Transverse?Oblique lie at 35+ weeks

Old August 21st 05, 09:30 PM
Angela

Default Transverse?Oblique lie at 35+ weeks

Hi,
I'm a self confessed lurker on this board but would like a bit of advice
from you knowledgeable folks out there!

I saw my GP last week at 35+3 who said baby was in a transverse/oblique lie.
This didn't surprise me at all as I has felt a head to one side of my belly
button! She wasn't that concerned and I'm due to see the midwife next at
37+4. I'm just a bit worried that this might be a bit late and things might
be rushed if baby's still being awkward then! It's really active so I'm
hoping it's still small enough to wriggle round!
I'm still not feeling any big bumps at the top suggestive of either a head
or bottom, and get lots of wriggles all across the middle of my tummy.

Can I do anything to help with the positioning, or as baby's still active,
will it do what it wants?!

Thanks
Angela
36 weeks today
DD#1 27 months

Old August 21st 05, 09:40 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Angela wrote:

Hi,
I'm a self confessed lurker on this board but would like a bit of advice
from you knowledgeable folks out there!

I saw my GP last week at 35+3 who said baby was in a transverse/oblique lie.
This didn't surprise me at all as I has felt a head to one side of my belly
button! She wasn't that concerned and I'm due to see the midwife next at
37+4. I'm just a bit worried that this might be a bit late and things might
be rushed if baby's still being awkward then! It's really active so I'm
hoping it's still small enough to wriggle round!
I'm still not feeling any big bumps at the top suggestive of either a head
or bottom, and get lots of wriggles all across the middle of my tummy.

Can I do anything to help with the positioning, or as baby's still active,
will it do what it wants?!

You can try the suggestions he

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/breech.html

By the time you go see the midwife next, if the baby is still
not head down, you'd be within the optimal time window to
try an external version.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 22nd 05, 06:39 PM
GMR

My daughter was breech for my entire pregnancy...I got to feel her head
right under my ribcage the whole time (holy heartburn!!!) My midwife
told me to try lying down with a big pillow under my bum, and putting a
radio on my lower pelvis. The baby may be drawn to the vibration and
sound and try to move to get closer to it. She said that these things
are not by any means proven, but it has worked for some. She also told
me that a lot of babies will turn at the last minute and get into the
correct position for delivery on their own, and if not there is a
procedure they can do where you get an epidural, and the doctor and a
nurse (four hands are needed) will physically try to turn your baby
from the outside (I am not totally clear on this). I did not have this
done, and my baby did not end up turning (there was not enough
amniotic fluid for her to move in) and I did end up having a C-section
but I had some other issues that lead to that.
Unfortunately, this can be something that will someitmes keep you
guessing up until the last minute..literally!

Old August 22nd 05, 08:10 PM

:
: I saw my GP last week at 35+3 who said baby was in a transverse/oblique lie.
: This didn't surprise me at all as I has felt a head to one side of my belly
: button! She wasn't that concerned and I'm due to see the midwife next at
: 37+4. I'm just a bit worried that this might be a bit late and things might
: be rushed if baby's still being awkward then! It's really active so I'm
: hoping it's still small enough to wriggle round!
: I'm still not feeling any big bumps at the top suggestive of either a head
: or bottom, and get lots of wriggles all across the middle of my tummy.
:
: Can I do anything to help with the positioning, or as baby's still active,
: will it do what it wants?!

: You can try the suggestions he

: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/breech.html

In particular, read the "Turning a breech with Yoga" link on this page.
This worked for a transverse with Monika at 34 weeks.

: By the time you go see the midwife next, if the baby is still
: not head down, you'd be within the optimal time window to
: try an external version.

: Best wishes,
: Ericka

Larry
Old August 28th 05, 08:21 PM
Anonymama

In article ,
"Angela" wrote:

Hi,
I'm a self confessed lurker on this board but would like a bit of advice
from you knowledgeable folks out there!

I saw my GP last week at 35+3 who said baby was in a transverse/oblique lie.
This didn't surprise me at all as I has felt a head to one side of my belly
button! She wasn't that concerned and I'm due to see the midwife next at
37+4. I'm just a bit worried that this might be a bit late and things might
be rushed if baby's still being awkward then! It's really active so I'm
hoping it's still small enough to wriggle round!
I'm still not feeling any big bumps at the top suggestive of either a head
or bottom, and get lots of wriggles all across the middle of my tummy.

Can I do anything to help with the positioning, or as baby's still active,
will it do what it wants?!

My son was transverse. I tried various tricks to get him to turn around
on his own, but none of them worked (and most of them made me feel like
a fool). I had an external version at around 39 weeks, and he was born
vaginally at almost 42 weeks.
--
my fried egg makes me sick first thing in the morning

The Barnacle (October 2002)
TK (due early April, 06)