7 month old update

Old January 3rd 06, 12:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default 7 month old update

Well, our sleeping issue is getting better... I feed Will to sleep
around 8pm, and he'll go for 2 - 4 hours now. He'll not wake more than 3
times a night, and rarely he'll go more than 4 hours for us. And I
think the dummy is here to stay. I should have gotten rid of it at 6
months, but the 'gentle removal' method didn't work, and cold turkey
meant way more crying than I was willing to allow. He seems to get full
fairly quickly, and if he's not asleep in that time, he needs the dummy.

Even with the dummy, sometimes he starts slithering and trying to crawl
all over the place, pinch me, pull my hair, play with my eyelashes... I
grab him and put him back into a snuggle hold, and he'll close his eyes,
be almost asleep, then decided to pat the wall, flap his arms, roll
around etc etc. It is getting old fast!

Today he hardly had anything to eat at all. Had a good feed on waking
at about 7:30... small feed before sleep at 9:30, refused when I offered
when he woke up *2* hours later (!!), refused at lunch time, had a few
sucks, but I had to 'force' him... refused at afternoon tea time, had a
small feed just before dinner, ate some mashed potato/sweet
potato/avocado at dinner (4 teaspoons or so), then had a good feed to
sleep at 8pm. That just seems like not enough fluid, let alone food!

He hasn't pood for about 4 days, which is not usual for him, and it
happened last poo, too... I think it is the sweet potato slowing things
down a bit (very low GI). Do you think it is because he is feeling full
from that that he's not eating much off me? Nappies seem as wet as
usual, but I'm still not happy.

I never read the posts about breast refusal before, (it never seemed
relevent!!) but I'm wondering if this is what it is?

Anyway, he is *still* *almost* crawling. Sitting up pretty well (hardly
over balances), LOVES his reflection in the mirror, tries to copy
chewing movements, and is getting used to this whole solids caper. He
LOVES lemon, too.

Enough!

Jo (Mum to Will, 7-and-a-bit months old)
Old January 3rd 06, 01:31 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I never read the posts about breast refusal before, (it never seemed
relevent!!) but I'm wondering if this is what it is?

I think that is usually a little bit later on. We've had odd days of this
kind of behaviour, occasionally leading me to post here, or consult someone,
usually concluding that it's a low level virus or the bit after a growth
spurt and we'll worry about it if it is still happening in a week, which it
never was. I think if he was refusing the breast just because, then he would
be showing other signs of being unhappy and trying to replace it with
something else, but what you say sounds more like, I'm just not hungry today
thanks mum.

Anne

Old January 4th 06, 03:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Jo" wrote in message
Well, our sleeping issue is getting better... I feed Will to sleep around
8pm, and he'll go for 2 - 4 hours now. He'll not wake more than 3 times a
night, and rarely he'll go more than 4 hours for us. And I think the
dummy is here to stay. I should have gotten rid of it at 6 months, but
the 'gentle removal' method didn't work, and cold turkey meant way more
crying than I was willing to allow. He seems to get full fairly quickly,
and if he's not asleep in that time, he needs the dummy.

Even with the dummy, sometimes he starts slithering and trying to crawl
all over the place, pinch me, pull my hair, play with my eyelashes... I
grab him and put him back into a snuggle hold, and he'll close his eyes,
be almost asleep, then decided to pat the wall, flap his arms, roll around
etc etc. It is getting old fast!

Yep, with you there, what is WITH the flapping, and the rolling is driving
me mental !!!

Today he hardly had anything to eat at all. Had a good feed on waking at
about 7:30... small feed before sleep at 9:30, refused when I offered when
he woke up *2* hours later (!!), refused at lunch time, had a few sucks,
but I had to 'force' him... refused at afternoon tea time, had a small
feed just before dinner, ate some mashed potato/sweet potato/avocado at
dinner (4 teaspoons or so), then had a good feed to sleep at 8pm. That
just seems like not enough fluid, let alone food!

He may be teething. That is all I can think of. Sometimes it is
uncomfortable for them to eat or drink alot while they are teething. My
little boy (8 months old) does this sometimes too, but he is still gummy, no
teeth yet. Very frustrating !!!

He hasn't pood for about 4 days, which is not usual for him, and it
happened last poo, too... I think it is the sweet potato slowing things
down a bit (very low GI). Do you think it is because he is feeling full
from that that he's not eating much off me? Nappies seem as wet as usual,
but I'm still not happy.

A breastfed baby can go up to 10 days without having a Poo, again I was
worried about this when he was 5 months old, I rang the CYHS and they said
that it was nothing to worry about.

I never read the posts about breast refusal before, (it never seemed
relevent!!) but I'm wondering if this is what it is?

Anyway, he is *still* *almost* crawling. Sitting up pretty well (hardly
over balances), LOVES his reflection in the mirror, tries to copy chewing
movements, and is getting used to this whole solids caper. He LOVES
lemon, too.

I haven't tried lemons, hmmm I will have to give that a go.

Sindy (Mummy to Cooper - 22nd April 2005).
Australia

Old January 4th 06, 05:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne Rogers wrote:
I never read the posts about breast refusal before, (it never seemed
relevent!!) but I'm wondering if this is what it is?

I think that is usually a little bit later on. We've had odd days of this
kind of behaviour, occasionally leading me to post here, or consult someone,
usually concluding that it's a low level virus or the bit after a growth
spurt and we'll worry about it if it is still happening in a week, which it
never was. I think if he was refusing the breast just because, then he would
be showing other signs of being unhappy and trying to replace it with
something else, but what you say sounds more like, I'm just not hungry today
thanks mum.

Anne

Thanks Anne, I tend to agree with what you said... Today he's added one
more feed to yesterday's schedule. He's still peeing like a trooper, so
I know there's nothing to worry about, but I can't believe he can be
satisfied with so little! Then again, he always only takes one breast
per feed, too.

Jo
Old January 4th 06, 05:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sindy wrote:

He may be teething. That is all I can think of. Sometimes it is
uncomfortable for them to eat or drink alot while they are teething. My
little boy (8 months old) does this sometimes too, but he is still gummy, no
teeth yet. Very frustrating !!!

Yeah, could be. His gums are changing, especially the top one... but I
still can't feel anything sharp or lumpy that close to the surface.

A breastfed baby can go up to 10 days without having a Poo, again I was
worried about this when he was 5 months old, I rang the CYHS and they said
that it was nothing to worry about.

Yeah, I know it is normal, just thinking that it might have been why he
wasn't hungry. He pood today, btw.. not huge, but a large amount.
(hehe like you care, right? eew)

I haven't tried lemons, hmmm I will have to give that a go.

Yeah, I was disappointed with the lack of face pulling, and whole body
shuddering - he must really like them!

Sindy (Mummy to Cooper - 22nd April 2005).
Australia

Where in Australia are you? I'm in Perth (in Melbourne now, but going
home on Friday, yippee!)

7 1/2 month Update and various musings on parent classes and this group Larry McMahan Pregnancy 17 May 24th 05 05:31 PM
32 week update and fluid issues update Jennifer Howe Pregnancy 1 April 29th 05 06:55 AM
Tax Intercept agrich Child Support 90 December 9th 03 11:43 PM
Miscarriage - tingling, numbness, vision, anxiety - Five Month Update Ebo Pregnancy 2 August 5th 03 10:56 PM
6 month update ArkieNurse Pregnancy 1 July 15th 03 01:37 AM