I was just wondering, is it standard procedure in a normal delivery...

Old October 9th 06, 09:42 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
don_tspamme

Default I was just wondering, is it standard procedure in a normal delivery...

....for the doctor who is delivering your baby to only show up when you
are at the pushing stage? I guess it doesn't really bother me, as my
doctor was in contact with the nurses at the hospital and everything,
and I did see him earlier in the day when I first went into labor - I
just was surprised that this was so. Now I am due with a second, and my
first doctor has retired, so I am wondering if this is normal procedure
or if basically the doula/midwives are the ones who spend time with you
during the labor process and the doctor only shows up at the end? I
have to find a new doctor, and I don't know if what I'm looking for
(more handholding I guess???) is more of a doula thing than a doctor
thing...

Old October 9th 06, 10:23 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
V.

"don_tspamme" wrote in message
ups.com...
...for the doctor who is delivering your baby to only show up when you
are at the pushing stage? I guess it doesn't really bother me, as my
doctor was in contact with the nurses at the hospital and everything,
and I did see him earlier in the day when I first went into labor - I
just was surprised that this was so. Now I am due with a second, and my
first doctor has retired, so I am wondering if this is normal procedure
or if basically the doula/midwives are the ones who spend time with you
during the labor process and the doctor only shows up at the end? I
have to find a new doctor, and I don't know if what I'm looking for
(more handholding I guess???) is more of a doula thing than a doctor
thing...

I'm in New England, US and that's the typical situation here. In fact, I
was seeing an OB practice at the start of my pregnancy and started asking
questions about when the Dr would come, etc and didn't like the answers.
This practice had 7 Drs and whoever was on call for deliveries when you were
ready was the one to deliver the baby, no matter who your primary Dr was.
The Dr was called in only after at least 5cm dilation and basically aimed to
be there for less than a hour before the actual birth. This seemed to be
standard practice when I compared answers with other people in the area.
So, I switched to a midwife in the middle of my second trimester and was
very happy with the experience. This practice was two midwives under the
supervision of an OB practice, so you'd get either one of the midwives that
was on call, and if they felt that the OB needed to be called in, they had
one they were affiliated with. I alternated visits between the midwives so
I knew them both, and met the OB once so he would't be a stranger if I
needed him. I went to the hospital at 11pm, but was only 3 cm dilated, so
the nurses just notified the midwife on call and I stayed there since it was
30min from home and I did NOT want to get back in the car. At 7 am one of
the midwives came in to check on me and I was 5 cm dilated, so she stayed
and was very supportive. I didn't deliver until 1pm (after two hours of
hard pushing), and the midwife was with me the whole time. She never
mentioned C-section even after two hours of pushing because I was making
progress, albeit slow, and I had a completely drug free delivery that I am
very satisfied with.
Long story short, if you want lots of support and don't have any serious
complications to your pregnancy, I highly recommend nurse midwives. If you
need to be followed by an OB, get a doula.

Good luck,
Amy

Old October 9th 06, 10:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

don_tspamme wrote:
...for the doctor who is delivering your baby to only show up when you
are at the pushing stage?

Yes. It is also no uncommon for your doctor not to
deliver your baby. In the 2002 Listening to Mothers survey,
it said that 19 percent of women didn't know the person who
attended the delivery and another 10 percent were attended
by someone they had met only briefly.

If continuity of care is important to you, midwives
are more likely to be there for the delivery and to be with
you for more of the labor. A homebirth with a small practice
is pretty much the ultimate in continuity of care. It's also
a question you can (and should) ask of prospective caregivers.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 9th 06, 10:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Puester

don_tspamme wrote:
...for the doctor who is delivering your baby to only show up when you
are at the pushing stage? I guess it doesn't really bother me, as my
doctor was in contact with the nurses at the hospital and everything,
and I did see him earlier in the day when I first went into labor - I
just was surprised that this was so. Now I am due with a second, and my
first doctor has retired, so I am wondering if this is normal procedure
or if basically the doula/midwives are the ones who spend time with you
during the labor process and the doctor only shows up at the end? I
have to find a new doctor, and I don't know if what I'm looking for
(more handholding I guess???) is more of a doula thing than a doctor
thing...

In my experience it's not uncommon. Otherwise the Dr. would never be
able to schedule office hours because s/he'd be sitting in the hospital
most days and nights waiting it out with whoever was in labor.

gloria p
Old October 10th 06, 03:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"don_tspamme" wrote in message
ups.com...
...for the doctor who is delivering your baby to only show up when you
are at the pushing stage? I guess it doesn't really bother me, as my
doctor was in contact with the nurses at the hospital and everything,
and I did see him earlier in the day when I first went into labor - I
just was surprised that this was so. Now I am due with a second, and my
first doctor has retired, so I am wondering if this is normal procedure
or if basically the doula/midwives are the ones who spend time with you
during the labor process and the doctor only shows up at the end? I
have to find a new doctor, and I don't know if what I'm looking for
(more handholding I guess???) is more of a doula thing than a doctor
thing...

