i'm much worried

Old July 20th 03, 01:29 AM
javalearner

Default i'm much worried

hi,
my baby boy was 5pounds12 onces at his birth and now he is 16pounds 7
months old baby.he is a breastfeeding baby, he takes breastfeed as he
wants....he is very active, he don't want to eat or drink anything
else....he always cry when ever i try to give something for drink or
eat.....my family always advice me to start 1-2 bottle feeding with
B.F, as they think that baby is looking weak and not looking
fatty.....my husband says that he is doing fine. i get totaly confused
for his deit and feeds.
i always do the calculations for his milk he has taken from my
breast.....family said that 7 months child needs something to eat and
needs more milk....they said that's why baby is getting weak.( he is
slim but not that weak) they want a fatty baby.
i want that he should drink my whole milk and 2-3 bottles of 210ml
with it.
so that i will satisfied that my baby has full every time.may be
that's help me to make him a fatty baby.i'm worried whole day and
thinking whole day that am i doing ok or not...but it doesn't give me
satisfaction.
i can show my baby picture so that anyone who can help me, see his
pictures and figure it out that what-what things i shoul give my baby
to eat and how much milk should i give with bottle and breastmilk.i
need a proper chart as i can't make it.
i will be very thankfull to anyone who can help me.
cheers
Old July 20th 03, 03:53 AM
Naomi Pardue

I'll do the best I can with this. Let me see if I understand ...

hi,
my baby boy was 5pounds12 onces at his birth and now he is 16pounds 7
months old baby

16 1/2 pounds is an good weight for 7 months. Some babies may be bigger than
that, but I wouldn't worry at all about a baby who is 16 1/2 pounds at 7
months. (Especially since he was quite small at birth. He has gained over 11
pounds on your milk. You should be very proud!)

.he is a breastfeeding baby, he takes breastfeed as he
wants....he is very active, he don't want to eat or drink anything
else....

It sounds like he is very healthy and happy, and loves to nurse.

he always cry when ever i try to give something for drink or
eat.....my family always advice me to start 1-2 bottle feeding with
B.F, as they think that baby is looking weak and not looking
fatty.....

There is no reason to give him bottles.
While most babies at 7 months are starting to eat some solid foods, it isn't
unusual for babies to not want solids yet at this age.

i get totaly confused
for his deit and feeds.
i always do the calculations for his milk he has taken from my
breast....

I don't understand this. Do you mean that you weigh the baby to figure out how
much breastmilk he has taken? This isn't necessary.

.family said that 7 months child needs something to eat and
needs more milk....they said that's why baby is getting weak.( he is
slim but not that weak) they want a fatty baby.
i want that he should drink my
whole milk and 2-3 bottles of 210ml
with it.
so that i will satisfied that my baby has full every time.may be
that's help me to make him a fatty baby.

Look at your baby. Does he look healthy? (Not necessarily fat. Babies don't
have to be fat to be healthy.) Is his skin a good color? Is he active? Is he
doing the things a 7 month old baby should be doing? Is he satisfied with his
feedings? (When he finishes a nursing session, is he happy?) Does the doctor
say that he's growing as he should be? That he is healthy?

If so, then don't worry. You don't need to be giving him bottles of anything.

You don't say what kind of things you've been offering your baby to eat. As I
said before, most 7 months are eating some solid foods, but some are not. If
you've been offering solids, wait a few weeks and try again. If you haven't
offered any yet, give them a try. If you've been giving cereal or baby food,
try finger foods. (Some babies, even at this early age don't want to be fed but
can do a pretty good job picking up small pieces of soft foods.)
And if he still doesn't want them, don't worry. Many babies do just fine on
breastmilk alone for 9-12 months. (You may want to ask the doctor to check his
iron levels, since some babies can get anemia if they go too long without solid
foods.)

I know it can be hard to deal with family and friends who keep telling you that
you are starving your baby, or who believe that babies have to be fat to be
healthy. But remember that your milk is the best thing for your baby. He
definitely does NOT need formula or other kinds of milk. While he may start to
need some solid foods soon, there is no big rush for these. For the next few
months, solid foods are still mostly for practice and for fun. They won't be
an important part of his nutrition or calories until he's closer to his first
birthday.

Hope this helps.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old July 20th 03, 08:25 AM
Jenn

hi,
my baby boy was 5pounds12 onces at his birth and now he is 16pounds 7
months old baby

I agree with everything Naomi has said, and to reassure you here are a
few details of my first son's first year:

When he was born Luke weighed 3 pounds 1 ounce, he was premature, by the
time he reached the date he was due he weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces (10
weeks later), at 6 months he was 13 pounds and 13 ounces, at 7 months 14
pounds 11 ounces - by the time he SHOULD have been 7 months he was 16
pounds and 12 ounces, which isn't much more that your son, even though
he was a pound heavier at his 'due date'. At a year Luke was 17 p 10 o.

He was growing well, but started out small and stayed that way My
partner and I are both small so I would be surprised if our children
were large. Luke was developing well, crawling and walking before he
was one, but had no interest in being spoon fed. He wasn't interested
in food until after he turned a year, and then only if he could feed it
to himself, and only sometimes.

Luke is now 4 1/2, still on the slim side of normal, but very active and
energetic, developing well, and happy.

Some baby's are fat, others aren't, formula fed babies seem to be fat
more often than not, and BF babies grow at a different rate to those fed
formula.

As long as you aren't worried about your sons development or growth,
don't stress over his chunkiness
--
Jenn
UK
Old July 21st 03, 05:14 PM
Naomi Pardue

I agree with everything Naomi has said, and to reassure you here are a
few details of my first son's first year:

Oh, I didn't tell about my own daughter.
Shaina was 6 pounds 11 ounces when she was born. (Full term.)
At 6 months she was 14 pounds, 1 ounce.
At 9 months 16 pounds, 3 ounces.
At 12 months, 16 pounds, 13 ounces.

She started solids at 5 months, but it obviously didn't make her grow any
faster. I breastfed her until she was 14 months old.

She was (and is) very healthy, but was (and is) just a small child. She was
around the 3rd percentile for weight for most of her toddler years. When she
was about 5 she made it to about the 10th percentile, where she has been ever
since.

She is now 11, and still small for age, but that's how she is meant to be. I
was small for my age as a child, and so was her father. We are now, as adults,
average sized people. (My husband is tall, I am average.)

So again, to reassure to OP, all babies are different, and trust your son to
take the food he needs, and to be the size that nature wants him to be.