Another morning sickness question

Old April 1st 04, 05:51 PM
Elitsirk

Default Another morning sickness question

The other threads about morning sickness medications have got me
wondering. At what point do doctors treat morning sickness? I don't
think that my MS is really bad enough to worry about, but everyone I
talk to is surprised that I'm still having issues with it.

I'm at about 16 weeks right now, and I am still throwing up about 5
times a week. I have whole days where I don't throw up at all, but
also days where I get sick multiple times. Earlier on, I pretty much
felt sea-sick all day long in addition to the hurling. Lately I feel
pretty much normal in the middle of the day, but around dinner time
and later I get that sea-sick feeling back. However, the sea-sickness
and the throwing up aren't necessarily linked--I tend to throw up
first thing in the morning more than any other time (and most of those
are before I have a chance to eat anything). I've tried eating
crackers right when I wake up, eating food right before bed, changing
what I eat at different times, and nothing really helps. If I do
manage to eat before I throw up in the morning, it's almost worse--I
think I prefer the mostly dry heaves :P

I'm not losing weight (mostly probably because I don't manage to
actually throw up food that often), and have actually put on about 7
pounds so far. Several friends have suggested that I should ask my
doctor about it (these are some of the same friends who either never
puked at all or only 1 or 2 times their whole pregnancies). Is this
really something that should be treated, or am I normal and should
just be dealing with it for now?

--Elit
#1 due 9/20/2004
Old April 1st 04, 08:58 PM
Welches

Elitsirk wrote in message
om...
[...]

To me you sound pretty mild-I was feeling sick 24/7 for weeks 5-27 (#1) and
4-21 (#2) with both during that time I was being sick more often than once a
day. After those times I was still sick for the rest of pregnancy, (until
about 2hrs after delivery) but would have good patches where I didn't feel
as though I wasn't about to be sick. And, I'll add, I was nowhere near
needing help (other than sympathy!) from the dr.
If you haven't lost weight (I had lost at 20 weeks) then I wouldn't think a
dr. would worry at all.
I think you sound normal to me. The good news being that most people ms
seems to clear between 16-18 weeks. The bad news is that it doesn't always
and you don't know whether you'll be one of those :-(
Mention it at your next appointment, (if it's still going on) but I don't
think you'll get much help. If you're not keeping anything down at any stage
then you do need help.
Debbie

Old April 2nd 04, 12:05 AM
Jill

"Elitsirk" wrote in message
om...
The other threads about morning sickness medications have got me
wondering. At what point do doctors treat morning sickness? I don't
think that my MS is really bad enough to worry about, but everyone I
talk to is surprised that I'm still having issues with it.

I'm at about 16 weeks right now

My doctors started dealing with mine right away, as soon as I mentioned it-
they gave me tips and suggested Vitamin B6 and the wrist bands, and had me
try Zantac to try to reduce stomach acid to see if that helped. When all of
that, and I was still sick for much of the time (not just in little
instances that would go away), the doctors prescribed phenergan, Phernergan
did not take away the nausea OR help with vomiting at all so I was still
pretty early along when they gave me Zofran. I think they gave me Zofran at
10-12 weeks, because I kept telling them my nausea was constant and
longlasting and causing me not to eat. I did lose significant weight but not
enough to worry the doctors.

My doctors told me that they normally like to start treating morning
sickness with Zofran when vomiting is still an issue after the first
trimester or is so constant within the first trimester. They also told me
they choose Zofran to prevent vomiting, that it doesn't help much if your
problem is only nausea feeling and not vomiting too. I complained of still
feeling sick on Zofran, but was vomiting a lot less....and they basically
told me not to expect Zofran to necessarily stop the nausea...just the
nausea that led to vomiting.

Good luck-- I feel for you. I was nauseous and throwing up really bad unless
I stayed on Zofran constantly until I was at 20 weeks! And it wasn't a
miracle help, it just helped a little.

And now I am 33 weeks and feel yucky m/s a lot now too, it's back-- but it
is shortlasting, and the difference is I am not nauseous for long periods of
time, feel better after I do throw up, and can usually even eat normally an
hour or two after throwing up! So its better even though it's frequent.

Jill

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM
morning sickness question alissa Pregnancy 7 November 1st 03 02:06 PM