Kids playing in the streets

Old April 1st 05, 03:05 AM
Hillary Israeli

In .com,
shinypenny wrote:

*Why is it that so many people talk on their cell phones while driving?
*Don't they realize that research has proven that folks talking on a
*cell phone wouldn't even notice a gorilla walking in front of their
*car?

I don't know about a gorilla, never having come across one in my travels,
but my cell phone did not prevent me from seeing (and stopping for) the 8
foot tall inflatable rat crossing the street illegally the other day. Go
figure.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old April 1st 05, 03:08 AM
dragonlady

In article .com,
"shinypenny" wrote:

I'm sure you do none of these things yourself; please take my use of
"you" above as not meaning you personally! Just venting one of my big
pet peeves!

I understand your frustration. We are a five car family (we've got five
drivers with a total of six jobs and somewhere between 2 and 3 in
college most of the time, and there just doesn't seem to be a practical
way to use mass transit for most of us.) One is a mini-van, and we try
to park that one in the driveway. Three are old wrecks, and one a
smaller car in decent shape. However, I think we generally avoid
creating the kinds of problems you have with your neighbors; at least,
I hope we do, and I hope they'd tell us if we ARE doing something
inadvertant that annoys them! (We do have one neighbor, several houses
down, who will come out to tell us that we're in "her" spot if we park
in front of her house. We know she's wrong -- street parking is all
first come-first served -- but it upsets her so that we don't argue.)

Old April 1st 05, 05:46 AM
Nikki

Donna Metler wrote:

I'm thinking
when she outgrows the infant seat we buy 2 copies of the next
carseat, too.

Yes do!! My dh and I each need our own car the way our lives are set up and
it is quite common that one will drop kids off and the other pick them up.
We did the carseat switch about three times, lol. Ever since we've had a
full set of carseats in each vehicle. It was money well spent.

--
Nikki

Old April 1st 05, 05:47 AM
Jeff

"Sue" wrote in message
"Mandy Anderson" wrote in message
I'm furious with my neighbors who seem to think the streets in our
subdivision are for playing. Several women who have nothing better to do
petitioned the county to put speed bumps in to slow cars down, yet the
speed limit of 25 mph is still fast enough to kill or injure a child.

Our neighborhood has sidewalks that start and stop and most of the time,
the
kids are forced into the street to ride their bike. One thing I have
learned
in kindergarten that has stayed with me all my life, is that we must learn
to share and look out for one another. Too bad you haven't learned that.

They may be better off riding on the road all the time. Drivers are able to
see kids better when they are in the street than when they are on the
sidewalks. And kids can often see drivers better, because they may have a
better view, esp. if there are bushes or trees in the way.

The were studies done that show that kids who ride in the street are injured
less frequently, but, younger kids tend to ride on the sidewalks, so the
comparison is not all that good.

Jeff

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old April 1st 05, 01:27 PM
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang

"Donna Metler" wrote in message

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message

I didn't realize just how annoying that would be (since we have bases for
the infant seat in both cars) until we flew with Alli and had to install
the
base on each plane and in the rental car. I'm thinking when she outgrows
the
infant seat we buy 2 copies of the next carseat, too.

--

People think that's excessive but we have two of each carseat. Until DD
gave up her booster(s), both car and minivan had two carseats (for DS) and

Jeanne

Old April 1st 05, 02:33 PM
Rosalie B.

"Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang" wrote:

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
. ..

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message

I didn't realize just how annoying that would be (since we have bases for
the infant seat in both cars) until we flew with Alli and had to install
the
base on each plane and in the rental car. I'm thinking when she outgrows
the
infant seat we buy 2 copies of the next carseat, too.

People think that's excessive but we have two of each carseat. Until DD
gave up her booster(s), both car and minivan had two carseats (for DS) and
two boosters (for DD) and then we had spare boosters (Evenflo for $25) for
friends of DD (they hated it but it was our rule). We still carry an extra
booster for DD's younger friends.

Jeanne

My kids got together and bought an extra car seat so that my mom and I
would have one when our grandchildren/great grandchildren would have
one when they came to visit by airplane. DD#2 often flew to visit us,
and since she was traveling Space A, she didn't usually take a car
seat. Her sisters had them, but my mom and I didn't.

grandma Rosalie

Old April 1st 05, 04:37 PM
Claire Petersky

"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...

