300 more homeless children found in Northern California Homeless Survey

Old April 3rd 07, 03:43 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default 300 more homeless children found in Northern California Homeless Survey

Recently, I had the pleasure of attending the Redding & Shasta County
Homeless Continuum of Care's yearly meeting to discuss the results of
their homeless census. Although Redding Loaves and Fishes, as well as
the Redding Homeless Alliance believe the numbers really are
significantly higher, Don Meeks presentation on the homeless, "myth
or
fact", was a refreshing fresh breath of truth for those who are
trying
to make a difference in the lives of those who are poor and less
fortunate. Between Mr. Meeks presentation, and reporter Ryan
Sabalow's
concern for the homeless, as well as His attention to detail in His
article, a great stride forward was made in the fight against
homelessness. Well done !!

Unfortunatly, the City of Reddings response to the increase in
homelessness has, for the most part, been a dramatic increase in the
Law enforcement approach, with nothing in the works to address the
real issues and problems. In a little over 3 months 21 illegal
camping
tickets have been issued, as well as homeless camp sweeps that take
their possesions without due legal process. Possesions that the
Christian community, prompted by the Lord , want the homeless to
have.
I believe Tulin Ozdeger, a civil rights staff attorney at the
National
Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty, said it best in a recent
article."Laws that criminalize homelessness are not only an inhumane
way to treat some of our most vulnerable neighbors, but they
frequently pose constitutional problems and do nothing to address the
underlying causes of homelessness. Many of these measures have been
successfully challenged in court as violations of homeless persons
civil rights."

Redding Loaves and Fishes/Redding Homeless Alliance has been
painfully
aware of the increase in homeless children, especially during the sub
freezing , record breaking temperatures and virulent flu season we
have had this winter. The Shasta County Sherif"s local Office of
Emergency services refusal to open a warming shelter during our
record
breaking cold spell is nothing short of an abomination, and listening
to their represenative at a recent meeting, we can expect the same
response should a simular occurance happen. Does it really take
reports from fire depts. and hospitals that people are suffering for
City and County officals to take a safety first, pro active, injury
and sickness preventive action? Since there is no policy or plan in
place to activate opening an emergency warming shelter, what will it
take? Would you allow this in your Town? City ?

The Redding Homeless Alliance is havings its 5th in a series of
Community Homeless Forums Saturday, April 7th, at 1:00 pm, Church of
the Redeemed Fellowship hall.We also have speakers available for
Churches and other organizations who are interested in the facts and
not myths about homelessness. We believe Redding is a very caring,
giving and generouse community, so we are seeking and praying for an
apartment complex donation, so we can start taking steps to getting
the most vunerable population of the homeless off the streets, women
and children. Jesus says, " Whoever receives one little child in My
name receives Me". Please come and help us be a part of the solution,
All are welcome.

www.reddingloavesandfishes.com

Link to article:
http://www.redding.com/news/2007/mar...street-county/