Placenta attachment causing bleeding (?) vs. Blighted Ovum... Questions (m/c ment.)

Old May 20th 04, 11:59 PM
Jamie Clark

Default New HCG result Placenta attachment causing bleeding (?) vs. Blighted Ovum... Questions (m/c ment.)

No, I think past 3,000 or 5,000 it doesn't double every 2 days any longer.
Your numbers look outstanding. I'm betting you see a very happy and strong
hearbeat when you have your u/s.

Good luck!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

"Melody" wrote in message

"Melody" wrote in message
I was determined to only be 4 to 5 weeks pregnant. My HCG levels went up
appropriately from Monday afternoon (9312) to Tuesday morning (13148).

Thanks so much for all the replies. I'm in a hurry to get to work but will
reply individually later tonight. I did get my new HCG result, it's

68,500.

So, on 5/10 it was 9312
5/11 13148
5/19 68500

Shouldn't it be higher than this if it's supposed to double every 48

hours?
Or is this good?

Thanks again,
Melody

Old May 21st 04, 12:13 AM
Jamie Clark

Bo,
I'm so sorry that your doctor didn't prepare you better for what was to
come. So much of someone's experience of an expected miscarriage naturally,
is influenced by their knowledge and expectations. For you to think that
your body had reabsorbed, and then to be surprised by the miscarriage is
just sad. I'm so sorry that you didn't know what to expect with your
choices, and didn't feel like you had a choice in the matter.

My first blighted ovum, I had D&C. It was physically painless, and the
recovery was quick. My second blighted ovum 4 years later came on the heals
of 8 other losses (including a late term loss via L&D at 24 weeks, the first
blighted ovum, and 5 chemical pregnancies, and 3 straight years of IF
treatments), and was the result of a donor egg IVF cycle. We had just sold
our house and I was staying with my dad for 5 weeks, while we waited for our
new house to be finished. I wasn't working. I was exhausted, emotionally
and physically, and the thought of another medical procedure was just more
than I could bear. So, I opted to miscarry on my own. I was told that it
might take 2-4 weeks, and that even after it was over, I still might need a
D&C. I took my chances. I was 7.5 weeks when we found out there was not a
heartbeat, and I didn't begin to bleed until 10 weeks. My miscarriage took
all of 8 hours -- my uterus opened up and I was up all night, changing pads
and dealing with what seemed like buckets of blood. The cramping didn't
feel that terrible to me, but it sure was efficient. Then, I basically
spotted for a week, and it was over.

Neither experience was traumatic to me. I think much of that is because
with both, I knew what to expect, and I could compare them to other more
traumatic experiences, and they just didn't compare, for me.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

"Bóliath" wrote in message
Melody wrote:

Also, the midwife mentioned that they will offer me a D&C if it does

turn
out to be a blighted ovum. Can anyone give me the risks and benefits of
having one? Is a blighted ovum guaranteed to come out on its own without
having one?

Hi Melody,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I can't answer you other questions
but this one sadly I have experience of. I had a blighted ovum myself
last year. I asked for a d&c and the doc said she would prefer if I
miscarried naturally as d&c's can leave scars. Knowing no better and
being very confused and shocked that this was happening to me, I just
agreed. For me it was totally the wrong choice! I miscarried 3 weeks
later, by which time I thought it was all over and my body has
reabsorbed everything, it was a nightmare, the pain was excruciating, I
was scared and ignorant of what was happening. I called the nurse in a
panic - it was late at night - she explained that this was the
miscarriage and it would be like a mini-labour. It was, it took a few
hours, the pain came in waves - like contractions I guess - and the
bleeding got heavier as time went on. It seemed to end afer about 4
hours, I was emotionally and physically traumatised. I bled like a
period then for about 10 days. In hindsight, I wish I had the d&c.

This is just my experience, ymmv. I wish you well on this journey and
hope it doesn't come to this for you.

Best,
Bo

Old May 21st 04, 05:16 PM
Melody

"Mary W." wrote in message
link.net...
Yes, I've heard of something like this. I think a fair number of women
have unexplained spotting. One thing you might want to check is your
progesterone level and go on supplements if its low.

What will that tell me? What should they be? Thank you.

My hCG levels were rising quite slowly, but rising. We had serial
ultrasounds, and confirmed a nonviable pregnancy at 8.5 weeks (I think).
At that point my levels had started to drop. We never saw a fetal pole
or the heartbeat.

Did you have a u/s at all before that? I'm so sorry for your loss :-(

I'm trying to determine if there comes a point where I'm "safe".

Thank you very much for all the advice and information.

Melody

Old May 21st 04, 05:21 PM
Melody

"JennP" wrote in message
Yes, yes, yes! Very common. I had bleeding at about seven weeks with this
pregnancy.

Wow, I had no idea this was so common. I never had any bright red blood (so
far at least) just brown.

Bright red blood which scared me to death because I've miscarried
twice in the past year and a half. An ultrasound showed that my placenta

was
forming low and the technician said that it was very likely a blood vessel
burst and that was the cause of the spotting. It ended fairly quickly, I

had
no cramping at all and it turned to brown (old) blood after the initial
bleed. FWIW, the brown blood lasted for about a week.

Mine seems to be tapering off. (I know this is prolly TMI) but I actually
had a BM without causing bleeding for the first time in over a week today
and I haven't spotted since yesterday morning... so I have some hope.

You should be far along enough to see a heartbeat and probably the

placenta
starting to form through a transvaginal ultrasound. The tech should be

able
to tell you where the placenta is forming.

