Few Questions: Please Help

Old April 2nd 04, 01:40 AM
Carol Ann

Default Few Questions: Please Help

Hi, everyone!

I'm still here. Trying to get the hang of being breastfeeding and being a
good mother. I have a few questions:

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

Morgan and I have been able to sleep together for the past two nites. This
allows me to read her cues much more quickly. She hasn't cried at all. She
isn't much of a crier at all.

I am able to leave her bundled and sleeping without being held a good deal
of time now. Of course, NOT when we are trying to sleep. It seems she
likes the bodywarmth.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back into
a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on what I am doing now
and slowly add tasks that need to be accomplished.

By the way, I'm down 25lbs. Wow! I am still 15lbs away from my beginning
weight prior to pregnancy.

~Carol Ann

Old April 2nd 04, 01:53 AM
New York Jen

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

Hi, everyone!

I'm still here. Trying to get the hang of being breastfeeding and being a
good mother. I have a few questions:

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

Hiccups are normal in a newborn, nothing to stop them and they aren't
hurting her or making her uncomfortable...don't worry.

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

Why are you pumping? Do you plan to give her a bottle? It's best for both
of you to just nurse her, that way you'll keep your supply and build a
strong breastfeeding relationship.

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is

it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

Of course, if she's full and tired, let her sleep.

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

Try undressing her, touching her face with a cool damp cloth...she's still
so new, she'll stay up to eat soon enough.

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

She should be as bundled as you are especially if you are cosleeping...use
your judgment. I'd skip the hat, I'm sure she's warm enough just being
close to Mama.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is

having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

Unless she shows some reaction (gas, rash) to the foods, you should eat
anything you want.

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

As long as she's dressed properly, you can take her out right away. The
fresh air is good for both of you (I just read this in a Dr. Sears column!
:-)

Morgan and I have been able to sleep together for the past two nites.

This
allows me to read her cues much more quickly. She hasn't cried at all.

She
isn't much of a crier at all.

I am able to leave her bundled and sleeping without being held a good deal
of time now. Of course, NOT when we are trying to sleep. It seems she
likes the bodywarmth.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back

into
a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on what I am doing now
and slowly add tasks that need to be accomplished.

I'd just follow Morgan's cues...she's busy learning how to be a human
outside of your belly. Let her take her time doing so.

By the way, I'm down 25lbs. Wow! I am still 15lbs away from my beginning
weight prior to pregnancy.

Excellent!

- Jen

Old April 2nd 04, 02:13 AM
Nancy P

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

Hi, everyone!

I'm still here. Trying to get the hang of being breastfeeding and being a
good mother. I have a few questions:

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

Its normal...there's nothing you can do.

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

No. Unless you're going to be going to work really, really soon and need
pumped milk, its best to wait until about 6 weeks to let your body figure
out just how much milk it needs.

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is

it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

I think its fine. I always fed my daughter one side per feed. In my
opinion, that way I could be sure she was getting the hind milk. Its just
that it could leave your breasts a little uneven.

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

Take her socks off, tickle her, remove a layer of clothes, etc. Its hard to
keep a sleepy baby awake. But if she falls asleep on the breast she's
probably still suckling in her sleep.

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

I wouldn't bundle her up very much to cosleep (just one layer more than
you). I'd skip the hat.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is

having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

Sounds like she's doing fine.

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

Is it warm outside? I'd go tomorrow!

Morgan and I have been able to sleep together for the past two nites.

This
allows me to read her cues much more quickly. She hasn't cried at all.

She
isn't much of a crier at all.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back

into
a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on what I am doing now
and slowly add tasks that need to be accomplished.

I think that you may need to develop a new "real life" routine that adapts
to Morgan. But I found it pretty difficult to do even that with a newborn
nursing around the clock. Just do what you absolutely must.

By the way, I'm down 25lbs. Wow! I am still 15lbs away from my beginning
weight prior to pregnancy.

That's great!

Nancy

Old April 2nd 04, 02:18 AM
Marnie

First, congrats on your baby girl!

"Carol Ann" wrote in message news:6E2bc.155097
~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

Hiccups are hiccups. I don't know why the come or how to stop them. She
probably doesn't mind them as much as you do!

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

Is there a reason for you to be pumping? If you'll be with the baby for the
next few weeks, I wouldn't bother. 1.5 to 2.5 hours sounds lovely!

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is

it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

As long as she is thriving, you don't need to wake her to nurse.

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

If she's not getting enough breastmilk, try gently tickling her tummy or her
feet to keep her awake. Or have a damp cloth nearby, and run it over her
head. If she's snoozing while actually nursing, I don't know what to tell
you. Mine did that, too. It's quite relaxing ... babies feel like they are
in heaven.

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

They alway sput caps on my Spring babies at the hospital, but they always
popped off (15 inch heads might be the reason). So I never put them in caps
once we got home.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is

having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

It's hard to say how much gas is too much in a newborn (because it seems
like a lot) but if she's terribly gassy or developing a rash or rejecting
your milk, you might try less spicy for a while. Otherwise, enjoy!

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

Until daylight. She should be fine if she's dressed for the weather.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back

into
a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on what I am doing now
and slowly add tasks that need to be accomplished.

Exactly!

--
Marnie

Old April 2nd 04, 02:39 AM
Donna

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

Hi, everyone!

I'm still here. Trying to get the hang of being breastfeeding and being a
good mother. I have a few questions:

Hi Carol Ann! Congratulations on your beautiful daughter. You look great
in your photos!

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

Iirc, what is causing them is that the diaphragm hasn't developed enough yet
to completely function properly. They are normal, and there isn't anything
you can, or really should, do to stop them.