They may be better off riding on the road all the time. Drivers are able

see kids better when they are in the street than when they are on the
sidewalks. And kids can often see drivers better, because they may have a
better view, esp. if there are bushes or trees in the way.

The most common car/bike accident happens when a motorist backs out of the
driveway, and hits the bicyclist. For obvious reasons, this happens mostly
when the cyclist is on the sidewalk. A backing motorist can not see the
cyclist, and is looking out into the street for cross-traffic, anyway, not
to the sidewalk. It's why sidewalk riding is more dangerous than the street.

Having your kids ride on the sidewalk is fine when they are little, going at
a pedestrian's pace. An older elementary school kid should be riding on the
street. After you teach your kids to ride, you also need to teach them the
rules of the road. This goes for kids on scooters, too. You also need to set
the boundaries for them to ride, based on their skill and development. A ten
year old can judge crossing a street better than an eight year old, and
should have a wider range of streets to ride.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Old April 1st 05, 06:14 PM
shinypenny

Claire Petersky wrote:
The most common car/bike accident happens when a motorist backs out

of the
driveway, and hits the bicyclist.

There have been numerous times my DF almost got killed because a
motorist parked on the street opened the door without looking first.
The thought terrifies me that someday he won't be able to brake his
bike in time. A bicycle helmet is fairly useless to protect against a
full body slam into a car door. :-(

jen

Old April 1st 05, 06:16 PM
Nick Theodorakis

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:22:24 EST, wrote:

[...]

It depends, I think, on the street. If you live in a busy urban kind of
setting, playing on the streets is very risky. But the point of quiet
residential streets is that they are quiet and residential, and I think
it's a reasonable expectation that kids will play there.

Oddly enough, when we lived in an "urban" neighborhood the streets
were safer than in the suburban neighborhood we live in now. In our
old urban 'hood, the streets were laid out in a typical gridded
pattern with stop signs at most corners that tended to slow traffic
down. Although a car *could* cut through our street on the way
through, there was no particular advantage to use our street vs.
another as a short-cut, so through traffic generally got diluted out.
Moreover, pedestrians could easily see cars coming from several blocks
away, and they had multiple stop signs before arriving. Our suburban
neighborhood is laid out in a branched "alveolar" fashion with side
streets and cul-de-sacs feeding into one steet which carries all the
neighborhood traffic out to the road. Great if you live on one of the
cul-de-sacs, but on the main street, cars can get going pretty fast
before exiting the neighborhood.

So, even though I wouldn't let my kids play in the street in front of
our house (although I would let them play on a cul-de-sac behind our
house) I would still nevertheless support a speed bump on our street
if someone should push for one.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis

contact form:
http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

Old April 1st 05, 07:47 PM
bizby40

"shinypenny" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you absolutely need two cars, make one an SUV and the other a
smaller car for those trips when you aren't carting around extra
people.

Okay, now you've hit on one of *my* peeves!

This has nothing to do with the rest of your post as we live in a
suburb with a 2 car garage and park nothing on the street --
or across non-existent sidewalks.

But we have 3, count 'em *3* cars (for 2 drivers) and 2 of them
are SUVs. The third is a minivan. This has been an ongoing
argument between DH and me. I don't see why we need more
than one big car. In my childhood family, my mom always had
the big car because she toted around the kids. My dad always
had a zippy little 2-door for commuting.

But even though I hate that minivan, we "need" it (so says DH)
for family vacations when we have a lot of crap to take along.
Apparently we can't fit it all in an SUV.

On the other hand, we "need" an SUV because we need the
4WD for our ski vacations.

We don't "need" the 3rd car, which is a 17YO pathfinder,
but hubby is very attached to it, and does like to use it for
trips to the hardware store to lug around mulch or whatever.

The minivan is almost 7 years old. I've told DH that I'll
keep it for 10 years, then I'm getting a small 4-door sedan
-- maybe a Prius. I need the 4 doors because I'm still
the one toting the kids around. He says that we should
be able to get way more than 10 years out of the van. I
said that's not the point -- I shouldn't have to drive some-
thing I hate for more than a decade. But then he pulls
out the ultimate guilt-inducer. Without the van, we won't
have room to take the dog with us.

Bizby

misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 March 30th 05 06:34 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 October 29th 04 05:24 AM
Fighting Over Kids Stepdad1963 General 8 May 5th 04 07:15 PM
misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 March 18th 04 10:12 AM
WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 07:10 PM