Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide?

Old September 10th 03, 08:08 PM
Wendy Marsden

Default Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide?

My four year old finally, FINALLY got his dentist visit today, four months
after an x-ray showed a startling five cavities. Our dentist promptly
referred us to a pediatric dentist, saying she wasn't set up to do that
much work on a small kid. The pediatric dentist fit us in for an initial
exam and a teeth cleaning, but couldn't get us an appointment to treat him
until today.

Things started out fine, everyone was cheerful and no one was scared or
anxious. He got in the chair and was laughing and fine. But five minutes
into the nitrous oxide he suddenly started whimpering and curling up and
got clingy and weepy and scared. I wasn't able to figure out what was
causing the anxiety - I really think it was a reaction to the nitrous
oxide. The dentist just thought I had a wimpy boy that I babied - which
wouldn't be a crime if I did, but that doesn't happen to be the case.

The damn dentist threw us out. So much for pediatric dentists knowing
how to work with kids! He offered no solution beyond we'll try again on
Monday. Meanwhile, this dentist is a 45 minute drive from my home, he
isn't a preferred provider in my insurance plan and he thinks I've caused
my son's mouth problems through neglect (which just isn't true.)

The pediatric dentist was talking about scheduling an OR for sometime in
the winter (months and months from now) to do all four fillings at
once. I'm disinclined to put my kid through general anasthesia
again. (Long story, but probably related to why he has such weirdly
horrible teeth: he had a traumatic illness and hospitalization 15 months
ago.)

I'm thinking of finding a dentist that does NOT use nitrous oxide but who
will prescribe a valium before the visit. What do you think?

-- Wendy
Old September 10th 03, 08:20 PM
iphigenia

Wendy Marsden wrote:
The pediatric dentist was talking about scheduling an OR for sometime
in the winter (months and months from now) to do all four fillings at
once. I'm disinclined to put my kid through general anasthesia
again. (Long story, but probably related to why he has such weirdly
horrible teeth: he had a traumatic illness and hospitalization 15
months ago.)

I'm thinking of finding a dentist that does NOT use nitrous oxide but
who will prescribe a valium before the visit. What do you think?

Are you concerned about all forms of being knocked out? My pediodontist
gives chloral hydrate to kids over 3. Or maybe Versed would be an option.
The other thing to consider WRT general anesthesia is that this is a
different kid - 15 months makes a big difference in a small child's life -
and maybe you could talk to the anesthesiologist about the prior bad
experience, s/he could look at the medical records and maybe identify
something the previous anesthesiologist used that caused a bad reaction. But
of course if your instinct is telling you not to let him be put under, that
takes precedence.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old September 10th 03, 08:26 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Wendy Marsden wrote:

[...]

I can't believe they gas kids for simple dental procedures

years ago my young teen son had nitrous for an extraction -- I was
reluctant to allow it because I know nitrous is often abused as a drug
and I didn't want to introduce it to him -- I needn't have worried --
the effect was much as you describe for your child. my son had a sort
of nightmarish experience -- really miserable, anxious, depressed --
and swore he would never have the stuff again and didn't
Old September 10th 03, 09:03 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"iphigenia" wrote:

Wendy Marsden wrote:
[...]

my FIL is an anesthesiologist and he is explosively opinionated about
using general anesthetic in a dental office -- the death rate of office
administered general anesthetic is pretty high -- especially considering
that they are administered for trivial problems to healthy people

I guess you have to define trivial. I'm not sure I could have managed
having my wisdom teeth out without a general.

OTOH, I am sincerely dentist-phobic. I think I'd like to find a
hygenist who cleans under a general . . .

meh

Old September 10th 03, 09:14 PM
Jenn

In article ,
dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
Jenn wrote:

-
[...]

me too -- I remember waking up alone in a room on my back with my mouth
full of cotton rolls and wondered what would have happened to my brain
if some of that had gotten lodged in my throat while I was unconscious
Old September 10th 03, 09:48 PM
Mark Probert

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
. net...
"Wendy Marsden" wrote
The pediatric dentist was talking about scheduling an OR for sometime in
the winter (months and months from now) to do all four fillings at

Get a new dentist. Do not pay any bill (since he didn't do the work
requested).

There is no need to use anasthesia or painkillers for simple fillings.
Just say no.

Why put the kid through filling which may actually be quite painful to them.
When i was a kid, my parents took me to a reduced rate dental clinic and one
of the ways they reduced the rate was to skip the pain killers.

Today, over 50 years later, I am still very apprehensive about returning to
a dentist, and get a mild case of me pre-combat anxieties that I got when I
was in Vietnam.

Old September 10th 03, 09:54 PM
JoAnna

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
[...]

I had some kind of panic attack at the dentists while on nitrous as a
teenager ...never used it again!! I have had all my wisdom teeth pulled with
just novacaine. same with the root canal I had and any fillings.

as a child we had a fillings done with nothing IIRC. Certainly not nitrous.
Do they need something for pain? ther aren't any nerves in babyteeth are
there?

Old September 10th 03, 10:55 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"JoAnna" wrote:

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message

snip
Things started out fine, everyone was cheerful and no one was scared or
anxious. He got in the chair and was laughing and fine. But five minutes
into the nitrous oxide he suddenly started whimpering and curling up and
got clingy and weepy and scared. I wasn't able to figure out what was
causing the anxiety - I really think it was a reaction to the nitrous
oxide. The dentist just thought I had a wimpy boy that I babied - which
wouldn't be a crime if I did, but that doesn't happen to be the case.

The damn dentist threw us out. So much for pediatric dentists knowing
how to work with kids! He offered no solution beyond we'll try again on
Monday. Meanwhile, this dentist is a 45 minute drive from my home, he
isn't a preferred provider in my insurance plan and he thinks I've caused
my son's mouth problems through neglect (which just isn't true.)

I think I'd go back to my regular dentist and ask her to do one
filling at a time.
snip
I'm thinking of finding a dentist that does NOT use nitrous oxide but who
will prescribe a valium before the visit. What do you think?

-- Wendy

I had some kind of panic attack at the dentists while on nitrous as a
teenager ...never used it again!! I have had all my wisdom teeth pulled with
just novacaine. same with the root canal I had and any fillings.

as a child we had a fillings done with nothing IIRC. Certainly not nitrous.
Do they need something for pain? ther aren't any nerves in babyteeth are
there?

There definitely ARE nerves in baby teeth at least until they are
ready to fall out.

I had fillings done as a child not only with no anesthetic but with
the old slow drills. It did hurt. DD#1 had a couple of baby teeth
pulled (canines I think) without anesthetic and I'm sure it hurt her
too (I didn't know they weren't going to use anesthetic until
afterwards - she wasn't too happy about it - she was about 7)

I never actually had any anesthetic for regular teeth work until I was
about 26. I did have sodium penthol (sp?) (as a gas) for impacted
wisdom teeth when I was 18. The next ones I had out I had some other
anesthetic.

grandma Rosalie
Old September 11th 03, 02:47 AM
dejablues

I think it depends on the dentist. My 5-yr-old had one cavity that was
filled without any anesthetic at all (not even Novocaine) , the dentist was
fabulous and just talked him through the whole thing. He was horribly
expensive though. He wasn't even a ped. dentist. The only pediatric dentist
in our town is the Medicaid dentist who I knew about through the grapevine
of the county MH/MR agency (who I used to work for) . I refused to use him.
I went through five dentists before I found a good one.