Children, Youth and Families secretary steps down

Old February 19th 06, 07:31 PM posted to alt.support.foster-parents

Default Children, Youth and Families secretary steps down

Children, Youth and Families secretary steps down
print email this story

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
February 17, 2006

SANTA FE (AP) - Mary-Dale Bolson has resigned as secretary of the
state Children, Youth and Families Department, saying
inadequate funding of the agency played a big role in her decision.

"This department has always been underfunded," she said Thursday
night.

Bolson said she notified Gov. Bill Richardson of her decision to step
down on Jan. 27, but he asked her to wait to make the
announcement until the 30-day legislative session adjourned Thursday.

She said she would miss the department.

"I think the department changes in the last three years have been
phenomenal," Bolson said. "I have no regrets."

She said Richardson wants to reassign her to another state government
job.

She said she would like to work on Richardson's advisory staff and
help direct public policy for children and families.

Bolson was principal at the New Futures School in Albuquerque when
Richardson appointed her to the cabinet post in December
2002. The school serves teens who are pregnant and or have children.

Bolson had worked in the juvenile justice division of CYFD from 1997
until 2000.

As secretary, Bolson has led a juvenile justice reform effort to move
children out of jails and into their communities to be rehabilitated.

Some critics have said she moved too fast and lacked a consistent plan
for CYFD. State officials and legislators also have been
concerned about a high rate of turnover in the agency.

Mary Ward, who was superintendent for CYFD schools within juvenile
jails for nine years, said she resigned last year because of
Bolson's leadership.

"It's about time," Ward said of Bolson's resignation. "I'm afraid that
a lot of the changes she made were not well-thought-out changes.
I just hope we get a good leader in there."

Rep. Tom Swisstack, D-Rio Rancho, who runs the Bernalillo County
Juvenile Detention Facility, said Bolson's efforts to reform
juvenile justice were difficult.

"Dale made what were the beginnings of system changes to a system that
hadn't been changed in almost 14 years," he said. "It was
a change that needed to occur. For some, that was hard."

Swisstack agreed with Bolson that CYFD funding had not risen for
years.
[...]

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/39652.html

Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.
We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.