Solids

Old August 29th 06, 02:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Brookben

Default Solids

My 8 month old is very interested in solids now.

So, what to eat?

I'l love some tips on menu choices, website sources, etc.

Thanks!

Misti

Old August 29th 06, 03:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Brookben" wrote in message
ps.com...
My 8 month old is very interested in solids now.

So, what to eat?

I'l love some tips on menu choices, website sources, etc.

Thanks!

Misti

Oh, at 8 months, it's fun because (mine, anyways) would eat pretty much
anything. I rarely used baby food in jars. I found the blender (or
something similar) to be very handy. Typically, whatever we were eating for
supper, DD would eat that as well, run through the blender if it was
something like chicken...
Around 8 months, which was only a little over 4 months ago, I tried a
variety - DD loved rice. Plain boiled white rice, fried rice, rice with a
touch of soya sauce... She also loved potatos... Mashed, with gravy or a bit
of butter, fried with some ketchup (with leftover potatos of some sort),
baked, whatever.
I do believe at that point I was giving her more tiny chunks to finger eat
herself and also had a bowl to feed her as she tried to feed herself to make
sure she was actually eating. I did, and still do, try to avoid the fried
stuff and saved that for on occasion.
From what I can remember, a normal day for meals would go something like...
Breakfast: Toast, a banana, a few plain Cheerios (not sugar-coated,
honey-nut or anything like that) and a cup of milk.
Lunch: Soup of some sort (chicken noodle, vegetable, mushroom, whatever),
grilled cheese sandwich (I normally just took off the crust with a taste of
cheese in it and gave that) with some milk.
Supper: Mashed potatos with gravy, small, small pieces of pork chops, some
boiled carrots chopped to small pieces and some milk.

You can try whatever. My ped had told me for all my kids to just give
whatever I'm serving for everyone else - just use the blender and try and
pull out a small portion of whatever before adding tons of spices or
whatever - and this was at the 6 month checkup.

I *try* to use the standard food guide as a reference to go with. Sometimes
fruit yogurt is good for breakfast instead of the banana. Cottage cheese
was another one that my kids just loved. I give pancakes on occasion if I'm
in the mood to actually make breakfast over the stove :-/
I know the foods my pediatrican said to avoid were nuts, honey and cow's
milk until 1 year of age. He recommended introducing small amounts of cow's
milk around 8-9 months in other foods - like if you add some milk or cream
to mashed potatos, make tomato soup with milk rather than water, that's all
fine.

That's what I did, anyways. Now mine seem to eat anything, with the
exception of DS NOT touching mushrooms (but he will eat mushroom soup - go
figure), green beans or pineapple. DD eats anything as long as she can feed
herself lol
Maybe others have some ideas?

Old August 29th 06, 05:17 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Brookben

Not eating dairy is so normal for us these days that I didn't think to
add it. Lily is very sensitive to it and, though I've never given it
to her directly, I assume she'd have the same adverse reactions!

Old August 29th 06, 04:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"xkatx" wrote and I snipped:
Oh, at 8 months, it's fun because (mine, anyways) would eat pretty much
anything. I rarely used baby food in jars. I found the blender (or
something similar) to be very handy. Typically, whatever we were eating
for supper, DD would eat that as well, run through the blender if it was
something like chicken...

I know the foods my pediatrican said to avoid were nuts, honey and cow's
milk until 1 year of age. He recommended introducing small amounts of
cow's milk around 8-9 months in other foods - like if you add some milk or
cream to mashed potatos, make tomato soup with milk rather than water,
that's all fine.

Specifically, yogurt and cottage cheese are made from cow's milk, so many
people wait on those until 9 or 10 months as well. Also, another potential
allergen is wheat. Toast, Cheerios, bread, pancakes, and pasta are all made
from wheat. Some people avoid it until later in the first year or after a
year.

HTH,
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old August 29th 06, 09:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

My 7.5 month old is suddenly not. We've been doing solids for 2 months
and suddenly he wont take any.

I like www.wholesomebabyfood.com

- maureen

Old September 2nd 06, 10:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article om,
"Brookben" wrote:

My 8 month old is very interested in solids now.

So, what to eat?

I'l love some tips on menu choices, website sources, etc.

Most fruit and veg is fine, though you should check with your local health
authority as to the recommended age for the introduction of meat,
gluten-containing grains, eggs, and milk.

You should NOT give a baby under 12mo:

The serious allergens: peanut products or shellfish
Choking hazards: remember to avoid foods that break into small hard pieces
like corn chips or raw carrot
Botulism vectors: honey, and raw root vegetables

Of course if there is a history of allergy/asthma/eczema, you need to be a bit
more cautious, but most of what you eat will, in general, be fine.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue