Maternity clothes in US

Old January 25th 05, 07:42 PM
Ilse Witch

Default Maternity clothes in US

Girls, this is serious ;-) I looked all over the stores and online to find
some nice maternity clothes. I have a couple of pants, but I would like to
have some nice shirts and something fancy to dress up. So far *everything*
I have found is either soft pink or frilly or both. I ran away screaming
when I even looked at the window displays in most stores. The one store
that I knew to have nice outfits had disappeared from the mall.

I browsed online, found one or two nice shirts, but that's it. These
shirts are horribly expensive (think $100+ for 1 shirt) and most don't
come in XL either (I'm tall, so I need that for length).

I'm desperate. Anyone here know of a good store (east-coast US) or online
store that might sell nice clothes? My style is colourful (bright colours,
as much as you can fit on a sinlge item), but straight forward without too
many frills (no lace or such for me).

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old January 25th 05, 07:48 PM
Rebecca Jo

"Ilse Witch" wrote:

[...]

I bought some stuff at motherhood.com. Didn't buy any shirts - for now I'm
existing in my husband's baggy shirts. But I got some nice pants, overalls,
and a dress. Their shirts look okay to me. Not sure if they'll be to your
style though.

Old January 25th 05, 07:52 PM
Circe

What size do you wear, Ilse? I've got quite a lot of lovely, non-frilly
maternity shirts in my closet I'd be happy to send you if you're a
Medium-Large.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old January 25th 05, 07:58 PM
Emily

Ilse Witch wrote:
[...]

Have you tried gap.com and landsend.com? Both have maternity
selections, which I think you can't find in brick & mortar stores,
though with gap at least you can do returns from the online site
at stores. They seem to be tending towards single colors this season,
but bright ones at least. Old Navy has maternity stuff as well.

Emily
Old January 25th 05, 08:13 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Ilse Witch wrote:

[...]

Maternity wear is a royal pain, but you should have
some options. Lands End has some nice, tailored things, but
I doubt you'll find lots of colorful patterns there. They
tend toward more basics. Gap and Old Navy both have maternity
wear online. I haven't gotten any of their maternity clothes,
so I don't know how they are for quality or fit, but my hunch
would be that you'd find more colorful stuff there.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 25th 05, 08:22 PM
Mary W.

Ilse Witch wrote:
[...]

Some online places include: Lands End, Old Navy, Gap, JC penney (they
have tall pants too). Lands End has talls too, I think. Japanese
Weekend has some cute stuff (I never had anything from them, but it
looks cute, although pricey). They have a new "multiples" line

I liked my lands end shirt and pants. Got a cute jumper from motherhood,
but found thier stuff to run small. Old Navy t-shirts were OK, but I'm
tall and found they weren't long enough near the end. All my old stuff
was from JC penney because they were the only place that carried tall
at the time. Oh and I found a very cute summer dress and sleeveless
shirt at Kohls online, very cheap. Thier selection is pretty slim
right now, but seems to vary alot.

Mary W.
Old January 25th 05, 08:55 PM
Fiona

I like Old Navy on-line. They have a good selection and the prices are
very reasonable. I also *love* H&M if you have a store nearby. I
bought a couple of maternity tops and a pair of jeans from H&M and
always get asked where did I buy them.

HTH
Fiona
DS 35 months
EDD 7 March

Old January 25th 05, 08:55 PM
Beach Mum

If money is not an object, Liz Lange (not the stuff at Target) has
beautiful. I bought a stunning dress there for (gasp) $270, but it was
totally worth it. I've seen the pictures and no one will even complain that
I wasn't dressy enough for my brother's wedding. Know, however, that their
sizing is (a) screwy, so that a 1 is equivalent to some normal size and (b)
their equivalencies are nonsense. Therefore, if they say you'd wear a 2
because you normally wear a 6, they're confused. In Beverly Hills, they
don't even carry larger sizes, but I know their stores back east do since
they were going to order larger dresses for me to try on.

Good luck, I just dropped another bunch of money on yet more clothes since
I've outgrown all of the mediums in every top I own and have 3-5 weeks to
go. Phooey!

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

news

Old January 25th 05, 09:02 PM

Ilse Witch wrote:
Anyone here know of a good store (east-coast US) or online
store that might sell nice clothes? My style is colourful (bright

colours,
as much as you can fit on a sinlge item), but straight forward

without too
many frills (no lace or such for me).

I went totally nuts trying to find clothes that weren't floral-y or
capris. I ended up with a lot of the stretch Ts from Gap, a nice
version of the little black dress from Belly Basics (Nordstrom), and
two pairs of Lands Ends maternity pants. I had several pieces from the
Belly Basics line and like them all. They are available at
Nordstrom.com and some are in-store (but selection is limited).

Manda