Learning to let down for pump?

Old January 23rd 04, 11:10 AM
Sidheag McCormack

Default Learning to let down for pump?

Has anyone out there initially had a lot of trouble letting down for a pump
and later learned to do it? (Or should I resign myself to never being able
to?) Any tips?

I tried an Avent Isis, then bought an Ameda Lactina (= Purely Yours; it's
known as Lactina outside the US it seems) in the hope that it would help.
It doesn't. This morning, double pumping over breakfast (enormous bowl of
porridge :-) for about 30 minutes, I collected less than 25ml (less than 1
ounce) from both breasts together.

- I'm not using the flexishield; with both pumps, using it makes me not
even get the drops I get without it

- I'm using fast cycle and low suction; I've tried turning speed down and
suction up but that seems to be worse. In any case I'm afraid to use too
much suction as I've had a lot of trouble with cracked nipples and still
have weak spots.

- I've tried warm flannels before I start, but maybe should try that more

- I've tried single pumping with DS on the other side; this seems to get me
slightly faster drips, but I don't have enough hands!

- I can't really massage my breasts while I pump, since almost the whole
breast is inside the horn, but I have tried; I've also tried massaging them
and shaking them before I start

- I try to relax, look at DS, not think about how it's not working etc.,
but it's hard!

- I can't double pump before the first feed of the day as anything that
wakes me wakes DS who then needs to be fed NOW! Single pumping with him on
the other side first thing still got me less than 25ml (from one breast
though, so that is better).

I don't think I have terrible supply problems as DS is energetic, growing,
producing lots of output etc., and will quite often fall off the nipple
looking blissed out with milk dribbling from the corner of his mouth (can
you tell I love it when he does that?!) He does still feed for around 6
hours in 24, but even so, if he were only getting milk at the rate I can
pump it he'd be obviously starving, wouldn't he? He's quite light for his
length, but not abnormally so. I have never felt letdown though - but I
must be getting letdown without feeling it I suppose.

If I just can't pump it's not a total disaster, as DS will be 11 months
when I go back to work. But I'm desperate to go back to the gym, which
means being away for 2-3 hours, and at the moment there's no period that
long when I can be sure he won't want to feed.

Please, does anyone have any encouragement, or any ideas? I'd love to hear
from anyone who was in the same boat and then managed to learn to pump
more, especially.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003
Old January 23rd 04, 11:26 AM
Sidheag McCormack

FUMOP, sorry

I tried an Avent Isis, then bought an Ameda Lactina (= Purely Yours; it's
known as Lactina outside the US it seems) in the hope that it would help.

I meant Lactaline, not Lactina.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003
Old January 23rd 04, 01:45 PM
Andrea

"Sidheag McCormack" wrote in message ...
FUMOP, sorry

I tried an Avent Isis, then bought an Ameda Lactina (= Purely Yours;

it's
known as Lactina outside the US it seems) in the hope that it would

help.

I meant Lactaline, not Lactina.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

I still used my medela mini-electric for occassional use. It was great at
first I got plenty of milk, then I found it hard to pump and had to stop
pumping for a while, that passed and I can now pump fine.

I think it would have been around the same time as what you're at now.

I only feel letdowns if kam has missed a feed or two.

Here is a useful link;

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

A black crow stole my soul, and now I want it back. (For those with PPD).

Old January 23rd 04, 01:48 PM

Sidheag McCormack wrote:
[...]

I let down best if I read a novel while pumping. Just trying not to think
about pumping doesn't work for me. Usually about a minute or so after I
get really absorbed into the novel, I feel the letdown and it knocks me
out of my book trance and reminds that I'm pumping. =) When I was pumping
at home, I watched TV.

Manda
Old January 23rd 04, 05:18 PM
Jrogold

Sidheag,

Keep in mind that pumping during the day when your baby is actively
nursing will not yeild what a working mother gets when away from her
baby during the day. And your baby gets way more milk than you may
ever be able to get with the pump. If he is happy and healthy don't
sweat how much you pump.

The one thing that jumped out at me about your post was that you said
the horn covers most of your breast while pumping. I would think that
it would be important for the horn to compress where the baby does, on
the areola while it suctions. When I pump there is some areola outside
of the horn and I can surely have enough breast area to massage if
needed. I do not have particularly large breasts either. I believe
there are different horn sized available. This may be something to
explore. Also, it can take some time to get used to letting down for
the pump. Certainly isn't as fun as nursing the baby.

Good luck and feel free to email me. I am an old pro at this now,
pumping for my second.

Julie

Old January 23rd 04, 08:38 PM
Mom2Aries

I wonder if the horn size could be part of your problem since you say you're
entire breast is inside the horn. I believe that you can get smaller horns
for the PY but I'm not sure. You might look into that...I know some women
have a drastic change for the better when they get horns that fit.

My opinion is that your body just doesn't like the pump. Because you're
right, if that was the way your body actually supplied milk, your son would
not be happy. But I'm sure you can overcome it. I have a file somewhere
for helping let down, if I find it, I'll post it for you. Good luck.

Cadie

Old January 23rd 04, 09:40 PM
Anne Rogers

The one thing that jumped out at me about your post was that you said
the horn covers most of your breast while pumping. I would think that
it would be important for the horn to compress where the baby does, on
the areola while it suctions. When I pump there is some areola outside
of the horn and I can surely have enough breast area to massage if
needed. I do not have particularly large breasts either. I believe
there are different horn sized available. This may be something to
explore. Also, it can take some time to get used to letting down for
the pump. Certainly isn't as fun as nursing the baby.

I'm not sure you can get smaller horns, only larger. By all the
descriptions I've read over on pumpmoms my horns are too small but by your
description too large (no areola visible outside, but the sides of my
nippledo rub the flange), but I have no problems with them (good output,
no soreness), so I've not investigated. Sideag, where did you get your
pump from, I recall you are in the UK. I got mine direct from Ameda, they
have been very good, so I'm sure if you give them a call they could help.
Ask me if you need the number.

Old January 23rd 04, 09:42 PM
Anne Rogers

- I can't really massage my breasts while I pump, since almost the whole
breast is inside the horn, but I have tried; I've also tried massaging them
and shaking them before I start

can you squeeze? I don't find massage helps once I've actually started,
but if I squeeze gently at the base of the breast it seems to help empty
the breast

Old January 25th 04, 01:35 PM
KarenC

And I'm a bit of the opposite! If I start reading a book or watching tv
right away, I don't let down. I'll glance down after 5 minutes and realize
I've gotten trace amounts. I have to close my eyes and think calming
thoughts, and then after a few moments of this, imagine that the baby is
nursing, in order to let down. Once the flow starts, I can pull out my
book.

Amazingly, I find I let down faster with the Isis (using the insert) than I
do with the PIS.

Karen

Old January 25th 04, 01:53 PM
Sidheag McCormack