Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide?

Old September 30th 03, 01:10 PM
Mxsmanic

Default Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide?

Joel M. Eichen D.D.S. writes:

Not necessarily. There is a cortical plate covering a spongier type of
bone. Bone is filled with blood vessels, etc.

Well, you still have to drill through the plate.

Old September 30th 03, 02:07 PM
Dr Steve

Hi Dan,

I am training a new DA right now. Hired this young lady off the street (no
dental experience). Dynamite gal ! She only needs to be shown things once.
learns instantly, has a great attitude, smiles a lot, is happy all day long,
and is looking for more things to learn all day long. She is already asking
about how to get certified. VBG

--
~+--~+--~+--~+--~+--
Stephen Mancuso, D.D.S.

This posting is intended for informational or conversational purposes only.
Always seek the opinion of a licensed dental professional before acting on
the advice or opinion expressed here. Only a dentist who has examined you
in person can diagnose your problems and make decisions which will affect
your health.
Please ignore j..d...
~~~~``````````#####----

"carabelli" wrote in message

"Dr. Steve" wrote in message
.com...
Sure a crummy dentist can make a kid afraid of dentistry. But, a parent

who
is frightened of dentistry tends to *usually* extend that fear right

into
the child. Now I have seen some very thoughtful frightened parents who
worked very hard not teach their children to be frightened of dentistry.
But, most parents just never notice all the negative remarks they make

and
the various faces they make which the kids see and hear.

Steve - how's the asst situation now? Been there done that.

I think a lot of parents do try (to the best of their ability) however

they
don't know how to approach it. It ends up being doubly frustrating for

them
and by the time they get home guess who is the bad guy?

This weekend while watching the Chiefs (or maybe it was the KU-MU game

which
I am sure Steve Fawks taped for me) I saw an ad for some major company (I
forget who - with good reason) with some guy screaming in a dental chair.
Of course it had nothing to do with their product, just an attention
grabber. This stuff does nothing but drive the very ones that need it,

away
from the general dentist.

I understand it is an advertising grabber and an easy laugh in a sitcom

but
watch closely. It's out there on the tube far too often and reinforces
preconceptions reflecting old dentistry and old attitudes that do not

apply
in a modern dental office. I wonder if these people realise the problems
people could easily have resolved if they were not projecting their own
fears or ignorance.

If it hurts find another dentist. It shouldn't

carabelli

Old September 30th 03, 02:17 PM
Dr Steve

I don't know how many times I have seen parents describe the entire dental
experience to a young child, trying to make it sound as gentle and innocent
as possible. They tell the kid "it won't hurt" when we stick the sharp
metal instruments in their mouth. "It won't hurt" when they put that hard
thing in your mouth to get x-ray pictures. "Just close your eyes" if that
huge bright light is too powerful. The kid listens between the lines and
figures the parent is bringing these things up because the parent is
frightened and the kid becomes scared. Or, the kid just hears the "sharp',
"hard", "powerfully bright" part, and gets scared.

Kids do best when the parents say ZERO about the dental office before
bringing the kid in, and if they never make a big deal out how the kid did
at the office. Keep it low key and normal.

Often, the parents mess the kids up before we ever get to see them, and the
parents were trying their best to help.

Kids do best when they are a "blank slate" the first time we see them. At
most, sneak a Barney video or read a child's book which has a kid going to
the dentist, in the middle of a bunch of there ones so the kid does not
perceive it as anything special.

~+--~+--~+--~+--~+--

Old September 30th 03, 02:23 PM
Dr Steve

Pain is a relative thing. It can not be measured or described. It is also
directly proportional to emotional state.

So, those patients who are afraid of dentistry, are notoriously difficult to
get fully numb. They get their system worked up to a point that sometimes
NO amount of local anesthetic will work. Couple that with them coming in to
the office after years of neglect with a swollen face that needs attention
NOW. Afterwards, they will think this dentist does not know how to give
anesthetic. Ideally, the dentist would give medications and bring the
patient back, but sometimes, that is just not a very good choice. Also,
some patients will hide their anxiety well enough that the dentist thinks
they are numb and get part-way into a RCT, only to discover the patient is
still feeling it. The dentist can put the anesthetic directly into the RCT
and get the tooth completely numb at that point despite the emotional state,
but the patient will feel pain while the anesthetic is injected inside the
tooth.

Add to the mix that there are probably some dentists who are not very good
at using anesthetic, but judging by what I have seen in school and after, I
think that is a VERY minor part of the equation.

--
~+--~+--~+--~+--~+--

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
carabelli writes:

If it hurts find another dentist. It shouldn't

It's worrisome to me that people still fear dentists today. Anesthesia
has been around for generations, and dentistry when properly practiced
is essentially painless. Why are so many people still afraid of pain?
Just how many dentists are there out there who still don't know how to
administer anesthesia properly?

My current dentist is painless. So were all my previous dentists. Even
the pediatric dentist who worked on me when I was little was painless; I