I hope so...*crossing fingers*

Thanks for the replies and all the wonderful information. You guys have
saved my saity the past couple of days.

Melody

Old May 21st 04, 05:23 PM
Melody

"Nancy P" wrote in message
This sounds like a subchorionic hemorrhage, which I had in my last
pregnancy. Its basically a blood clot that bleeds itself out. I spotted
from about week 10 to week 16, and had a few instances of heavy
bleeding/cramping where I was convinced I was miscarrying. My midwife put
me on pelvic rest until my 18 week ultrasound showed that it was gone. I
now have a healthy 4 week old girl.

Thanks Nancy, that gives me some hope. The corest term allowed me to look up
a lot more info too. This does sound like a real possibility. Thanks!

Melody

Old May 21st 04, 05:25 PM
Melody

"Coccinella" wrote in message
When I was 8 ww pg I started bleeding. At first it was spotting like

yours.
I went to the ER (Dr's orders and they said that our little bean was fine.
A week later I had serious bleeding. Back to the ER they found a big blood
clot just beside the placenta that was bigger than the embrio and
gestational sac! They gave me progesterone for a week and after 10 days or
so the bleeding stopped.

Wow, this really does seem to be pretty common. I had no idea... When my
midwife started talking about it as a possibility I was thinking it was
probably about as possible as a splinter causing a person to need a finger
amputated... I thought it was some really off the wall thing. Thanks for the
reassurance!

Melody

Old May 21st 04, 05:26 PM
Melody

"Cheryl" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:27:52 -0400, "Melody"
wrote:
Like Nancy said, it's usually known as a subchorionic haematoma. I
had one with #3, it meant episodes of bleeding about every 2 or 3
weeks from about week 6 onwards. In my case though I was told that it
was potentially going to affect viability because it surrounded about
2/3rds of the gestational sac when it was seen on ultrasound at about
5 weeks. I ended up having one really bad episode of bleeding at
around 11 weeks where I was convinced that I must be miscarrying but
that was pretty much the last of the blood coming out because I was
sent for an ultrasound and the blood clot was mostly gone. A
subchorionic haematoma is more common than people might think, and it
depends on where it is in relation to the forming placenta as to how
it affects the baby.

How can it affect the baby? My midwife made it sound like everything would
pretty much be finem if this was the correct diagnosis...

Thanks,
Melody

Old May 21st 04, 05:28 PM
Melody

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
Forgot in my previous reply, maybe reading this will help you:
http://tinyurl.com/3yaky

Wow, yes, that was extremely helpful. Thanks to EVERYONE who replied. You
ladies are truly wonderful!

Melody

Old May 21st 04, 05:31 PM
Bóliath

Jamie Clark wrote:

Bo,
I'm so sorry that your doctor didn't prepare you better for what was to
come. So much of someone's experience of an expected miscarriage naturally,
is influenced by their knowledge and expectations. For you to think that
your body had reabsorbed, and then to be surprised by the miscarriage is
just sad. I'm so sorry that you didn't know what to expect with your
choices, and didn't feel like you had a choice in the matter.

Thanks Jamie, thats very kind of you. I switched doctors afterwards.

My first blighted ovum, I had D&C. It was physically painless, and the
recovery was quick. My second blighted ovum 4 years later came on the heals
of 8 other losses (including a late term loss via L&D at 24 weeks, the first
blighted ovum, and 5 chemical pregnancies, and 3 straight years of IF
treatments), and was the result of a donor egg IVF cycle.

I am so very sorry to hear of your losses, Jamie. That is a lot for
someone to deal with, your attitude is amazing!
I've seen your website with your precious little girl and hopes for
another and wish you all the best with your new journey

Old May 21st 04, 05:32 PM
Melody

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news

Melody, I am in the middle of dealing with blighted ovum.

I'm so sorry (((hugs))). I hope everything works out for you.

Here's my hCG
levels: 5/11 1004 (5w5d), 5/13 1390 (6w), 5/17 1914 (6w3d). It is rising,
but not nearly as fast as yours. If you still don't feel confident, try to
sit it out until you are almost 8 weeks along. At that point, the u/s will
definitely show everything, including a heartbeat, if all is well. If you
go earlier, there is still a big chance they cannot find the embryo and
you will have to come back for another, plus you'll have to deal with a
lot of stress.

Yeah, that's one thing I'm afraid of but my midwife is pretty insistant on
this date so I'm going to go ahead with it. We should, hopefully, at least
be able to see *something*.

Melody (driving myself crazy)

Stop, please! I know how scary it can be, believe me. I was like that in
my first pregnancy, and it never changes... Do yourself a favour, and try
to relax. I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but really, things for you are
looking so well! With my first pregnancy I spotted brown blood for weeks
and delivered a healthy son. With my first m/c I didn't spot at all, and
things went wrong anyway (also blighted ovum, but no hCG values).

I'm trying!!! I really am!

Here's some relaxation exercise that always helps me a big deal. Go and
lie flat on your back, arms to your sides, hands on your lower abdomen.
Take deep breaths, in through your nose, out through your mouth. With each
breath, imagine the life force flowing in with the air and illuminating
yourself from the inside, each breath adding a little more shine. Relax
all your muscles one by one. Think about the life growing inside you,
imagine the little baby, who will be healthy and fine. Think of your body
providing the best possible protection and nutrition.

Do this every evening for 10-15 minutes, or when you feel very anxious,
I'm sure it will make you feel a lot better.

Thank you, I will definitely try this. May have to let DH try it too,
hehe...

Thanks again, your help & support has been amazing.

Melody