preschool question -- kinda long!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 5th 04, 05:35 PM
Janette

Default preschool question -- kinda long!

My son, Logan, is currently in preschool 2 mornings a week. About a month
into the year, he quit talking to his teacher or to any of the other kids in
his class. He will still participate and do the activities, etc but he will
not talk at all the entire 2 1/2 hours he is there. He won't even sing the
songs when they go to music...but he will sure come home and sing them
around the house all day long! I have talked to his teacher about what
might have happened to cause him to "shut down" at school...she doesn't know
and Logan doesn't say anything negative about school...he loves it and talks
great things about his teacher! His teacher just says he must not be ready
to express his self and open up to people...he will in his own time.
Another thing about Logan (and his preschool teacher has confirmed this), is
he is very advanced for being 3 (almost 4). While the other kids are
learning their shapes, colors, and letters....he is bored. He has known his
alphabet and all that other stuff since he was 2...he can currently spell
about 8 words and tell time on a digital clock! My thoughts were, he was
just bored at preschool so he has withdrawn. However, while Logan is "book
smart", he is just where he needs to be socially.

My DH and I have thought about moving him preschools next year to see if a
totally new environment will help him begin talking and be outgoing again at
school. When I talked to his current preschool teacher about this, she said
that she felt this would only make him regress even more. I had to wonder
if she was saying this truly out of concern for Logan, or just because she
wanted our money at her preschool for next year.

So...with all of that said. I wondered if any of you might deal with
preschoolers and/or have any of this same experience with your children.
I'm at a loss as to what would be best for Logan....move him to a new
preschool or keep him at the same one? Also...if we keep him at the same
one, would it be beneficial to stay with the same teacher or have a new one
for next year?

Thanks for reading if you made it this far...and for any advice you might be
able to give )

Janette
--
Mom to Logan Alexander 2-29-00
and Caleb Benjamin 2-11-02

remove word SPAM to reply

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
My kid taking up with the class "bad kid"( kinda long, sorry) Shana General 9 September 23rd 03 05:15 PM