, mathematicians, physicists, physicians (esp. surgeons
and orthopedists), and dentists.
* May be very good at "reading" people (intuitive)
* Are often entrepreneurs
http://www.interdys.org/SignsofDyslexiaCombined.htm

(I listed on the strengths of Dyslexia from the Signs of Dyslexia)

Strengths
While there is concern about how dyslexia manifests itself negatively
as a learning difficulty, research has highlighted some positive
aspects to being dyslexic.
Many dyslexic people are good at architecture, engineering and other
creative arts. They can also be good at acting, lateral thinking and
often make good managers in people-related occupations.
If given the appropriate help for their areas of difficulty, there is
no reason whu a dyslexic person should not be a high achiever and/or
gain a university degree - many have done so.
http://www.dyslexia.eu.com/strengths.html

Possible strengths.
* Innovative thinkers.
* Excellent trouble shooters.
* Intuitive problem solving.
* Creative in many different ways.
* Lateral thinkers.
http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/whatisdyslexia.html

Dyslexia is not a 'disease' that someone should or can be cured of. It
is a type of mind, like any other, with its own particular strengths
and weaknesses. We all have different talents - things we are good at
and things we find hard. Dyslexic children, teenagers and adults find
spelling and sequencing hard, but also have other areas at which they
excel - sometimes creativity, physical co-ordination, lateral thinking
or empathy with others. The important thing is to raise people's
confidence!
http://www.dyslexia-test.com/dyslexia.html

Significant Strengths of people with dyslexia
Although their unique brain architecture and "unusual wiring" make
reading, writing, and spelling difficult, most people with dyslexia
have gifts in areas controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain.
The right side controls:

* artistic skill
* athletic ability
* musical ability
* mechanical ability
* people skills
* 3-D visual-spatial skills
* vivid imagination
* intuition
* creative, global thinking
* curiosity
http://www.dys-add.com/symptoms.html

Dyslexia tends to run in families; it is known that there are several
genes that contribute to a genetic risk of dyslexia. Brain scanning
studies suggest that, in dyslexic people, the connections between
different language areas of the brain do not work as efficiently as
they should. However, these differences are not linked to
intelligence, and there is evidence that many dyslexic people have
strengths and abilities in tasks that involve creative and visually-
based thinking.
http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/Page.aspx?PageId=10

Reading and writing are fundamental skills for daily living, however
it is important to emphasize other aspects of learning and expression.
Like all people, those with dyslexia enjoy activities that tap into
their strengths and interests. As multi-dimensional thinkers, visual
fields such as design, art, architecture, engineering and surgery,
which do not emphasize language skills, may appeal to them.
http://www.ncld.org/index.php?option...sk=view&id=454

The mental function that causes dyslexia is a gift in the truest sense
of the word: a natural ability, a talent. It is something special that
enhances the individual.
Dyslexics don't all develop the same gifts, but they do have certain
mental functions in common. Here are the basic abilities all dyslexics
sha

1. They can utilize the brain's ability to alter and create
perceptions (the primary ability).
2. They are highly aware of the environment.
3. They are more curious than average.
4. They think mainly in pictures instead of words.
5. They are highly intuitive and insightful.
6. They think and perceive multi-dimensionally (using all the
senses).
7. They can experience thought as reality.
8. They have vivid imaginations.

These eight basic abilities, if not suppressed, invalidated or
destroyed by parents or the educational process, will result in two
characteristics: higher than normal intelligence, and extraordinary
creative abilities. From these the true gift of dyslexia can emerge --
the gift of mastery.
http://www.dyslexia.com/bookstore/firstchapter.htm

Because Dyslexics are visual thinkers, I listed stuff on Visual
Thinking:

' Verbal and nonverbal conceptualizations are regarded as the two
kinds of thinking. Verbal conceptualizations are linear and results
from "thinking with the sounds of words" . A person composes mental
sentences one word at a time at the same speed as speech, which is
about 150 words a minute. In contrast, "picture thinking is estimated
to be, overall, 400 to 2000 times faster than verbal thinking. Once
information has been encoded picture thinking is all at once , it
exists outside of time . Visual thinking is spatial existing in 3
Dimensions and not the 2 Dimesions of language ' .

Visual conceptualizations are regarded as evolutionary thinking
superior to verbal conceptualization because a visual thinking style
can be both faster and more complex .Auditory sequential thinkers are
born to excel at procedural tasks like reading , spelling and short
term memory . A visual spatial thinker will if equipped with the right
tools excel with ideas , innovation , long term memory and an ability
to handle complexity .

The auditory sequential model is implemented in the classroom , listen
and learn . While this model is very effective for the AS , the visual
hands on learner is effectively excluded .Drill and repetition , step
by step instruction will not work well for visual thinkers who not
only think in pictures but also learn all at once , visual thinkers
are system thinkers who need an overview .Information needs to be
organised spatially and not temporally , not sequentially .

To the lecturer and the AS this means nothing more than thinking in
cartoons , to a VS thinker like Faraday this means seeking
understanding . Michael Faraday talked of seeing lines of force .
radiating outwards . Einstein talks of using the imagination as an
experimental lab . This visualization of language to some extent
bridges the gap but is no substitute for actually constructing mental
models . Auditory Meta models & Mental models allow the visual mind to
fully function in an auditory sequential world
http://electronic-labs.co.uk/index.p...ILES/FAQ1.html

I hope that after reading this,you will understand the strengths of
Dyslexics. Then you can see that it's more than just seeing words
backwards which is more often a myth...especially when most Dyslexics
have auditory,phonological processing problems like me. You will also
understand that they are not even slow thinkers,but actually very fast
thinkers because picture thinking is much faster than verbal thinking
It is also very important for a child's strengths not to be
suppressed,invalidated,nor destroyed. The key is for them to believe
in themselves. If they do that,then their potential can be
unlimited,and there is no telling what they can't accomplish. I wish
that I known about this stuff when I was a kid growing up with
Dyslexia and having interests in things that Dyslexics tend to be
interested which were opposed by my parents. I don't want that for any
child...not just Dyslexic children. I definitely won't do that to any
children that I might have in the future. You can't fit Dyslexics and
other rightbrained people in a leftbrained box, but let them be
themselves which is a concept that fit with the natural way of life
for I believe that all of us should be ourselves and not try to be
something that we are not.

Raymond Andrews

dyslexia? athena General 3 March 23rd 06 10:01 PM
dyslexia question GandSBrock Twins & Triplets 18 January 20th 04 02:10 AM
The Melson Formula Model/ Strengths and Weakness Fighting for kids Child Support 1 November 2nd 03 02:45 PM
Percentage of Income Model/ Strengths and Weakness Fighting for kids Child Support 0 November 2nd 03 06:14 AM
Income Shares Model/Strengths & Weaknesses Fighting for kids Child Support 0 November 2nd 03 06:13 AM