Dentist and breastfeeding

Old January 13th 04, 01:39 PM
Nancy

Default Dentist and breastfeeding

Is it ok to go to the dentist for cavity/root canal etc etc during
breastfeeding period?
WHat about these agents? will they get into the breast milk?
antibiotics - amoxocillin
new amalgam filling (mercury)
prilocaine/lidocaine for numbing
temporary filling before root canal
root canal agents

Thanks
any advice would be great for me

Old January 14th 04, 12:12 AM
Larry McMahan

In misc.kids.breastfeeding Nancy wrote:
: Is it ok to go to the dentist for cavity/root canal etc etc during
: breastfeeding period?
yes. no problem.
: WHat about these agents? will they get into the breast milk?
: antibiotics - amoxocillin
not enough get into your system to affect the milk.
: new amalgam filling (mercury)
you should avoid this for your own good. Pay the difference to get
composite fillings.
: prilocaine/lidocaine for numbing
no problem
: temporary filling before root canal
no problem
: root canal agents
They sometime give ephinephrine to reduce bleeding. I don't think it
would affect breastfeeding, but I don't like it cause it make me jumpy.

: Thanks
: any advice would be great for me

Good luck,
Larry
Old January 14th 04, 11:55 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"Nancy" wrote:

Is it ok to go to the dentist for cavity/root canal etc etc during
breastfeeding period?
WHat about these agents? will they get into the breast milk?

probably ... either stock up on expressed milk or put the baby on
formula for a while after the visit.

antibiotics - amoxocillin

check with the dentist - it is excreted in milk

new amalgam filling (mercury)

no
prilocaine/lidocaine for numbing

(very short term)
temporary filling before root canal

doubtful - it's not going to dissolve is it?

root canal agents

What are these?

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or
Old January 14th 04, 03:48 PM
iphigenia

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

probably ... either stock up on expressed milk or put the baby on
formula for a while after the visit.

See, there are women who don't want to give formula if at all avoidable. And
there are infants who refuse to take bottles. Better, IMO, to realistically
examine the potential concerns and find out if there's any real reason to
supplement - and in this case, there absolutely isn't - rather than give a
pat "just give formula or EBM just in case," which seems to be a preferred
MD response despite the level of stress it causes many nursing mothers.

antibiotics - amoxocillin

check with the dentist - it is excreted in milk

See, here's an example. Amoxicillin is not only very commonly given to young
pediatric patients, it's a Hale's category L1 (as are all penicillin-derived
ABX that I'm aware of). Withholding the breast due to being treated with
amoxicillin is madness, especially considering the additional stress it
places on the infant's caregivers.

(L1 SAFEST: Drug which has been taken by a large number of breastfeeding
mothers without any observed increase in adverse effects on the infant.
Controlled studies in breastfeeding women fail to demonstrate a risk to the
infant and the possibility of harm to the breastfeeding infant is remote; or
the product is not orally bioavailable in an infant.)

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net