biting - what do you do?

Old January 9th 04, 07:05 PM
Cheryl S.

Default biting - what do you do?

"Richard" wrote in message
This technique has the added advantage of not pulling
a biting jaw off your breast ouch!.

Ouch is right! You never just pull a biting baby off; use a finger to
open the jaw and break the latch first! :-)
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 9 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old January 9th 04, 07:07 PM
zeldabee

Richard was all, like:
teapot wrote:
well the Moo has 2 little white teeth poking through his bottom gum,
they are not all out yet but its imminent!

What I mean by pulling off is when they
have a firm grip on th nipple but wrench their heads away fast -
ouch.

No direct experience myself, but I've heard that a good move is to
pull him *into* your breast, momentarily blocking his air supply.
He'll immediately open his jaw and pretty quickly learn that biting
leads to mildly unpleasant consequences.

This technique has the added advantage of not pulling a biting jaw off
your breast ouch!.

I don't see how that would help with the *pulling off*--the baby jerks his
head back quickly. As another poster said--like a rubber band. He's not
chomping--he's pulling off without letting go first, so the object is not to
get him to let go, but to keep him from pulling back.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old January 9th 04, 07:30 PM
teapot

"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...
"teapot" wrote in message
om...
I thought it would be wise to ask for tips in case he
turns out to be a biter. He's been doing this pull off
thing for the last week or so and he gets 3 chances
to settle before the boob gets put away as it hurts.
Should I use the same strategy for biting? I'm not sure
its working for the pulling off. What I mean by pulling
off is when they have a firm grip on th nipple but wrench
their heads away fast - ouch.

I never give "chances" - I think they are just confusing for the child
and make them want to do it *more*, in an attempt to figure out, "why
was it OK this time but not OK that time?". He can't count to three,
yet. :-)

If I didn't give him chances he wouldnt nurse! He likes to know what's
going on around him before he settles down and always pulls off a
couple of times before he settles. I use 3 chances to work out if he
is serious about a feed or not.

teapot
Old January 10th 04, 03:24 AM
Shannon G

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
well the Moo has 2 little white teeth poking through his bottom gum,
they are not all out yet but its imminent!

I thought it would be wise to ask for tips in case he turns out to be
a biter. He's been doing this pull off thing for the last week or so
and he gets 3 chances to settle before the boob gets put away as it
hurts. Should I use the same strategy for biting? I'm not sure its
working for the pulling off. What I mean by pulling off is when they
have a firm grip on th nipple but wrench their heads away fast - ouch.

If DD bit me, I'd do the loud *OUCH* thing and tell her that biting hurts
and if she bit again I would put her on the floor. I'd do exactly that and
walk away. Needlessly to say, we had to do that maybe a 1/2 doz. times.
They learn
fast :-)

Shannon

Old January 10th 04, 05:19 PM
Linz

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 14:07:22 -0500, "zeldabee"
wrote:

Richard was all, like:
teapot wrote:
[...]

YoungBloke pulls off, but I try to pre-empt him by pulling him in when
he starts to pull back. He does it a lot less than he used to now.
--
Linz
YB: 12 weeks, around 13lbs