Avent Isis, HELP!!

Old May 27th 04, 05:34 AM
Carol Ann

Default Avent Isis, HELP!!

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. No milk is flowing. Morgan has been
sleeping allot since her shots this morning and she hasn't been able to
finish feeding properly.

I want to pump. Can someone help me?

--
~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04

Old May 27th 04, 05:46 AM
Alissa

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. No milk is flowing. Morgan has been
sleeping allot since her shots this morning and she hasn't been able to
finish feeding properly.

I want to pump. Can someone help me?

--
~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBNnDdizZNneg ---Pictures!
~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBNnDdizZNneg ---Pictures!

Does it have any suction? maybe pull it appart and check all the rubber

seals are tight and the little white rubber bit is right way round...all I
can suggest...good luck
Alissa

Old May 27th 04, 05:56 AM
Carol Ann

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. No milk is flowing. Morgan has
been
sleeping allot since her shots this morning and she hasn't been able to
finish feeding properly.

I want to pump. Can someone help me?

Does it have any suction? maybe pull it appart and check all the rubber
seals are tight and the little white rubber bit is right way round...all I
can suggest...good luck
Alissa

I was able to finally get some milk expressed but only 1 oz. That was out
of both breasts. It hurt and now my nipple looks much larger than it did
before.

I wonder why it hurts? I didn't pump too hard. Milk just didn't flow like
I thought it would. How do some mothers express so much?

Old May 27th 04, 06:01 AM
Alissa

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
[...]

I'd say she got more out than you thought....I don't think it should hurt,

I found I got more out if I held the suction down longer and pumped
slowly.They do get better and faster at getting the milk out as they get
older, if she didn't get as much she'll make up for it tomorrow....Babies do
much better jobs than pumps!
Alissa

Old May 27th 04, 07:09 AM
Cathy

Carol Ann wrote:
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. No milk is flowing. Morgan
has been sleeping allot since her shots this morning and she hasn't
been able to finish feeding properly.

I want to pump. Can someone help me?

Does it have any suction? maybe pull it appart and check all the
rubber seals are tight and the little white rubber bit is right way
round...all I can suggest...good luck
Alissa

I was able to finally get some milk expressed but only 1 oz. That
was out of both breasts. It hurt and now my nipple looks much larger
than it did before.

I wonder why it hurts? I didn't pump too hard. Milk just didn't
flow like I thought it would. How do some mothers express so much?

Wow, 1 oz. Was that your first time? I got nothing the first 3 times I
tried. But when I got the hang of it, I found that if I held the pump on
too hard, and was rough (hard to explain!) it hurt. Later on I could get up
to 5 oz with no effort at all.

Cathy

Old May 27th 04, 07:35 AM
toypup

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

I was able to finally get some milk expressed but only 1 oz. That was out
of both breasts. It hurt and now my nipple looks much larger than it did
before.

I wonder why it hurts? I didn't pump too hard. Milk just didn't flow

like
I thought it would. How do some mothers express so much?

I never liked the Isis. It hurt me, too and my nipples did look larger
after each session. That was less of a problem with the 3 electric pumps
I've tried. One thing you might try is kneading the breast in the direction
of the horn while you're expressing. Sometimes, I would just have to pump,
knead, press and hold and not have to keep pumping, the milk would just
flow.

Old May 27th 04, 07:39 AM
Lil Nicky's Mom

I just never got the hang of the Avent one. It worked but then it takes me
very long to do each breast. I prefer the Medela pump In Style much better
than the Isis.

Old May 27th 04, 01:25 PM
Mary W.

Carol Ann wrote:

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. No milk is flowing. Morgan has been
sleeping allot since her shots this morning and she hasn't been able to
finish feeding properly.

I want to pump. Can someone help me?

The Avent can take some practice (and I could only use it when I was
semi-engorged). Make sure you are getting suction. I always start out
with very light pressure and fast pumping action, then when I get
letdown, do long slow pulls. Try with and without the insert.
Lubricate the horn with olive oil, lanolin or breast milk. If it hurts
you are probably applying too much suction, ease back. And if
you are stressed you may inhibit letdown (a big problem with me
using the Isis - it required too much thinking and I let down better
if I'm distracted).

But really, pumping can take practice, especially with a manual.

Mary

Old May 27th 04, 01:40 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

I was able to finally get some milk expressed but only 1 oz. That was out
of both breasts. It hurt and now my nipple looks much larger than it did
before.

She might have eaten more than you thought. Beyond that,
pumping is a learned skill. For many women, it takes quite a
while to be able to let down well for a pump.

I wonder why it hurts? I didn't pump too hard. Milk just didn't flow like
I thought it would. How do some mothers express so much?

Practice, most likely. And some women just never
do let down well for a pump (and it can vary from baby to
baby--I had miserable luck with my first and no problem
with my third). Babies are much more effective than pumps.

Best wishes,
Ericka