Words

Old April 28th 07, 05:44 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

Default Words

DD1 is now 21 months. I'm really not too concerned at this point, but I wonder if I should be.
She does have kind of a wide range of vocabulary, but kind of doesn't.

She says the simple, basic words... Pooh Bear (her favorite and first word) cat, dog, yeah, done, more, Mama, Daddy, baby, car, van, night-night, diaper, pretty, etc.
She also tries on some words. Socks, which sounds more like, "dox", Sally, the cat's name, sounds more like, "Saza", Brandon (big brother) ALWAYS turns out like, "Dah", she says 'fish' but it sounds like "t" (as you'd pronounce "Tee" but take off the 'ee'), shoes sounds like, "doos", to name a few off the top of my head that I can think of.

She will not outwardly say yes or no. She will shake her head yes or no, but will not say either. She does walk around saying, "Yeah!" all the time, we will repeat it back to her and say simply, "Yes" (often as many times as she says yeah)

She knows what she's talking about. If you tell her to go find her shoes, she will dig through the closet, pull out each shoe that isn't hers until she finds her pair of shoes. She runs up to the fish tanks and says the 't' while pointing at the fish. She will spot a Winnie the Pooh from further than I can see. She does seem to be fairly intelligent and knows what she's talking about or what is being said to her. I've stood at the door calling DS in the house, and she'll stand behind me yelling, "DAH! DAH!" as I call. I'm not sure how you'd get 'Dah' from "Brandon" but that's what she will call him for some reason. She won't repeat things most of the time. If you ask her to say something, she will, more often than not, refuse to repeat it. Every now and then I can get her on a roll as to repeating words, ones she can clearly say, ones she cannot clearly say and ones that she doesn't use. She will point to her eyes/ears/hair/nose/etc, but again, will NOT repeat it!

I really am not concerned, but I'm just wondering if I should be. She is only 21 months old.
Should I just let her be?
Old April 28th 07, 06:54 AM posted to misc.kids
Tori M

if you are in the us, I can not remember if you are, it wouldnt hurt to have birth to 3 come out and do a quick evaluation. It takes no time at all and they are verry nice. Outside of the US I have no idea what you would have for services. If you need the services it is better to find out earlier as after 3 they are harder to get. Bonnie ended birth to 3 still behind but not behind enough to qualify for more help with the state.

Tori

--
Mom To:
Bonnie (03/20/02)

Old April 28th 07, 01:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Tori M" wrote in message
et...
if you are in the us, I can not remember if you are, it wouldnt hurt to have
birth to 3 come out and do a quick evaluation. It takes no time at all and
they are verry nice. Outside of the US I have no idea what you would have
for services. If you need the services it is better to find out earlier as
after 3 they are harder to get. Bonnie ended birth to 3 still behind but
not behind enough to qualify for more help with the state.

Tori

Jeff responds:

Every school district in the US will come out and evaluate young kids to see
if there educational services like speech therapy that little kids benefit
from. It is mandated by the federal government if the school district or
state gets federal funds. Michigan has a program called Early On
(1-800-Early On) that is similar. A lot of states have birth to 3 or zero to
3. You should be able to find links to it on your state's education page or
just call your pediatrician.

Jeff

PS, in the future, please set your newsreader to plain text (not HTML). It
makes it easier to read and to reply to. Thanks.

Old April 28th 07, 02:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

When my children started nursery school, the entire class ranged in age
from 23-27 months of age. There were 12 kids in the class. At the
start of the school year, only 4 children were talking; the rest had a
limited vocabulary of single words, but could understand everything said
to them. The teachers, both very experienced, weren't concerned at
all. The assured us that all the kids would be speaking soon enough,
and they were right. By mid-year (age 30 months on average) every child
in the class was talking a blue streak. You could see their language
skills improving every day.

As long as your 21-month old understands you, I wouldn't be at ALL
concerned. Even at the age of 14 months many children still haven't
reached the "explosion" of language. And that's normal.

