how many of you are working?

Old August 11th 05, 04:04 AM
oregonchick

Default how many of you are working?

I myself have a nice desk job and am currently working about 6 or 7 hours
per day. Up until last week, I felt invincible. Great energy levels and
was very productive. Then week 23 crept up, and suddenly I'm falling asleep
at my desk at 10am! Whoa... I wasn't really expecting that, at least not
so soon. Today, I got half way to work and turned around, got home and
crawled in bed. Slept for 2 hours, got up and had some lunch. Barely
managed to tidy my kitchen then fell asleep again for 2 hours.

I am not sleeping well at night anymore, that might be part of the problem.
There doesn't seem to be any comfortable positions! How will I ever survive
the next 4 months? Working is optional for me, but I would really hate to
give up this job. However, I surely can't crawl under my desk for catnaps!
I will probably go to 4 hours a day soon.

I just feel like a wimp. I know women who worked on their feet up until
delivery. One of our friends is a nurse and she did 12 hour shifts until
she gave birth. What's wrong with me???

Old August 11th 05, 04:12 AM
Marie

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:04:53 -0700, "oregonchick"
wrote:
I just feel like a wimp. I know women who worked on their feet up until
delivery. One of our friends is a nurse and she did 12 hour shifts until
she gave birth. What's wrong with me???

I think that you do what you have to do when you have no choice.
During my first two pregnancies, I worked at McD's all the way to my
due dates, but I had to work to support myself and child and I had no
experience for a desk-type job. It was fast food, grocery store or
factory work back then. I was working 40+ hours up to the last month,
when the manager refused to give me more hours(his wife popped out
babies one after the other and he was the "expert" on pregnancy lol)
In my third pregnancy, I did not work at all and felt sooo worn out
all the time. I wondered during that time how I would be able to work
had I needed to work, feeling the way I did, but I think a person does
what they need to do to survive.
Marie
Old August 11th 05, 04:27 AM
GMR

I can say that there is definitely nothing wrong with you. I went
through something similar. I first knew Iwas pregnant because I was
falling alseep (literally) at work, and that is pretty much how my
entire first trimester went. Then trimester 2 arrived and I felt much
better. Then around week 26 I just lost all energy and had morning
sickness again! I could not make it through my work day, and I was
feeling like such a wimp because you hear of women who lwork until the
day their baby is born. Well I had a lot of pressure from my boss to
continue working at full capacity, so I just kept trying and pushing
myself until I just broke down. It was not pretty. I had to force
myself to cool it and also be firm with my boss, neither of which were
easy.
I also wondered what was wrong with me, but my midwife assured me that
some women have a third trimester very similar to their first and it
was totally normal. There is nothing wrong with you!! Just remember
that every woman has a different experience with pregnancy. Just be
sure to listen to your body and if you feel tired, lay down! Don't
push yourself!

Best Wishes and good luck!

Old August 11th 05, 04:49 AM
V.

"oregonchick" wrote in message
[...]

Nothing's wrong with you....you're pregnant! Knowing that you don't *have*
to work probably doesn't help you overcome the fatigue (which is good,
otherwise you'd push yourself too hard). I had a great first trimester,
with periods of fatigue, but no m/s. Since 2nd trimester is supposed to be
the "glowing" time, I thought I had this pregnancy thing easy (OK, and I
do). Even though I've had no major problems, I have little to no stamina.
I'm not sleepy though (hence the post well after my bedtime). It's like my
mind wants to be active, but my body just can't keep up. I have 4 wks of
sick time built up I thought I'd have trouble "spending down" prior to
birth....instead, I'm taking a few hours a week at least at 25wks. Even
when I am at work, I'm not really *at* work. Lots of loafing, scattered
thoughts, complete disorganization, and letting things go. I've had to
really relax my personal standards for what I consider "good work" (which
were always higher than my boss', so I'm hardly in danger of losing my job).
Here's a tip that helps me: I live very close to my office and have a job
that takes me out to home visits frequently. I go home for "lunch", and lie
down...not nap per se, but definitely a break. I've also gotten a "moon
chair" (like a tiny papasan chair) and ottoman for my office so I can
recline there with a book (work related of course).
My boss is great, I'm more upset about not being efficient than he is! I
think if I didn't work at all, I'd obsess way too much, so I think I'll
start arranging a part-time schedule soon, and take the last two weeks off
completely (i get disability for last two weeks before due date and 6 wks
after vaginal birth).

