Review: Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous (**)

Old March 22nd 05, 10:27 PM
Steve Rhodes

Default Review: Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous (**)

MISS CONGENIALITY 2: ARMED AND FABULOUS
A film review by Steve Rhodes

Copyright 2005 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****): **

MISS CONGENIALITY 2: ARMED AND FABULOUS is silly, stupid and sometimes
funny. The movie is at its funniest in those moments when it's so bad it's
good. The best jokes involve boobs -- Dolly Parton's real ones, which are
genuinely smushy, and Sandra Bullock's fake ones, which suddenly start
falling like an octogenarian's.

The movie's failures are many, from the story's flimsy premise to the lack
of any foundation in reality to some really lame villains. The setup this
time has FBI Agent Gracie Hart (Bullock) having such a famous face that the
FBI her pulls off of field work and puts her on the talk show circuit where
she can tell women how to look fabulous with the just the right make-up and
clothing choices. If you don't buy a minute of Hart as a beauty consultant
or of the clumsy kidnapping of Miss United States (Heather Burns) and the
pageant's promoter (William Shatner), count yourself among those with a
certifiable brain.

Regina King, last seen impressively in RAY, is less impressive this time in
an awkward part as Agent Sam Fuller, Hart's reluctant bodyguard and, of
course, eventually her partner. Although there were many funny moments, most
of the movie, which felt a lot longer than its running time, made me feel
more like groaning than laughing. Through it all, I kept liking Bullock and
wishing that she could find better screenwriters. I'm afraid that the line
in the film that will probably resonant most with audiences is, "Usually
they given an epidural for agony like this."

MISS CONGENIALITY 2: ARMED AND FABULOUS runs way too long at just 1:36. It
is rated PG-13 for "sex-related humor" and would be acceptable for kids
around 9 and up.

The film opens nationwide in the United States on Thursday, March 24, 2005.
In the Silicon Valley, it will be showing at the AMC theaters, the Century
theaters and the Camera Cinemas.

Web: http://www.InternetReviews.com

Email:

Want free reviews and weekly movie and video recommendations via Email?

Just send me a letter with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.