How to tighten infant seat using lap+shoulder belt?

Old April 3rd 07, 02:37 AM posted to misc.kids
rachel[_2_]

Default How to tighten infant seat using lap+shoulder belt?

recently my boyfriend and i were able to finally get our baby seat
tight by reclining the baby seat. not the actual car's seat, but the
baby seat itself had a reclining mechanism. anyway, try that.

Old April 6th 07, 06:14 PM posted to misc.kids
JohnV@nn

Thanks for all the replies. We finally got the seats acceptably tight
using the locking clips that come with the seats. What we did was:
- thread the belt thru & buckle it
- put body weight on the seat and pull slack out of belt
- just above the buckle, pinch & hold the 2 parts of the belt together
- unbuckle the belt
- apply locking clip just above the buckle, where I had it pinched
- with body weight on the seat, re-buckle the belt.

This last step was the hard part. I had to pull up on the latch while
pushing down on the buckle, but eventually I got it to go. It's now
very tight.

I admit I didn't come up with the above on my own; it was in a video I
saw online (don't have the link handy).

Thanks,
John

On Apr 1, 8:39 pm, "JohnV@nn" wrote:
Hello,
We had no trouble tightening our son's child seat in the rear-seat
center position, but now we cannot get it tight in the either of the
outboard (left or right) positions. Our rear seat has a lap belt in
the center position, and lap+shoulder belts in the outside positions.
I could really crank down on it in the center, since pulling on the
lap belt will tighten the belt.

But unlike the center lap belt, these lap+shoulder belts have
retractors that normally only lock when you're in an accident;
fortunately, they have a locking setting that allows them lock as they
retract, so they won't pull back out. (Otherwise they'd be totally
useless for a child seat.) But there is no way that I can see to
really crank down the tightness. I can put my body weight on the
seat, but it's loose again when I let off.

Unfortunately, we don't have LATCH in the rear seat (car was made the
year before LATCH was standard).

Can anyone clue me in on how to tighten (I mean really tighten) a car
seat using a retracting lap+shoulder belt?

Thanks,
John