Bad behaviour 'linked to smoking'

Old August 3rd 05, 12:50 AM
Jeff

"Jo" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

Or it could be that women who smoke in pregancy have traits that
correlate with both smoking and antisocial behavior.

Isn't that a given? Smoking *is* antisocial behaviour.

No, it isn't. Many people smoke in social settings, like bars.

It is a stupid behavior, but not necessarily antisocial.

Jeff

Jo

Old August 3rd 05, 04:03 AM
V.

"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...

"Jo" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

Or it could be that women who smoke in pregancy have traits that
correlate with both smoking and antisocial behavior.

Isn't that a given? Smoking *is* antisocial behaviour.

No, it isn't. Many people smoke in social settings, like bars.

It is a stupid behavior, but not necessarily antisocial.

Jeff

My guess here is her point was that smoking negatively impacts the health of
those around the smoker. Therefore, choosing to smoke (unless you
completely isolate yourself) means choosing to cause harm to others in order
to satisfy your own needs = antisocial behavior. You could even take that
further and say that by smoking you reduce your own lifespan, thus causing
harm to your family/friends and creating more health costs for society in
general, also antisocial behavior.
I'm not saying that I agree that smoking is necessarily indicative of
antisocial behavior, but you can make a case for it qualifying as such using
the psychological definition of antisocial behavior. I think you might be
using different definitions of "antisocial", Jo using the psychological
definition and Jeff using a "lay" definition.
Amy
FWIW, where I live smoking is not allowed in any public places (including
bars), so even the lay definition of antisocial could apply!

Old August 3rd 05, 07:04 PM
julie MT

I'm not saying that smoking is good for the body but you can't just
scare the crape out of moms-to-be. I am a mom-to-be and I'm trying to
quiet be kicking the habit is hard and with so many people telling they
need to quiet and asking if they have quiet makes it that much harder.
WE ALL KNOW SO STOP TELLING US!!!!!

My tought,
Julie mom-to-be

Old August 3rd 05, 09:06 PM
Mum of Two

"julie MT" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not saying that smoking is good for the body but you can't just
scare the crape out of moms-to-be. I am a mom-to-be and I'm trying to
quiet be kicking the habit is hard and with so many people telling they
need to quiet and asking if they have quiet makes it that much harder.
WE ALL KNOW SO STOP TELLING US!!!!!

I will when you stop telling people that you know someone who smoked and
whose kids were fine. It implies you don't really believe me.
Anyhow, and I'm not judging you, this is just out of genuine curiosity - I
remember you posting a while back, and your pregnancy was planned, right?
The general consensus is that quitting smoking is hard; anyone who says it's
easy was probably never truly addicted. Why didn't you quit then _before_
you began trying to get pregnant?

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old August 4th 05, 02:30 AM
Jeff

"V." wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...

"Jo" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

Or it could be that women who smoke in pregancy have traits that
correlate with both smoking and antisocial behavior.

Isn't that a given? Smoking *is* antisocial behaviour.

No, it isn't. Many people smoke in social settings, like bars.

It is a stupid behavior, but not necessarily antisocial.

Jeff

My guess here is her point was that smoking negatively impacts the health
of those around the smoker. Therefore, choosing to smoke (unless you
completely isolate yourself) means choosing to cause harm to others in
order to satisfy your own needs = antisocial behavior.

So I took the long way home in my car tonight. It is 0.05 mi longer than the
short way. I used 0.001 gallons of extra gas. This was to satisfy my own
pleasure of a more enjoyable drive. Is this antisocial behavior?

Some people are rather creative in their income taxes, resulting in a lower
tax bill. They end up satisfying their own needs instead of the common good.

This afternoon, I drank an extra diet soda. Because of that, I had to pee
two extra times, which resulting in wasting about 4 gallons of water. This
is caused harm to others by wasting natural resources. Was this antisocial?

You could even take that
further and say that by smoking you reduce your own lifespan, thus causing
harm to your family/friends and creating more health costs for society in
general, also antisocial behavior

Dead people have no health costs. So this is incorrect. Studies show that
smokers save money by decreasing Soc. Sec. outlays.