Yours in weariness,
Amy

Old August 11th 05, 11:59 AM
Jenrose

"oregonchick" wrote in message
I myself have a nice desk job and am currently working about 6 or 7 hours
per day. Up until last week, I felt invincible. Great energy levels and
was very productive. Then week 23 crept up, and suddenly I'm falling
asleep at my desk at 10am! Whoa... I wasn't really expecting that, at
least not so soon. Today, I got half way to work and turned around, got
home and crawled in bed. Slept for 2 hours, got up and had some lunch.
Barely managed to tidy my kitchen then fell asleep again for 2 hours.

You tidied your kitchen?

I gave notice befort TTC.

Jenrose

Old August 11th 05, 12:57 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:04:53 -0700, oregonchick wrote:

I just feel like a wimp. I know women who worked on their feet up until
delivery. One of our friends is a nurse and she did 12 hour shifts
until she gave birth. What's wrong with me???

You're pregnant. Your body is changing and this affects your daily life in
many small and big ways. Here in the Netherlands it is perfectly common
for a pregnant women to start her maternity leave 4-6 weeks prior to her
due date. For one, because you don't do much work when you're more than 34
weeks pregnant, but also because it is just really tough on your body.

Don't feel like a wimp. Every woman is different. Some manage to work up
until delivery, others need to be hospitalized at 25 weeks. You have no
control over this. Try to find a schedule of naps and work that works for
you. E.g. take a quick nap during lunch break if possible.

--
--I
mommy to DS (July '02)
Old August 11th 05, 05:29 PM
Nikki

oregonchick wrote:
I myself have a nice desk job and am currently working about 6 or 7
hours per day. Up until last week, I felt invincible. Great energy
levels and was very productive. Then week 23 crept up, and suddenly
I'm falling asleep at my desk at 10am!

I think it is normal. I worked up until my due date. It sucked frankly but
you do what you have to do. It was a desk job thank the lord. I did put an
end to all travel in the last month both because I didn't want to be hours
away and go into labor and I was to tired to drive. It wasn't so bad with
my first because I slept all the time I wasn't working. I had a toddler
during my second pregnancy and so couldn't sleep much (he also woke at night
a lot) and it was brutal. That pregnancy was not a good time. Having a
newborn and a 2yo all day was actually a relief. It was a grand vacation
because I was on maternity leave, lol. Makes me want to have another just
so I can get 3 months off again!

--
Nikki

Old August 11th 05, 06:16 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:57:05 +0200, Ilse Witch wrote:

Try to find a schedule of naps and work that works for
you. E.g. take a quick nap during lunch break if possible.

Oh, and think pillows, lots of small pillows. Under your belly, between
your knees, behind your back, whatever feels comfortable.

Old August 12th 05, 12:13 AM
oregonchick

"Jenrose" wrote in message
news:1123792355.9c9886330e6c06e340a3b7f781e6dac1@t eranews...

"oregonchick" wrote in message
I myself have a nice desk job and am currently working about 6 or 7 hours
per day. Up until last week, I felt invincible. Great energy levels and
was very productive. Then week 23 crept up, and suddenly I'm falling
asleep at my desk at 10am! Whoa... I wasn't really expecting that, at
least not so soon. Today, I got half way to work and turned around, got
home and crawled in bed. Slept for 2 hours, got up and had some lunch.
Barely managed to tidy my kitchen then fell asleep again for 2 hours.

You tidied your kitchen?

I gave notice befort TTC.

??? I don't get it...

Old August 12th 05, 12:29 AM

oregonchick writes:

: "Jenrose" wrote in message

: You tidied your kitchen?
:
: I gave notice befort TTC.

: ??? I don't get it...

I think she gave notice to her DH that at that point she would NOT
be tidying the kitchen. She gave the notice BEFORE putting the kid
in tne oven, so to speak.

Larry