Very normal over here, and I'm in Alberta, Canada.
For all 3 of mine, the doctor was called towards the very end. For DS1, my
regular doctor was on holidays (of course, this happened over Xmas), and
that left the 2 other OBs in his office as the ones on call and covering for
my doc. Another doctor in original doc's office was the one called in for
my delivery, and she's the one that did my emergency section. After DS1 was
born, I requested to stick with this doctor that did the delivery, saw her
for my post-op and all that, and kept her as my doctor for DS2. Again, she
was called in towards the end and was not on holidays, was there for my VBAC
and I kept her for DD. She was actually on holidays when DD was born, so
the 3d doc in her office and the first doc I had originally were both on
call and covering for my doc while she was gone. The 3d doc in the office
did the VBAC for DD, and she was great, but I went back to my doc that
delivered DS2. I have her for #4, and I'm hoping she's not on holidays or
something come the end of this month!
DS1 was born early evening - 4:48pm on a Wednesday.
DS2 was born right afternoon - 12:14pm on a Wednesday.
DD was born mid afternoon - 2:46pm on a Thursday.
If my doc sat around waiting the whole day with me, basically from start to
finish, then there'd be no possible way she could have had any other women
for appointments or deliveries. I don't think it's possible for an OB or
doctor to basically hold each and every person's hand for labor and
delivery. Also, some could be on holidays, or unavailable for whatever
reason.

Old October 10th 06, 01:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

don_tspamme wrote:
...for the doctor who is delivering your baby to only show up when you
are at the pushing stage? I guess it doesn't really bother me, as my
doctor was in contact with the nurses at the hospital and everything,
and I did see him earlier in the day when I first went into labor - I
just was surprised that this was so. Now I am due with a second, and my
first doctor has retired, so I am wondering if this is normal procedure
or if basically the doula/midwives are the ones who spend time with you
during the labor process and the doctor only shows up at the end? I
have to find a new doctor, and I don't know if what I'm looking for
(more handholding I guess???) is more of a doula thing than a doctor
thing...

It depends on the doctor and the practice. The OB practice I used had
an arrangement that one of the doctors was in the hospital for 24 hours
straight. (While the other docs in the practice handled office visits.)
You saw every doctor during your prenatal care, so none of them were
strangers. Because the doc was in the hospital, he was in and out of
my room through the entire labor, checking on me often. When it was
time to push he wasn't there the whole time (I pushed for two hours and
there were other women in labor), but he was there for about the last
hour.
I had no objection to the setup. It seemed a good way to handle it.
(The L&D nurses were also all great.)

Naomi

Old October 10th 06, 03:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Bryna

Puester wrote:
don_tspamme wrote:
[...]

I agree that it's not uncommon (I used an OB for my first birth --
never again!) but it can't simply be because of office hour concerns.
Many midwives run practices that are identical to OBs, but are
nonetheless able to "wait it out" with the woman in labor, often by
having group practices where one midwife is "on call" for office
visits, while the others attend laboring women. OBs, in my experience,
just have a different standard of care. If you want someone to be with
you during labor, use a midwife.

Bryna

Old October 10th 06, 06:35 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Bryna wrote:

I agree that it's not uncommon (I used an OB for my first birth --
never again!) but it can't simply be because of office hour concerns.
Many midwives run practices that are identical to OBs, but are
nonetheless able to "wait it out" with the woman in labor, often by
having group practices where one midwife is "on call" for office
visits, while the others attend laboring women. OBs, in my experience,
just have a different standard of care. If you want someone to be with
you during labor, use a midwife.

As noted in my post, many (most?) OB's have group practices too, to
allow some docs to be in the office while others are at the hospital
for labors and deliveries.

I'd guess that a bigger difference (allowing the typical midwife to
spend more time with the laboring woman) is simply the size and scope
of the practice. Midwives have fewer patients (and since they usually
only handle childbirth they DON'T also have patients with gyn-related
concerns), and are able to plan their schedule so that they won't have
more than a few women due any single week. I'm sure that when OB's are
hanging out in the hospital anyway, they aren't just sitting in the
doctor's lounge watching Oprah while waiting for Mrs. Jones to crown.
They are tending to the other 5 women who are in labor at the same
time, being called down to the ER to check on OB/GYN-related cases,
doing emergency c-sections, and much more.

Naomi

Old October 10th 06, 08:51 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

...for the doctor who is delivering your baby to only show up when you
are at the pushing stage? I guess it doesn't really bother me, as my
doctor was in contact with the nurses at the hospital and everything,
and I did see him earlier in the day when I first went into labor - I
just was surprised that this was so. Now I am due with a second, and my
first doctor has retired, so I am wondering if this is normal procedure
or if basically the doula/midwives are the ones who spend time with you
during the labor process and the doctor only shows up at the end? I
have to find a new doctor, and I don't know if what I'm looking for
(more handholding I guess???) is more of a doula thing than a doctor
thing...

this is fairly normal, but of course what are the chances of it being your
doctor that actually makes it, a while back Ericka gave a figure of around
30%. It also means you have less skilled attendents earlier on, and then by
the time the doctor arrives, what to they actually do? Ok, so it is a time
when things do go wrong and interventions can be needed, but not as commonly
as you might think. As for the handholding, no doctor is going to do that,
there time is too precious, if you have a good L&D nurse they may do that,
but ideally it would be a midwife, with a doula as the 2nd choice. Have you
considered trying to find a midwife, not all are able to practice as one
mother one midwife, say in a birth centre setting, but many do.

Anne