Private Foster Wharehouse has 33 kids removed

Old December 3rd 06, 10:11 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Greegor

Default Private Foster Wharehouse has 33 kids removed

Donald AKA Kane wrote
Or do you just stand back, let others do it, and
criticize? Bet that's what your life is about, isn't it now.

Greg wrote Job description for a CPS worker.

Kane wrote Hell, Gagg, five of you wouldn't make one worker of any
kind.

I had suspected some were harvesting organs, but
the Frankenstein idea? Naaa...

33 kids removed from Pelham foster home: Children taken after reports
of
bruises, neglect

http://www.shelbycountyreporter.com/...ews/news03.txt

By MEREDITH DONNELLY / Staff Writer
(Updated: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 4:37 PM CST)

Southern Oaks foster care facility in Pelham recently had 33 children
removed from its care after investigations into injuries of one
teenager.

The Alabama Department of Human Resources received complaints of
bruising on
the face and cheek of a 13-year-old boy in October, but it wasn't the
first
protest they'd received.

Andrea Mixson, a lawyer representing several of the children,
complained
about the first incident involving the same boy back in July.

Mixson said through speaking with her client and the administration,
the boy
received injuries in July that could have been part of a gang
initiation. "I
talked to the director and the administration at Southern Oaks, and
they
seemed to confirm that could be what happened and said they were taking

measures by preventing this from happening again." Mixson said the new
measures included separating the older children from younger, since
ages of
clients at the center range from 11 to 21 years of age.

Months later, Mixson received another call from Southern Oaks, saying
again
her 13-year-old client was involved in another possible gang-related
run-in.

"On both occasions I had the chance to review video tape," said Mixson,

adding that the tapes showed a lack of hallway monitoring and overall
supervision. "On the second occasion, the staff wasn't watching what
was
going on or stopping anything. They weren't watching when the kids were

going in and out of the hallways."

James Tucker with the Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program said,
"We've
been concerned about the facility for a period of time but we've never
had
anything concrete to act upon."

Mixson made a report to DHR in early October, and a couple weeks later
got a
reply saying they were looking in the matter. She learned Nov. 6 that
all
the children were being removed.

Larry Belin, a lawyer in Birmingham, spoke with Jefferson County Family

Court Judge Phillip Bahakel at an Oct. 27 hearing about the complaints
again
Southern Oaks.

He shared his concerns about the facility with the judge and later
provided
the court with an affidavit from a former Southern Oaks employee about
problems at the facility.

After the hearing, DHR was ordered by Bahakel to investigate Southern
Oaks
before any other children could be placed at the center.

The owners of Southern Oaks were unable to be reached for comment.

Southern Oaks is licensed by DHR to provide a home for children
receiving
foster care for the first time. While there, the privately owned
facility
reviews each child's needs. Although according to its contract with the

state, Southern Oaks could house up to 66 children, ages 11 to 21, the
33
children removed were the only ones currently staying at the center.

"This is the first time in many years we've seen DHR removed this many
children from a facility. It's a significant event for this many
children to
be removed," said Mixson.

John Bradford, a DHR representative, said he could not release any
further
details at press time, and that details relating to a specific child
abuse
and neglect report are confidential.

Throwaway kids wexwimpy Foster Parents 0 June 22nd 06 04:52 PM
Foster parents need support from the state wexwimpy Foster Parents 3 June 18th 06 07:39 AM
The faces of foster care wexwimpy Foster Parents 0 May 25th 06 06:12 PM