Thrush treatment and pain relief

Old February 1st 04, 02:26 AM
Usenet Fan

Default Thrush treatment and pain relief

I'm two days into Nystatin treatment for thrush. DS wasn't showing
any symptoms at his checkup, but at my six week checkup, I told the
midwife about my shooting nipple pain and she said that it was likely
thrush. So we're both being treated (I have cream, he has oral
liquid).

Assuming it is thrush, when should I get some relief from the pain?
It's one *really* sore nipple with some shooting pain after each feed.

I've taken Advil about an hour before BF'ing DS to manage some of the
ouch factor, but it still hurts enough to make me cringe, gasp and do
deep breathing for about a minute after he latches until the nipple
softens up and stops hurting so much.

Can I use Anbesol or Orajel on my nipple? Is that safe for me or DS?
Of course it's Saturday, so I'm posting here for advice until I can
talk to my midwife again.

This supposed thrush is in addition to the multiple episodes of
blocked ducts I've had. One was so bad (about 25-30% of one breast)
that no amount of massage, warm compresses, nursing or pumping drained
it. Until I saw the white spot in the nipple and used my tweezers to
work out a huge chunk of calcified hardened milk, then the whole thing
let loose like the proverbial crack in the dam. No blocked ducts
since then, but I'll know what the problem is if it happens again!

Advice appreciated!

Robin
and DS, eight weeks old tomorrow!
Old February 1st 04, 04:12 AM
Chotii

"Usenet Fan" wrote in message
m...
I'm two days into Nystatin treatment for thrush. DS wasn't showing
any symptoms at his checkup, but at my six week checkup, I told the
midwife about my shooting nipple pain and she said that it was likely
thrush. So we're both being treated (I have cream, he has oral
liquid).

Assuming it is thrush, when should I get some relief from the pain?
It's one *really* sore nipple with some shooting pain after each feed.

I'm not convinced that 'shooting pain' is always thrush. I certainly had
plenty of shooting pain in my heavier-producing breast, and it wasn't
thrush. But, if it IS thrush, you should expect antifungals to start giving
some relief, soon. Assuming that the strain of yeast you have isn't
resistant to the antifungal you're using! Personally, I much prefer
gentian violet which, though messy in the extreme, also requires only 3
treatments over the course of 3 days, and not multiple treatments per day
for (at minimum) weeks. Plus, fewer strains of yeast are apparently
resistant to it, than are resistant to Nystatin.

I've taken Advil about an hour before BF'ing DS to manage some of the
ouch factor, but it still hurts enough to make me cringe, gasp and do
deep breathing for about a minute after he latches until the nipple
softens up and stops hurting so much.

With thrush, typically the pain will NOT ease through the course of the
feed. If it does ease and vanish by feed's end, I would suspect some other
source of pain, such as an injury, a plugged duct, a nipple bleb (oh, those
hurt!) or some other cause.

Also, how does the nipple/aureola appear? Is the skin pinker or more red
than usual? Does it look taut/shiny so that the usual crinkles you see in
skin are not there (due to mild swelling)?

Can I use Anbesol or Orajel on my nipple? Is that safe for me or DS?
Of course it's Saturday, so I'm posting here for advice until I can
talk to my midwife again.

My gut feeling is, "No." and the reason is, IF there is an injury being
done, or a bad latch, you might not feel it like you should. That's the
last thing you should be doing right now. The way to get rid of pain is to
correct the cause, not to stop from feeling it.

This supposed thrush is in addition to the multiple episodes of
blocked ducts I've had. One was so bad (about 25-30% of one breast)
that no amount of massage, warm compresses, nursing or pumping drained
it. Until I saw the white spot in the nipple and used my tweezers to
work out a huge chunk of calcified hardened milk, then the whole thing
let loose like the proverbial crack in the dam. No blocked ducts
since then, but I'll know what the problem is if it happens again!

If I were in your shoes (and I have been), I'd do a number of things:

* Strive for a perfect assymetrical latch, with your nipple pointing toward
the roof of his mouth as he latches on;
* Make certain you nurse DS in every reasonable position at least once a day
on the affected breast; especially make sure you position him at least once
so his chin points at the areas that plug up.
* Examine your nipples for blebs (milk blisters; may also cause plugged
ducts); make sure they are cleared in any way necessary. A drop of plain
unscented mineral oil massaged into your nipple may help to clear further
blockages. I think it dissolves the calcification.
* Take 1000mg capsules of soya lecithin, available in any drug store or
grocery store's supplement section 2X or more, daily
* Lay off sugars and simple carbohydrates as much as possible; also some
people say to avoid foods whose production involves yeasts such as alcohols,
vinegars, certain cheeses.
* Consider buying some 1% Gentian Violet (call around to various
pharmacies - it's OTC but not everybody carries it) and use, according to
directions given by Dr. Jack Newman:
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/candi...col_12-02.html (actually this
page has a link, plus lots more useful information).

Good luck, and hang in there.

--angela