I'm not saying that I agree that smoking is necessarily indicative of
antisocial behavior, but you can make a case for it qualifying as such
using the psychological definition of antisocial behavior. I think you
might be using different definitions of "antisocial", Jo using the
psychological definition and Jeff using a "lay" definition.

By your definition of antisocial, I am antisocial.

Jeff

Old August 4th 05, 04:07 AM
Schmel Knighton

My cousin smoked bit her baby came out find she smoked for the whole
9mounths and didnt have no problem but th eonly thing is that the baby
was only 1pound higher from being a preeme

Old August 5th 05, 12:39 PM
Jeff

"julie MT" wrote in message
oups.com...
my sister has two kids and she smoked all the time she was PG and there
isnothing wrong with them!!!!
And they sweet children as well as well manered.It not the smoking
that's making children behave badly it the way we parent now. I had my
behind wiped enfough that I knew better than to miss behave.

My behind was wiped only after I pooped. And, eventually, I learned to wipe
and poop by myself.

Jeff

Old August 5th 05, 09:40 PM
Todd Gastaldo

"julie MT" wrote in message
oups.com...
my sister has two kids and she smoked all the time she was PG and there
isnothing wrong with them!!!!
And they sweet children as well as well manered.It not the smoking
that's making children behave badly it the way we parent now. I had my
behind wiped enfough that I knew better than to miss behave.

Jeff P.Utz, MD replied:

My behind was wiped only after I pooped. And, eventually, I learned to wipe
and poop by myself.

Jeff, if you are saying that there is no need to hit or slap children, why
not extend your criticism?

Your fellow MDs are allowed to close birth canals up to 30% on children's
skulls as they use forceps and vacuums to wrench their spines - pulling them
through birth canals senselessly KEPT closed the "extra" up to 30% when
babies get stuck.

Your fellow MDs are also allowed to strap babies to boards and make them
scream and writhe and bleed through having their penises senselessly ripped
and sliced/robbed of an "extra" body part.

Your fellow MDs are allowed to asphyxiate children (immediately clamp/cut
umbilical cords) - before children are ready to breathe on their own - which
robs children of up to 50% of their blood volume.

PREGNANT WOMEN: It is easy to offer your babies these "extras."

See ACOG's 2005 edition: How NOT to birth
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/3606

All in all Jeff, parents who slap/spank/"wipe" their children's behinds are
treating children rather mildly relative to routine treatment by American
MDs.

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon

Old August 6th 05, 02:36 AM
Jeff

"Todd Gastaldo" wrote in message

"julie MT" wrote in message
oups.com...
my sister has two kids and she smoked all the time she was PG and there
isnothing wrong with them!!!!
And they sweet children as well as well manered.It not the smoking
that's making children behave badly it the way we parent now. I had my
behind wiped enfough that I knew better than to miss behave.

Jeff P.Utz, MD replied:

My behind was wiped only after I pooped. And, eventually, I learned to
wipe
and poop by myself.

Jeff, if you are saying that there is no need to hit or slap children, why
not extend your criticism?

I am not saying that there is no need to hit or slap children. I said my
behind was wiped after I pooped. I said wiped, as in cleaned with toilet
paper.

garbage deleted

Old August 9th 05, 06:59 PM
julie MT

I agree that smoking isn't good for anyone! The habit is a hard one to
break. And not my pregnancy wasn't planed but is a joy for us even
those we wish it would have come latter. I'm trying to quit but it
makes it harder with people telling me that I need to quiet all the
time. And yes in the past I've fought with other addictions and for
some reason for smoking is the hardest for me to fight.

bringing another opinion,
Julie MT and mom-to-be

FOAD Bigots bobbie sellers General 190 August 1st 05 10:07 AM
Vitamin C May Cut Pregnant Smoking Risks Roman Bystrianyk Pregnancy 4 May 3rd 05 09:39 PM
Cancer alert for smoking parents Roman Bystrianyk Kids Health 1 January 30th 05 05:07 AM
Cancer alert for smoking parents Roman Bystrianyk Pregnancy 1 January 30th 05 05:07 AM
PUNISHMENT FOSTERS AGGRESSION IN CHILDREN, STUDY SHOWS Ivan Gowch Spanking 9 November 3rd 04 10:51 PM