eating in hospital during labor

Old May 24th 04, 09:17 PM
Kim E.

Default eating in hospital during labor

I just found out that the hospital i am planning to deliver in does not
allow women to eat during labor- except ice chips -lol, ice is water not
food!! Is this common? For those of you who have BTDT, did you even
want to eat anything during labor? I could not imagine going more than
a few hours without eating!!!

-kim
Old May 24th 04, 09:26 PM
Hillary Israeli

In t,
Kim E. wrote:

*I just found out that the hospital i am planning to deliver in does not
*allow women to eat during labor- except ice chips -lol, ice is water not
*food!! Is this common? For those of you who have BTDT, did you even
*want to eat anything during labor? I could not imagine going more than
*a few hours without eating!!!

I packed food the first time, and never got around to eating it. I
seriously didn't want anything. Of course, by the time I got to the
hospital I was in heavy labor. The second time I didn't bother packing any
food, which was good, because if I'd spent any time at all trying to eat
the baby probably would have been born in the hall.

Old May 24th 04, 09:38 PM
toypup

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
I just found out that the hospital i am planning to deliver in does not
allow women to eat during labor- except ice chips -lol, ice is water not
food!! Is this common? For those of you who have BTDT, did you even
want to eat anything during labor? I could not imagine going more than
a few hours without eating!!!

I was never hungry, but I was thirsty and they wouldn't let me drink.

Old May 24th 04, 09:44 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article t,
Kim E. wrote:
I just found out that the hospital i am planning to deliver in does not
allow women to eat during labor- except ice chips -lol, ice is water not
food!!

FWIW, the woman teaching my natural childbirth suggested smuggling in food
and being contrite later. The "ice chips only" policy is, as I understand
it, a leftover from the days when childbirth usually meant a general
anaesthetic, where food in the stomach might cause some problems. I haven't
heard a real scientific justification for this policy.

The birth center I'm with lets you eat; but they recommend liquids and easy-
to-digest snacks. And, of course, if you're not up to eating, you don't
have to!

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

--

"No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and
spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable - and we believe they
Old May 24th 04, 09:53 PM
Jacqui

Kim E. wibbled

I just found out that the hospital i am planning to deliver in
does not allow women to eat during labor- except ice chips -lol,
ice is water not food!! Is this common? For those of you who
have BTDT, did you even want to eat anything during labor? I
could not imagine going more than a few hours without eating!!!

It's an outdated policy. Even if you do have to have unplanned
surgery the risk of aspiration is much less feared these days (and
after all, if you're in an accident or something they don't ask you
if you ate anything before they start patching you up, do they).

I didn't actually feel all that hungry - I could have eaten and
didn't really fancy much but that's hospital food for you. I think I
had toast and a yoghurt at lunchtime. I remember drinking several
hot chocolates though. I guess it depends on how you take pain, what
interventions you opt for (during the periods when my epidural was
in full effect I could have eaten a three course meal with no
hassle), and how active you're being. If it's a fast labour you may
not get time to notice being hungry. ;-)

Will they not even let you have boiled sweets? (Hard candy)

Jac
Old May 24th 04, 09:53 PM
Cherie

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
I just found out that the hospital i am planning to deliver in does not
allow women to eat during labor- except ice chips -lol, ice is water not
food!! Is this common? For those of you who have BTDT, did you even
want to eat anything during labor? I could not imagine going more than
a few hours without eating!!!

-kim

I am using the same hospital I gave birth to my son at and unfortunely they
dont allow food either, just ice chips (who calls that food?). I remember
the nurse who gave our prenatal class said to eat something light before you
came to the hospital (if you had time of course). Unfortunately I got to the
hospital around 8am and finally reached 10 cms around 4:30 that afternoon. I
spent the whole day watching tv, and of course every commerical was a
commercial for food. I was starving!!

Cherie
mom to Jakob (21 months)
baby (Grace) EDD 8/6/04

Old May 24th 04, 09:57 PM
Carol Ann

I just found out that the hospital i am planning to deliver in does not
allow women to eat during labor- except ice chips -lol, ice is water not
food!! Is this common? For those of you who have BTDT, did you even
want to eat anything during labor? I could not imagine going more than
a few hours without eating!!!

-kim

I didn't eat, but did crunch on cups and cups of ice which I threw up after
my delivery.

Next time, God willing there will be one, I will go easy on the fluids and
not eat anything.

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBNnDdizZNneg ---Pictures!