lead hazard in apparently all Christmas lights

Old December 21st 03, 01:15 AM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Handwashing and illness

In article ,
chiam margalit wrote:

How does the school handle kids with excema who can't wash their hands
that often? Or kids with allergies to soap products?

It hasn't come up, but I'm sure they'd work something out. Even if one
child didn't wash their hands as often, the general culture of
handwashing should minimize the spread of germs. Presumably kids with
allergies to soap products have some alternative they can use. With
excema, wouldn't using a eucerin or similar cream afterwards counteract
the negative effects of frequent washing? They're very good about
dealing with kids' individual needs at this school, so they'd come
up with something mutually agreeable.

--Robyn

Old December 21st 03, 04:53 AM
Iowacookiemom

Default Hygiene (was: Handwashing and illness

I love the notion of a school-wide handwashing initiative! While I can
certainly understand there may be some for whom skin problems would require
accommodations, I think the overall life skill lesson would be wonderful... and
potentially a life-long benefit.

We're very careful about handwashing in our house (I'm borderline fanatical
about it) and my son routinely tells me how horrifying it is that virtually no
other boys wash their hand after using the restroom. He's smart enough to know
he'd be branded a nerd if he reminded them... he's trying to lead by example.

This leads me to a not-so-endearing "lead by example" Henry story. He's a bit
ahead physically and has had several of the puberty things happening for a
while now. He's self-conscious about body odor and had a discrete container of
deoderant in his locker. Then, through some marketing scam that I must find
and destroy, he decided he simply must, must, must have Axe deoderant -- a
weird mix of spray-on deoderant and men's cologne. He would not be dissuaded,
and my dh, remembering the woes of puberty himself, bought some for Henry.

Soon afterward, Henry was out and needed more. I chalked it up
-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Old December 21st 03, 05:01 AM
Iowacookiemom

Default CTTD? Hygiene ( Hygiene (was: Handwashing and illness

Sorry to follow up on my own post but I hit "send" inadvertently and didn't
finish my story... repeating it below for those who may have missed the first
part...the end is below the quote.

This leads me to a not-so-endearing "lead by example" Henry story. He's a
bit
ahead physically and has had several of the puberty things happening for a
while now. He's self-conscious about body odor and had a discrete container
of
deoderant in his locker. Then, through some marketing scam that I must find
and destroy, he decided he simply must, must, must have Axe deoderant -- a
weird mix of spray-on deoderant and men's cologne. He would not be
dissuaded,
and my dh, remembering the woes of puberty himself, bought some for Henry.

Soon afterward, Henry was out and needed more. I chalked it up

....to using too much the first few days because it was new. So we bought more.
Eventually he admitted to my husband that he'd taken the first can to school.
I shook my head in disbelief and let the men of the house handle it -- I
figured it was a guy thing. I did worry a bit that, rather than discretely
keeping Henry from standing out as one who had body odor, it would instead make
him stand out as the kid who smelled like bad, cheap men's cologne. But
whatever, right?

So I was in his classroom for the first time in a few weeks last week, and I
noticed his can of Axe was sitting right on his desk --- I was a embarassed for
him until I glanced around more and saw that virtually every boy in class had a
can of Axe on his desk. Apparently puberty has set in in a few other cases and
the rest are going along with the crowd... I'm told Henry was the trendsetter
;-)
-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11