calorically dense toddler snacks?

Old January 26th 04, 03:34 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default calorically dense toddler snacks?

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks? My 15 month old
daughter isn't gaining weight well and I need some ideas. She only has
four teeth (incisors only!) which I think is why some things, like cheese
cubes, tend to go into her mouth for a while and come back out as a
softened glob after being mouthed for a while instead of actually
swallowed. She enjoys pretzels and raisins and fruits and beans... but
she's gone from 45th %ile to 7th %ile for weight over her last four well
baby visits and I've been instructed to up her calorie intake....She
always has eaten well at mealtimes but it's snacking I'm focusing on, as
she tends toward the lower calorie things at snacktime (fruits, pretzels
and so forth). Packable items are also needed...

thanks,
h.

Old January 26th 04, 03:51 PM
Molly Fisher

In article , Hillary Israeli
wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

Here are some of my minigirl's gummable favorites:
Mangoes
French toast (whole wheat) cut into crouton sized cubes
Pasta spirals with pesto
Whole grain crackers spread with butter and spreadable fruit
Grilled cheese sandwich cut into small cubes
Whole milk yogurt
Fritatta with cheese, avocado and roasted bell pepper, cut into
pick-up cubes

--
Molly
http://www.sonic.net/~mollyf/
Old January 26th 04, 04:44 PM
Dawn Lawson

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

avocado?
I wonder about something like smoothies?
cream cheese, liver paste, etc on crackers?

Old January 26th 04, 05:08 PM
Clisby

Hillary Israeli wrote:
Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks? My 15 month old
daughter isn't gaining weight well and I need some ideas. She only has
four teeth (incisors only!) which I think is why some things, like cheese
cubes, tend to go into her mouth for a while and come back out as a
softened glob after being mouthed for a while instead of actually
swallowed. She enjoys pretzels and raisins and fruits and beans... but
she's gone from 45th %ile to 7th %ile for weight over her last four well
baby visits and I've been instructed to up her calorie intake....She
always has eaten well at mealtimes but it's snacking I'm focusing on, as
she tends toward the lower calorie things at snacktime (fruits, pretzels
and so forth). Packable items are also needed...

thanks,
h.

Whole-milk yogurt?

Clisby

Old January 26th 04, 06:28 PM
New York Jen

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

avocado?
I wonder about something like smoothies?
cream cheese, liver paste, etc on crackers?

EWWWW Liver?! Why would you do that to a child?!!

:-)

Old January 26th 04, 06:37 PM
Dawn Lawson

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

avocado?
I wonder about something like smoothies?
cream cheese, liver paste, etc on crackers?

EWWWW Liver?! Why would you do that to a child?!!

*shrug* cuz he loves it?

:-)

Dawn

Old January 26th 04, 06:37 PM
toypup

t...

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

avocado?
I wonder about something like smoothies?
cream cheese, liver paste, etc on crackers?

EWWWW Liver?! Why would you do that to a child?!!

Have your ever tried liver cheese? They sell it with the baloney and ham in
your supermarket. It is delicious. If you didn't know it was liver, you'd
like it. I know I do. When I tell people what it is, they get grossed out,
but they never try it. I'm tempted not to tell them. It's so good. Also,
it's very soft, perfect for kids with no teeth.

Old January 26th 04, 06:44 PM
Tine Andersen

t...

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

avocado?
I wonder about something like smoothies?
cream cheese, liver paste, etc on crackers?

EWWWW Liver?! Why would you do that to a child?!!

:-)

Mine love it. On the other hand they love broccoli as well so they are
probably just weird.

Tine, Denmark

Old January 26th 04, 07:17 PM
New York Jen

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

avocado?
I wonder about something like smoothies?
cream cheese, liver paste, etc on crackers?

EWWWW Liver?! Why would you do that to a child?!!

*shrug* cuz he loves it?

Wow...I guess in these parts liver is looked at more as a "punishment" type
of food! Didn't mean anything by it...I guess I have to learn to expand my
horizons a lil bit!

Old January 26th 04, 07:27 PM
DeliciousTruffles

New York Jen wrote:

Wow...I guess in these parts liver is looked at more as a "punishment" type
of food! Didn't mean anything by it...I guess I have to learn to expand my
horizons a lil bit!

I absolutely cannot eat liver as it is normally prepared (I gag on the
texture and taste) but I love liverwurst. I especially like it spread
on toast but it is so fattening I rarely eat it.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau