| Ex Giants player sentenced-DYFS wrkr no harm noticed

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 8th 03, 07:39 PM
Kane

Default | Ex Giants player sentenced-DYFS wrkr no harm noticed

On 08 Sep 2003 17:12:08 GMT, (Fern5827) wrote:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...0906sep06,0,54
40815.story?coll=ny-ap-regional-wire

Ex-Giants defensive end sentenced in child's death

September 6, 2003, 1:48 PM EDT

PATERSON, N.J. -- Former New York Giants defensive end Jeremiah

Parker received
the maximum sentence of 10 years in prison for his role in the death

of an
ex-girlfriend's 4-year-old son.

Parker was sentenced Friday, two months after a jury convicted him of
endangering the welfare of a child in the second degree. The same

jury
acquitted him of first- and second-degree manslaughter.

He also pleaded guilty Friday to marijuana possession and received a

six-month
sentence, which will run concurrently with the longer one. He must

serve five
years before being eligible for parole.

Since his conviction, Parker has been held at the Passaic County

Jail.

His attorney, Gerald Saluti, called the sentence "ridiculous" and

said he would
file an appeal on Monday, including a request for bail.

Saluti said the judge relied too heavily on testimony from Parker's
ex-girlfriend, Tauleah Kelly, who pleaded guilty to manslaughter in

January and
was sentenced to seven years in prison.

Prosecutors contended that 4-year-old Elijah Kelly endured two months

of abuse
from both Parker and his own mother before he died May 14, 2001.

"It was a house of horrors at 305 Heights Drive, and Elijah Kelly was

horrified
every day," Senior Assistant Prosecutor Michael DeMarco said.

According to testimony and statements, Parker regularly spanked

Elijah, twice
hit the boy with a belt and punished him by placing him in a

refrigerator in
the garage at his Haledon condominium.

In April 2001, Elijah was taken to the hospital with a head injury

and,
spotting healed scars, medical staff reported the situation to the

state
Division of Youth and Family Services.

A DYFS caseworker did not see any new injuries during a visit three

days before
Elijah went to the hospital for the last time.

The Giants drafted Parker in the seventh round in 2000, but he played

just four
games as a defensive end due to an injury and Elijah's death.

His defense attorney sought leniency during sentencing hearings,

saying Parker
overcame a rough background in Richmond, Calif., and had no previous

brushes
with the law.

Parker attended the University of California at Berkeley to stay

close to his
brother, who was paralyzed in a drive-by shooting, Saluti said.

"He pulled himself through all of that without a scratch from the

justice
system," Saluti said.

Parker's current girlfriend, Catherine Cruz, testified that he would

never harm
her 5-year-old daughter.

"Day after day, she continually asks for Mr. Parker," Cruz said

through tears.
"I lie to her. I tell her Mr. Parker is working. I become speechless.

.... Never
will I give this man up in a million years. He has suffered for so

long and
lost so much."

But Superior Court Judge Randolph Subryan told Parker that the court

had no
mercy to give him.

"You gave none," Subryan said, "and you deserve none."

....Hmmmm did the glamour of the football player cloud the assessment

of the
DYFS worker?

Three days before the events that put the child in the hospital?

Could be, could be.

Could The Plant be trying to put doubts in folks minds? Could The
Plant be hoping they won't know they are being throughly patronized?
Could be. Could be.

Or, thinking in another vein, do DYFS interventions make living
conditions more difficult for children?

CPS caused the injuries? How would they go about doing that? I mean,
even you had a tiny bit of credibility when you tried to claim that
CPS interventions might have some deleterious affect on families with
teens, but in this case? A tiny child against a big athlete?
Puuuuuleeeeeeeze.

Or is the man just a large bully? Were family called in for kinship

care?

What is your point? Just run out of smoke for your screen?

Lots of questions in how DYFS handled this family.

But few from you that have any sense to them.

Remember CPS seems NOT to have diminished the occurrence of child

deaths in the
US.

What careful wording in an attempt to mislead the reader. Been taking
lessons from Duplicitous Doug?

Why do you say, "seems" instead of making a clear statement?

Why do you use the word "occurance" when the proper measure would and
should be "rate"?

In fact it is YOU that has posted many times here that over the years
the "occurance" has remained steady while the population has, of
course, increased tremendously.

That shows something is keeping the rate down.

Notice that the rate has to be going down dispite the fact that the
economy has gone up and down, a known factor that increases the
occurance and could be expected to effect the rate....but doesn't.

In other words, some factor IS in fact holding down the *rate* of
child deaths.

Is that factor you and your cronies, or is it CPS?

If you think it is you, et al, tell us why.

If you think it ISN'T CPS we'd also like to see your data and
supporting evidence.

Have a nice rainy fertilizer enriched day, Plant.

Kane