What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

Old December 17th 03, 12:15 AM

Default What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

Hi all
IT seems I created quite a thread.
Thanks for all posts.
I was away.

I posted another note regarding circ.
Thanks

"Elizabeth Reid" wrote in message
om...
"Circe" wrote in message

People DO change their mind about circumcision. I did.

As did I. Until I read people's reasons for being against
circumcision on Usenet, I had never given it a second thought.
My family is of Jewish origin although mainly non-practicing,
and circumcision was really routine when I was a kid so nearly
all of my male counterparts are circumcised. I just thought
it was something you did. It was arguments on Usenet which
provoked me to think about it and make up my mind that
since I *was* non-practicing, it made no sense to circumsize
any son for religious reasons, and the religious reasons were
the only ones that made much sense to me, so why do it?

Even if one poster doesn't change her mind, someone lurking
in the thread might.

Beth

Old December 17th 03, 12:20 AM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article ,
dragonlady wrote:

I can't say for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if the stuff sold in
the UK is NOT pure cranberry juice, but labeled differently.

Pardon the tangent - but I just thought I'd mention that for me, although
daily cranberry juice helped as a preventative for UTIs, the only thing
that stopped them was to cut way back on the caffeine. I'd been getting
UTIs about once every six weeks; but when I cut my caffeine to 2 Diet
Cokes a day, they disappeared entirely (with or without cranberry juice).

Liz, slightly off the cranberry topic
EDD 5/18/04
--

"No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and
spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable - and we believe they
Old December 17th 03, 02:46 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
Nan wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:43:38 GMT, Shena Delian O'Brien

I found 100 % pure cranberry juice everywhere in the UK but have not
been able to find it anywhere in the US except for in overpriced
health food stores. Everything in the supermarket is grape or apple
juice with a smidgen of cranberry juice in it.

Ocean spray anyone???

From the label on my Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail:

Filtered water
High fructose Corn Syrup
Cranberry Juice Concentrate
Ascorbic Acid

Nan

That's the Cranberry Juice Cocktail, which will have less cranberry
juice and more sweetener than some of their other things.

(This being eggnog season, I don't have a bottle to look at, but at
least some of them list cranberry juice first and have no other
sweetener than from another type of juice -- no corn syrup)

meh

Old December 17th 03, 03:01 AM
Jill

Default What about/cranberry juice

"Nan" wrote
True, but I don't think Ocean Spray has just "cranberry juice". They
have several "blends" though.

Nan

I have found cranberry to be very effective at preventing urinary infections
and related problems. I never drank the juice though because all you can
find is very sugary. I would use cranberry extract from the health food
store. I very much liked a product called Cran-Actin, I forget what brand it
was but I think maybe Solaray? Possibly Nature's Plus...It's pure cranberry
extract with no sweetener etc and is potent. I would take a capsule with a
glass of water. This was VERY effective. I would ask a doctor before using
any herbal supplement while pregnant, but since all it was was cranberry
extract , I think it would be fine.

Old December 17th 03, 04:46 AM
CBI

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote in message
toypup wrote:

Not. Didn't do one bit of good for me.

You must have had a doozy. Cranberry juice is best for prevention; if
you've already got a forest down there it sometimes isn't enough.

Cranberry juice inhibits the adherence of SOME bacteria to the bladder wall.
This helps you flush them out. It does not help for all infections and it is
not enough for many women There are many more effective (albeit not natural
and with potential for side effects) preventatives.

Studies show that the same properties that get rid of bacteria in the
bladder and urinary tract do the same thing for your teeth, so drink up.

I doubt it does and I'm not sure it would be a good thing if it did. Your
mouth is supposed to have some bacteria in it.

--
CBI, MD

Old December 17th 03, 04:56 AM
CBI

"toypup" wrote in message

I'm sure there were many factors in that decision - not the least of
which being that it is of questionable medical necessity. However, the
fact that the peds are generally not surgically inclined probably had
something to do with it. A bigger reason (and possibly bigger than the
necessity stuff) is that if you are not already on the premises doing
procedures and don't have several lined up to do (which is the case
for most OB's but not peds) then coming to do one is more disruptive
than it is worth. Also - it is not uncommon for the parents to
question whether the circ was done right ("looks funny") and it is
nice to not be the one who did it.

The reason I found out what I did was that I was in the nursery when a mom
wanted to know if she could wait on the c*rc question and come back for

the
ped to do it.

Actually, if youy wait then the OB's won't do it either. At that point only
the urologists will do it and they will use general anesthesia.

The ped there said it was not an option, only ob's do it (I
was sitting right there), and I asked why a bit later.

I think that in most places that is the case but I have heard ofpeds doing
them (but don't ask me where).

That's the answer I
was given. There is a ped there all the time to look after all the

newborns
just like there is an ob to watch all the births (one there per 24 hour
shift), so I don't see where it would have been a problem for their

schedule
(probably why it was proposed). They could easily line up all the

newborns
for the peds as they could do for the ob.

True, there is a house doc for people who do not have a ped that goes to
that hospital and for emergencies. But chances are that once the decision is
made to have the peds do it the expectation would be for the private peds to
take care of their own patients. I'll bet they were fighting that
possibility by keeping it squarely on the OB's.

That they may not be surgically
inclined could factor in, but they did not give me that as a reason. They
reason they gave me was that the pediatricians thought it medically
unnecessary.

Of course, if you are giving a reason you will pick the most noble one.
Saying that you stand on the principle that it is not medically necessary
sounds a heck of a lot better than "I don't feel like it".

--
CBI, MD

Old December 17th 03, 08:02 AM
toypup

"CBI" wrote in message
nk.net...

"toypup" wrote in message

[...]

Maybe that's why they said waiting was not an option.

The ped there said it was not an option, only ob's do it (I
was sitting right there), and I asked why a bit later.

I think that in most places that is the case but I have heard ofpeds doing
them (but don't ask me where).

I didn't mean all peds don't do them, I only meant at our hospital.

[...]

Well, it wasn't the doctor who answered my question.

Old December 17th 03, 12:12 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Sheila writes:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/281067.html

100% pressed Cranberry no added sugar.

Ingredients 100% pressed fruit juice harvest fresh pressed nothing
added. Nutritional Information

*Thank you*!!

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003