My other suggestion would be that you join a playgroup of same-aged
children. There's nothing like comparing stories with other parents,
and observing other children, to help you determine when your child is
progressing normally and when something seems out of kilter.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old April 28th 07, 03:21 PM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

[...]

Tori M: We're in Canada. I don't think I've heard of a program similar to
what you have.
Jeff: My bad. Original post was done from the other computer, which isn't
used for the newsgroups except in a rare case.
Beth: We do go to quite a few playgroups on a local mom's group I'm a member
of. I don't go as often or as much as I would like (real hard getting out
and about with so many little ones, and most of the other moms have 1-2
children) We do hit the groups that are 'all ages' as some are set for only
toddlers, only babies under 6 months, etc. We also have 4 of our friends
with babies the same age as both DDs, and we're often with those other
babies to visit. I have noticed that of the 4 that are DD1's age, 2 of them
(both boys) seem to have a slightly better vocabulary, 2 of them (1 boy and
1 girl) are the same or lower. 2 other babies the same age I know through
one friend are both girls and both talking up a storm. DD1 seems to be
right in the middle.
I'm just thinking, and I keep telling my mom, she'll one day just start
talking all the time - on her own or words she will repeat after someone -
and from that point on she'll not stop. I keep telling my mom to enjoy the
quiet She does seem to be like her dad, though, more of an observer than
anything.

like me to reply.

Old April 28th 07, 03:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Tori M

--
Mom To:
Bonnie (03/20/02)
Xavier (10/27/04)
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!
Lucy Van Pelt (in Peanuts by Charles M. Schultz)

"Jeff" wrote in message
"Tori M" wrote in message
et...
[...]

My news sending is in plain text, but thanks for asking.

Tori

Old April 28th 07, 05:17 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"xkatx" wrote in

DD1 is now 21 months. I'm really not too concerned at this
point, but I wonder if I should be. She does have kind of a
wide range of vocabulary, but kind of doesn't.

snip
I'm not sure how you'd get 'Dah' from
"Brandon" but that's what she will call him for some
reason.

you aren't? say it slowly. Bran -Dah'n. ok, you might
pronounce it Bran-Done, but still...

She won't repeat things most of the time. If you
ask her to say something, she will, more often than not,
refuse to repeat it. Every now and then I can get her on a
roll as to repeating words, ones she can clearly say, ones
she cannot clearly say and ones that she doesn't use. She
will point to her eyes/ears/hair/nose/etc, but again, will
NOT repeat it!

that sounds like a normal 21 month toddler to me.

I really am not concerned, but I'm just wondering if I
should be. She is only 21 months old. Should I just let
her be?

i would. my son had no words, no sounds except an ambulance
siren noise & no babbling at 21 months. your daughter sounds
perfectly fine. it's quite normal to mispronounce when
learning to talk really.
lee
Old April 28th 07, 06:47 PM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

"Jeff" wrote in message
> [...]
"Tori M" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Mine read in plain text as well, but I did originally send from the other
computer, and as far as that goes, I would only assume that's the problem if
there was one. I didn't see one, but since the other computer is not used
for groups, I would only assume.

Old April 28th 07, 08:07 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 04:44:07 GMT, "xkatx" wrote:

I really am not concerned, but I'm just wondering if I should be.
She is only 21 months old. Should I just let her be?

She sounds pretty normal, but if you are concerned have early
intervention evaluate her speech. It's free and if she does need
speech therapy, it will be either free or very low cost. You don't
need a referral from a doctor, but can call them yourself. When you
do just mention what you say in your post.

You can find your early intervention he

http://www.nectac.org/contact/ptccoord.asp

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old April 28th 07, 08:10 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

http://www.earlyinterventioncanada.com/

http://www.earlyinterventioncanada.com/diagnosis.html

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

New words every day! [email protected] General 1 September 2nd 06 09:42 AM
Words Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General 1 April 30th 06 06:21 AM
first words Leann and Donald Twins & Triplets 2 February 21st 06 04:11 PM
first words sher Pregnancy 9 September 10th 04 05:13 PM
Age for first words? laurie General 22 May 28th 04 04:08 PM