didn't care for him and I hated going to the dentist, but it wasn't
really because of pain (it was mainly because of x-rays and his
chairside manner, mainly).

Old September 30th 03, 02:50 PM
madiba

Wendy wrote:

In misc.kids dragonlady wrote:

That's a little harsh, and in this case most likely inaccurate. He does
have some history that would explain his fear, but even if he didn't
there does not need to be conditioning by a parent for a child to
develop fears!

In May of 2002 he required emergency surgery for perforated intestines and
peritonitis. This involved three hours of surgery during which
they pulled all his intestines out of his body and went through
them inch by inch. Following the surgery on the ward I cried plaintively
for them to help my son with his pain. I was ignored as a hysterical
mother. He went 12 hours post surgery without morphine until a family
member who's an R.N. showed up and taught me the right language: "Give
him 1 mg of morphine NOW!"

We continued to struggle to get him meds the entire time. He was
frequently in severe pain. Most of the nurses thought he had had
laparoscopic surgery. The rest of them had some puritan reason for not
letting him have morphine. Even when the doctor put him on scheduled
morphine (because they weren't responding to my requests) they still
skipped doses. I frequently had to ask them three times. Once I fell
asleep and they deliberately skipped his 2 am dose. I woke at 6 to find
him in a rictis of pain.

Right before he left a new resident came in and yanked out a drainage tube
that was stitched in place. It was ghastly and painful beyond belief.

Shortly after we got out of the hospital we went for a haircut and the
barber sprayed water on his head and he totally freaked out. He hasn't
allowed us to get his head wet ever since. (Hair washing is very
traumatic at our house.) I don't get the connection, but he's got one.

I have no particular reason to think that the trauma he underwent left him
unscarred. Nor would I call his avoidance of pain "irrational". The kid
has handled more pain in his young life than I hope you ever see.

I don't think giving him anti-anxiety meds before a procedure is such a
bad idea.

After having heard the whole story, you're probably right. But there are
plenty of tranquillisers out there besides Valium.
I get the feeling the morphine trips in hospital sensitised him. Careful
when he reaches his teens..

--
madiba
Old September 30th 03, 03:06 PM
Scott Seidman

"Dr Steve" wrote in
.com:

Add to the mix that there are probably some dentists who are not very
good at using anesthetic, but judging by what I have seen in school
and after, I think that is a VERY minor part of the equation.

An old friend of mine is an anesthesiologist with a private pain practice,
so he carries his own malpractice. He's developed a dental anesthesia
practice, where he travels with full gear, including emergency gear and
crash cart, to dentists' offices for bigger procedures. He's an
anesthesiologist, so he knows all the agents and methods like the back of
his hand, and he stays current. He uses agents that dentists might not
even know about, when its the best tool for the job at hand.

The patients love it. The dentists love it. He swears the dentists hand
him money, and still act like he's doing them the absolute biggest favor in
the whole world.

Scott
Old September 30th 03, 07:46 PM
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

I am sorry, I tuned in late. What newsgroup is this?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:07:56 GMT, "Dr Steve" wrote:

Hi Dan,

I am training a new DA right now.

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

DISCLAIMER FOLLOWS:

*********

Dental health-related material
is provided for information purposes
only and does not necessarily
represent endorsement by or an official
position of the SciMedDentistry gang
or any other official agency either
actual or fictitious or Steve Mancuso.

Advice on the treatment or care
of an individual patient should
be obtained through consultation
with a dentist who has examined
that patient or is familiar with
that patient's dental history.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER
Old September 30th 03, 09:32 PM
madiba

Dr Steve wrote:

Hi Dan,

I am training a new DA right now. Hired this young lady off the street (no
dental experience). Dynamite gal ! She only needs to be shown things once.
learns instantly, has a great attitude, smiles a lot, is happy all day long,
and is looking for more things to learn all day long. She is already asking
about how to get certified. VBG

Oops, I think this was supposed to be an email.. VBG
--
madiba
Old September 30th 03, 09:58 PM
Dr Steve

Actually wanted to share my good news with some of my good friends in SMD.
Some of us are actually face-to-face friends.

--
~+--~+--~+--~+--~+--

Old September 30th 03, 10:30 PM
Wendy

In misc.kids Dr Steve wrote:
Pain is a relative thing. It can not be measured or described. It is also
directly proportional to emotional state.

So, those patients who are afraid of dentistry, are notoriously difficult to
get fully numb. They get their system worked up to a point that sometimes
NO amount of local anesthetic will work.

I think you've confused correlation and causality. I don't like dentistry
specifically BECAUSE I am unresponsive to novacaine. And because of that
I am especially conscientious about my dental ca I get regular
cleanings, brush twice a day and floss: BECAUSE I don't want to have to
have any more painful cavities filled.

My kids get regular cleanings and exams, orthodontic care, brush & floss &
rinse with flouride rinse and took flouride supplements when they were
little. My two older kids have a combined age of 26 and one cavity
between 'em. (My third is the one in the OP.)

I just don't think that "fear of pain" translates into "lousy dental
patient".

Wendy