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

Are you trying to build up a supply for a return to work? If not, then no,
you don't really need to be pumping right now. In fact, even if you are
heading back to work and need to stockpile, right now is probably a little
early, what with the frequent feeding, and the lack of sleep. Cut yourself
some slack.

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is

it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

Yes. In the early days, I fed Sarah on alternate breasts, each feeding.
Eventually she got hungry enough to want both at each feeding, but for a
good few weeks, I alternated. The lactation counselor didn't think that was
bad at all.

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

Sarah used to doze off, and I would gently tickle under her chin to rouse
her. Try that?

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

Unless your house is very warm, you're doing fine. Newborns need to be
bundled, generally.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is

having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

No idea.

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

Whenever you want. I had Sarah out in the stroller three days after we came
home.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back

into
a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on what I am doing now
and slowly add tasks that need to be accomplished.

Yep. These early days are difficult. Don't feel like you need to push
yourself to do anything you don't feel up to. Follow your instincts, and
you'll do a great job.

Donna

Old April 2nd 04, 02:41 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

Hi, everyone!

I'm still here. Trying to get the hang of being breastfeeding and being a
good mother. I have a few questions:

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

Nothing. You just live with them. As she gets older,
she won't have them as often.

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

Why would you pump? That just makes life difficult in
the early going. Leave the pumping for later unless there's
some dire reason you need to pump now.

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

Sure. I've always only nursed one side at a feeding.
Works for me. You only need to worry if it seems like she's
not getting a decent feed in.

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

Do you need to? If she's getting in a decent feeding,
it's fine if she falls asleep.

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

The general rule of thumb is one more layer for her
than for you. You don't want her all sweaty. If it's cold
out, then wearing a cap to bed would be fine. If she's
warm without it, you don't want to overbundle her. Keeping
babies too warm is a SIDS risk.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

I can't imagine why it would be a problem. Eat what
you like.

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

Why would you need to wait?

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back into
a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on what I am doing now
and slowly add tasks that need to be accomplished.

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old April 2nd 04, 04:27 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:40:34 +0000, Carol Ann wrote:

I'm still here.

You better be

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

One answer: nothing. Hiccups are perfectly harmless.

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

If you don't absolutelty need to, I'd rather not start pumping until
Morgan is at least 4 weeks old. You need to build up a firm routine first.

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

Yes. Follow her lead on this. She will let you know when she is hungry,
and falling sound asleep is usually a sign she is full.

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

Cold washcloth on her feet. But you will also notice that as time
proceeds, she will most likely start to feed longer.

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

Feel the back of her neck: if it is warm and moist, she is too warm, if it
feels cool to the touch, she is too cold. When it feels dry and comfy
warm, she is just fine. You'll get the hang of it in a few days, and don't
be surprised if she is warmer than you'd expect her to be. As a general
rule, better too cold than too warm, as overheating is a SIDS trigger. In
my case, DS needed always one blanket less than I thought...

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

No problem. Eat whatever you had during pregnancy and whatever you like.
If she responds to it, you will notice usually 4-6 hours after you ate it,
she will become fussy. Red wine was a trigger for me.

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

If she is healthy and doing well, you can take her out any day you like.
Fresh air is good for her, but make sure she isn't too cold (nor too hot!)
and build up the time you spend outdoors with her gradually.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back into
a "real life" routine?

That will come in couple of weeks. Take your time, you are both learning
and it sounds like you are doing a fine job! Don't worry about the major
household tasks right now, the dust will still be there when you have more
energy to clean up. The way you are building things up sounds perfect,
make sure you don't overdo things. It took me 4-6 weeks to get back into
sort of a routine, but I was very very exhausted from labour and just the
physical recovery took almost 4 weeks.

Follow your instincts and Morgan's hints, and you all will be just fine,
you're doing great!!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (20m)

Old April 2nd 04, 05:09 PM
Jill

"Carol Ann" wrote

By the way, I'm down 25lbs. Wow! I am still 15lbs away from my beginning
weight prior to pregnancy.

Wow!! That's great and I bet you are starting to feel better. My stomach is
so huge and I feel so full. In the few days after you had her, did you feel
like a load had been lifted from your stomach?? I bet it took some getting
used to after getting used to having a tight stomach.

I'm glad things are going well-- so breastfeeding has not been too
uncomfortable? I hope I am able to do it without having much discomfort-
which I know will go away if I do have it in the beginning...

Jill (congrats again-- Morgan is so cute!)

Old April 2nd 04, 11:59 PM
zolw

Carol Ann wrote:

Hi, everyone!

I'm still here. Trying to get the hang of being breastfeeding and being a
good mother. I have a few questions:

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

Well the what to expect the first year book says that hiccups are normal
& there is no reason to try to prevent them. I also read elsewhere
online that hiccups help the child's lungs develop strongly.

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

I wouldn't think so. If you are regularly breatfeeding there is no
reason to express milk. I have been told that expressing milk for
mothers who are not working is only applied during periods, of change.
This means when your baby is changing from feeding every x hours to Y hours.

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

Sometimes, just picking her up & burping her would do the trick. It is
not all that comfortable to sleep in upright position

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

I read that a baby should wear one layer more than you would. If her
room is warm enough, there is no need to put on the cap, otherwise,
there is no right or wrong answer here.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

How can that be bad? I guess Korean kids would have major problems then

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

My family started taking the kids out for little walks starting from the
first week

Morgan and I have been able to sleep together for the past two nites. This
allows me to read her cues much more quickly. She hasn't cried at all. She
isn't much of a crier at all.

Just don't jinx it )