almost 3YO girl insisting that she is a boy

Old March 11th 07, 01:24 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
andrea baker

Default almost 3YO girl insisting that she is a boy

Hi folks,

Hypatia is almost 3 (can you believe that???) Anyway, for about the
past 3 months, she has repeatedly insisted that she is a boy. She
will, at times, get angry when I say things like "what a nice little
girl you are" and will say, loudly, "no, I'm a boy!"

Anyone think this is something to be concerned about?

I initially thought this was just a terrible twos sort of thing, but
she also is often getting really angry when I try to put her in a
dress (though very rarely she will be happy to put one on).

She plays with a mixture of toys-- dolls, cars, pirate action figures,
toy animals, and so forth, but gender-neutral Legos seem to be her
favorite.

She is not masculine, but I don't know if I would say she is feminine,
either.

I generally believe that gender identity is inborn so I wouldn't want
to push her to be a way that she wasn't meant to be-- my concerns are
that I want to know what my kid is about, so that I can assist her in
growing up happy, kind, and well-adjusted.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea Baker

Old March 11th 07, 03:36 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Hillary Israeli

In .com,
andrea baker wrote:

*Hi folks,
*
*Hypatia is almost 3 (can you believe that???) Anyway, for about the
*past 3 months, she has repeatedly insisted that she is a boy. She
*will, at times, get angry when I say things like "what a nice little
*girl you are" and will say, loudly, "no, I'm a boy!"
*
*Anyone think this is something to be concerned about?

I have no idea if it's normal or abnormal or what, but it's not something
any of my kids (aged 6, 4, and 2) have done. I mean, my 4 yr old has
occasionally said she WANTED to be a boy, but only a handful of times that
I recall and always after watching a Bob the Builder or something

That said, a friend of mine is a teacher who has a transgendered student
(female to male) in a local public high school. The student has a website,
and in the "family" area of the site:
http://asktye.com/blog/meet-my-family/ the mother states "Tye has been
telling us that he was male since he could talk at age 2. It was our own
prejudice and ignorance that kept us from getting it for so many years."
I am told the family is very open and willing to talk and share, and they
have contact information on the website, so you could probably email them
and see if your experiences are similar to theirs.

-h.
--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old March 11th 07, 12:15 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Penny Gaines

andrea baker wrote:
Hi folks,

Hypatia is almost 3 (can you believe that???) Anyway, for about the
past 3 months, she has repeatedly insisted that she is a boy. She
will, at times, get angry when I say things like "what a nice little
girl you are" and will say, loudly, "no, I'm a boy!"

Anyone think this is something to be concerned about?

I initially thought this was just a terrible twos sort of thing, but
she also is often getting really angry when I try to put her in a
dress (though very rarely she will be happy to put one on).

[snip]

I was wondering how Hypatia was - I'm sure it was only a week ago you
were discussing names.

It sounds perfectly normal to me: at this age, they don't really know
why boys are boys and girls are girls.

I don't think the dress thing is related: all three of my kids had
strong ideas about what they wanted to wear at this sort of age.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old March 22nd 07, 02:43 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
[email protected]

that is normal my son is 4 and talks like a baby and acts like a girl it
is a fase that they go threw .i thought the same thing as you .don't
worry just let them do this now so that they don't do it later i life.i
talk to doctos about this and they told me to let him expirment and that
he will stop and act like he is expose too.

email me back if you got this and what you think about this

Insisting on Warrant is UNIVERSAL advice Greegor Spanking 2 January 12th 07 01:22 PM
Insisting on Warrant is UNIVERSAL advice Greegor Foster Parents 2 January 12th 07 01:22 PM
man girl 莫野 General 0 April 25th 06 03:32 PM
It's a Girl ! julie MT Pregnancy 12 March 8th 06 10:05 PM
Debate on insisting child eat "real" food prior to filling up on chocolate/candy [email protected] General 26 January 13th 05 08:45 AM